TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sell my 2007 GT500 SVT#12

msbmustang54

Hi Everyone,

2 years and 3 months without an Electronics Engineering Job and the wife is pressuring me to sell my 07 GT500 SVT#12. ..And with Calif

about to increase car fees under "Moon Beam" Jerry Brown I may not have a choice.

However it appears that used ones with much less miles than mine are going for around $33k? Mine has 90K miles with 50k put on by Ford. Mine was purchased from Port Clinton Ford who got it directly from the Ford testing grounds the first few months they were out, which is how I got SVT#12. I know mine predates the vin# and production date of the 1st one sold to Ron Pratte but I do not know what his SVT# is! His vin# ends in 0001 but was built later than mine and has a later VIN#. His SVT# would be very interesting but no one knows what that is. I was told one of the actual Fords, I think Edsel B Ford 2, has SVT#7 and some of the first pre-production (of which mine is one), but fully stock 2007 GT500's, were destroyed in testing.

Anyway my question now is if my rather unusual 2007 GT500 is worth anything extra or should I just take it off the insurance and park it? I know with this terrible economy and my advanced age, 56, I might not work again (not many engineering jobs in California for audio/analog engineers now) which means I would probably never be able get another one! So if is it only worth $33k or so off into storage it goes! However what I need to know is if being the SVT#12 and predating Ron Pratts vin#...00012007 GT500 does that make it worth anything extra to collectors? I asked this same question a couple of years ago and the consensus was NO! because of the high mileage.

Thanks everyone on the great forum for any input on selling my "dream car" :banghead::( (wanted a Shelby ever since the Bill Cosby Shelby routine when I was a Kid).

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

PS - Also if I do have to list it where is the best place to do that online? Here in the Shelby classifieds or somewhere else?

post-21043-0-82949500-1297128674_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-82949500-1297128674_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

2 years and 3 months without an Electronics Engineering Job and the wife is pressuring me to sell my 07 GT500 SVT#12. ..And with Calif

about to increase car fees under "Moon Beam" Jerry Brown I may not have a choice.

However it appears that used ones with much less miles than mine are going for around $33k? Mine has 90K miles with 50k put on by Ford. Mine was purchased from Port Clinton Ford who got it directly from the Ford testing grounds the first few months they were out, which is how I got SVT#12. I know mine predates the vin# and production date of the 1st one sold to Ron Pratte but I do not know what his SVT# is! His vin# ends in 0001 but was built later than mine and has a later VIN#. His SVT# would be very interesting but no one knows what that is. I was told one of the actual Fords, I think Edsel B Ford 2, has SVT#7 and some of the first pre-production (of which mine is one), but fully stock 2007 GT500's, were destroyed in testing.

Anyway my question now is if my rather unusual 2007 GT500 is worth anything extra or should I just take it off the insurance and park it? I know with this terrible economy and my advanced age, 56, I might not work again (not many engineering jobs in California for audio/analog engineers now) which means I would probably never be able get another one! So if is it only worth $33k or so off into storage it goes! However what I need to know is if being the SVT#12 and predating Ron Pratts vin#...00012007 GT500 does that make it worth anything extra to collectors? I asked this same question a couple of years ago and the consensus was NO! because of the high mileage.

Thanks everyone on the great forum for any input on selling my "dream car" :banghead::( (wanted a Shelby ever since the Bill Cosby Shelby routine when I was a Kid).

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

PS - Also if I do have to list it where is the best place to do that online? Here in the Shelby classifieds or somewhere else?

Mark,

Welcome to the forum. You have an interesting car, I would be very hesitant to buy a GT500 with that many miles on it and so would many others with so many garage queens with 3-5K on the market in that price range.

It has an interesting history and appears to be a test mule. Someone like Scotty Cobra, who worked for Ford could give more insight on how test mules were cared for, but I suspect they are drove hard and put up wet.

The economy is bad most everywhere, but in your state I believe you would take a real hit. I think it is going to be a tough sell, but you never know. Just my thoughts. Good luck .......

GG

Mark,

Car number 12 means nothing to the regular guy like me. I'm so sorry to hear of your job situation, but you should just keep it because it will be considered a high mileage 2007 and not worth very much. I bet you would have a tough time getting the mid 20's for it.

Mark,

Car number 12 means nothing to the regular guy like me. I'm so sorry to hear of your job situation, but you should just keep it because it will be considered a high mileage 2007 and not worth very much. I bet you would have a tough time getting the mid 20's for it.

Hi GG and Grabber,

When I purchased it in Ohio it cost me $42k , plane fare to OH for my wife and I, plus sales tax in CA and $2k for a 30kmile full factory warranty, which paid for the $6500 clutch TSB at 76k miles! Best warranty I ever paid extra for because I needed a new clutch and transmission gears anyway at 76K miles. Mine was the first TSB done in the SF bay area and Ford sent out a senior mech to oversee the task. He was shocked at the 75K miles! So I got my money out of it for sure!!! ...and 40k miles of fun driving. Wonder how long the engine/supercharger will last now? I guess after an engine rebuild you lose the signed heads from Ford! But maybe that is a good time put in the new AL Block! :headscratch:

It will be interesting to see this week, here on the forum, if there are any collectors out there who want a car with an earlier vin# and SVT# than the first one that sold for $500K! But then again do those type of people look at this website? I think most people who post here like to drive their cars...not just look at them in the garage! So if you are correct and I can only get 25K for it then that is not even enough to buy a Prius!!! So I might as well park it and take it off the insurance right? But then it is a Garage "Old Queen"!

Because of the no job situation I don't drive it much now anyway, to save on gas, but the other day I was in Burlingame and the guy across from me in a van gave me a thumbs up! Very nice moment for a poor, out of work engineer. Made my week. I just looked at my old notes and found that it is "Edsel Ford #2" who has GT500 SVT#7!

Mark / msbmustang54

Don't give up on work my friend. 56 is not old by any means. Keep positive and keep your head up proud. Your a skilled senior guy and of great value to the right company. Good things do happen to good people. Keep the faith bro !

Hi GG and Grabber,

When I purchased it in Ohio it cost me $42k , plane fare to OH for my wife and I, plus sales tax in CA and $2k for a 30kmile full factory warranty, which paid for the $6500 clutch TSB at 76k miles! Best warranty I ever paid extra for because I needed a new clutch and transmission gears anyway at 76K miles. Mine was the first TSB done in the SF bay area and Ford sent out a senior mech to oversee the task. He was shocked at the 75K miles! So I got my money out of it for sure!!! ...and 40k miles of fun driving. Wonder how long the engine/supercharger will last now? I guess after an engine rebuild you lose the signed heads from Ford! But maybe that is a good time put in the new AL Block! :headscratch:

It will be interesting to see this week, here on the forum, if there are any collectors out there who want a car with an earlier vin# and SVT# than the first one that sold for $500K! But then again do those type of people look at this website? I think most people who post here like to drive their cars...not just look at them in the garage! So if you are correct and I can only get 25K for it then that is not even enough to buy a Prius!!! So I might as well park it and take it off the insurance right? But then it is a Garage "Old Queen"!

Because of the no job situation I don't drive it much now anyway, to save on gas, but the other day I was in Burlingame and the guy across from me in a van gave me a thumbs up! Very nice moment for a poor, out of work engineer. Made my week. I just looked at my old notes and found that it is "Edsel Ford #2" who has GT500 SVT#7!

Mark / msbmustang54

Mark be careful on the taking off insurance, remember fires and theft. The economy will turn and you might have to do something else. I'm 58 and thinking about retiring next year. If you like your car and it's paid for I would not give it away by any means.

GG

Mark be careful on the taking off insurance, remember fires and theft...

You can just get a comprehensive policy, but without liability/collision coverage... MUCH cheaper, and what I have on a "non-op" status vehicle I'm storing. :)

Thanks Grabber and GG for the nice comments!

GG the car is paid for and when I bought it I sold 1/2 of my company stock options, that I had been holding for seven years, and bought the wife a new Honda Pilot as well. At the time I thought it was a rather frivolous thing to do but then the stock market crash hit the next year and I was laid off and had to sell the other 1/2 of my vested options within 3 months of termination for 1/20th what they were worth when I bought the GT500 the previous year. So even though it might not be worth as much as I would like now, with the high miles it has, it was still the best investment I ever made!

Grabber I sent out a vastly reduced version of my resume for a technician job two weeks ago and they said I was under-qualified so I got mad and sent them the full 3 page one and then they said... "I was overqualified!" That has been the story of my life the last two years+ of job hunting. But it could be worse...I could have not bought the GT500 and would not have something to drive around the block now to cheer me up! :shift:

Thanks again GG and Grabber for the kind words.

Mark / msbmustang54

post-21043-0-45875900-1297138396_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-26070400-1297138647_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-45875900-1297138396_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-26070400-1297138647_thumb.jpg

Wow, I am not the only one who dodged a bullit, Bought my house here in the UK at the top of the market in terms of price for cash, The cash coming from sale of my stock, What stock you ask? Lehman Bros at about 70 bucks a share. Not a bad investment since the last of my stock sold for 7.5 cents!!! a share.

Don't sell the car, I have to say the mileage would keep most folks away and anything other than the first or last of a model run is normally not worth a whole lot more than standard. Even just looking at it once in a while is better than taking a bath on it.

Best of luck. Peter

Some great calls here gents.......... :salute:

Keep your head up Mark.......things will get better. I couldn't agree more with Rob, your skills will be of great value to many companies.

Best of luck brother.

Thanks Everyone for the "Uplifting" replies,

It appears (which I already thought was the case from some posts over a year ago) that keeping the car and taking it off the insurance is the way to go. In California I believe that I have to go to the DMV and file a paper about non-operation before AAA will give me the theft/damage only insurance. Going to do that this week.

I was hoping there was some collector out there who wants to 1-UP Ron Pratte's GT500 but there are not many of those folks out there...and they want a car with 100 miles on it! When I picked up my GT500 from Port Clinton Ford back in 2007 the owner of the dealership had a Ford GT up on a display rack and he had bought it from another Ford Dealer in Florida. They trucked it up to Ohio and hand pushed it up in it's display rack. I believe it only had 10 miles on it! Kind of a shame though for a car like that not to be driven. I wish it had been down because I would have liked to have gotten a pic of it next to my Gt500 because it was the same color pattern as mine, Tungsten Gray with the white stripes.

Off to the CA DMV to get my cert of non-operation. Probably should make an appointment first though.

Mark / msbmustang54

Thanks Everyone for the "Uplifting" replies,

It appears (which I already thought was the case from some posts over a year ago) that keeping the car and taking it off the insurance is the way to go. In California I believe that I have to go to the DMV and file a paper about non-operation before AAA will give me the theft/damage only insurance. Going to do that this week.

I was hoping there was some collector out there who wants to 1-UP Ron Pratte's GT500 but there are not many of those folks out there...and they want a car with 100 miles on it! When I picked up my GT500 from Port Clinton Ford back in 2007 the owner of the dealership had a Ford GT up on a display rack and he had bought it from another Ford Dealer in Florida. They trucked it up to Ohio and hand pushed it up in it's display rack. I believe it only had 10 miles on it! Kind of a shame though for a car like that not to be driven. I wish it had been down because I would have liked to have gotten a pic of it next to my Gt500 because it was the same color pattern as mine, Tungsten Gray with the white stripes.

Off to the CA DMV to get my cert of non-operation. Probably should make an appointment first though.

Mark / msbmustang54

Mark,

Sorry to hear about your "work" situation redcard.gif

And I'm not sure about AAA or insuring your GT500 in CA, but here is what I did last Fall with my 2007 SGT here in KS... Simply by checking the "storage" button next to my 2007 on my policy, I was able to drop my insurance to just $20 per month, for those months I won't be driving it... No paperwork required happy%20feet.gif

As a unique benefit of USAA membership, you can reduce your premium up to 80% by adding a Vehicle Storage Discount. To qualify, you must agree to the following conditions:

• The vehicle will not be driven while in storage.
  • The vehicle will be stored in a secure location.
  • I will remove the Storage Discount before driving the vehicle.

If you drive a vehicle while receiving the Storage Discount:

• Coverage for bodily injury and property damage liability will be reduced to the minimum amounts allowed by law.
  • Collision and comprehensive coverage will only apply if your vehicle is financed.
  • Rental reimbursement and towing and labor (if applicable) will not be covered.

Good Luck!

Gregg

07SGT0547

• 3 weeks later...

put some time into researching how rare the car is, if its that special the mileage wont be that big of a deal especially if you sit on it for a while. no one even cared about mileage on all those restored shelbys from the 60's. if you can afford it keep the car and sit on it. i hope you find a job soon!

I guess after an engine rebuild you lose the signed heads from Ford! But maybe that is a good time put in the new AL Block! :headscratch:

Mark / msbmustang54

If you mean the aluminum plate located on the drivers side black valve cover, that plate is simply glued on and easily removed. You can then reapply it...or just re-use the black valve cover.

66 years old here. Unfortunately I also have an 07 and she's a garage queen, less than 7k miles. I say unfortunately because if you check the "for sale" market, there's quite a few for sale. Major problem NOW is no matter what your price is, not to many people right now are in a position to buy a car like ours. Sure there's people out there with money but you've gotta find them. I'm afraid the reality of the economy has not set in with a lot of people, it's gona be a long, long time before we see and reach any light at the end of the tunnel. All one has to do is look at the chaos going on today within the entire world and the changes that some of the pin heads want to make. Whether or not those changes take place, it's gona be a long time. On the other hand about your car, unless you're willing to price it at bargain basement numbers, you might as well park it and hope to see stronger economic times in the next several years. Pendulum will swing back the other way as some point, but no one has a crystal ball to tell them when that will happen. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Steve

Bullhead City, AZ.

66 years old here. Unfortunately I also have an 07 and she's a garage queen, less than 7k miles. I say unfortunately because if you check the "for sale" market, there's quite a few for sale. Major problem NOW is no matter what your price is, not to many people right now are in a position to buy a car like ours. Sure there's people out there with money but you've gotta find them. I'm afraid the reality of the economy has not set in with a lot of people, it's gona be a long, long time before we see and reach any light at the end of the tunnel. All one has to do is look at the chaos going on today within the entire world and the changes that some of the pin heads want to make. Whether or not those changes take place, it's gona be a long time. On the other hand about your car, unless you're willing to price it at bargain basement numbers, you might as well park it and hope to see stronger economic times in the next several years. Pendulum will swing back the other way as some point, but no one has a crystal ball to tell them when that will happen. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Steve

Bullhead City, AZ.

That is the plain and simple reality here. We have a bankrupt federal government and a president whose economic directives defy any and all economic logic. Not much good on the horizon for our ecconomy. What we are experiencing financially in this nation now is unfortunately the new normal under the federal governments current, anti business mentality and policies.The general market for these high ticket Mustangs has been saturated for some time. You may be advised to take what the market will deliver you at this point as 5 buck a gallon premium fuel in the short term will not help sellers at all.

That is the plain and simple reality here. We have a bankrupt federal government and a president whose economic directives defy any and all economic logic. Not much good on the horizon for our ecconomy. What we are experiencing financially in this nation now is unfortunately the new normal under the federal governments current, anti business mentality and policies.The general market for these high ticket Mustangs has been saturated for some time. You may be advised to take what the market will deliver you at this point as 5 buck a gallon premium fuel in the short term will not help sellers at all.

Well I landed a contract audio engineering job last week for a few months so it looks like I will have a little money coming in. They have also asked me to work some OT for paid days off at the end of the contract. I would not have considered that two years ago but in this economy I have to. It is audio engineering, which I love and I get to drive my GT500 SVT #12 100 miles to work every day now. Just went over 90K on Friday. Guess I will need a new set of plugs soon. They say in the manual to replace them at 100K miles. Should I use the stock plugs?

Thanks for all the comments everyone!!! I have decided for $27k (or even much less!) I will keep the car and drive it till it drops! Being mostly freeway miles the clutch should go a long time. It went 75k miles before it was replaced by the clutch/tranny TSB, along with several gears in my transmission, so it should make it to 150K. .. and it was not running that bad when I had the TSB done! Then maybe by then the new 2012 AL block will have the kinks ironed out (please pardon the pun) and if I am working full time that replacement would be worth it. How long will the supercharger last?

Thanks again everyone for the support and encouragement to keep #12! It would pain me to be seen in a Prius! (notice the background on attached pic) Just wish the price of gas had not shot up to $4 a gal here in the SF area right when I started my long commute again! (19 mpg average for 46 miles each way with the tune Justin, VMP, gave me.)

MSB Mustang54

post-21043-0-67362400-1299372806_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-67362400-1299372806_thumb.jpg

That Pic of your car looks great. I'm so glad to hear you landed ajob and who know, maybe it will work into something even better. You know what they say, take one day at time and do your best. This news put a big smile on my face.

Congrats friend !!!

Your SC should last along time with your freeway driving. As far as the plugs, if you have just a CAI then the stock ones are fine, if you have a pulley I would use the NGK TR6 plugs. That's what I use and they are woking great. They need to be changed every 5-10 K if you have the pulley and get on it.

Not getting too far off track here..................Remember to blame Ford for pumping out way too many

GT500s under the False Advertisement of "SVT Limited Production"............................ :doh:

And also remember the Repubs are now in Control of Congress........... :hysterical:

Not getting too far off track here..................Remember to blame Ford for pumping out way too many

GT500s under the False Advertisement of "SVT Limited Production"............................ :doh:

And also remember the Repubs are now in Control of Congress........... :hysterical:

Yes, the Repubs have a congressional majority, very good. Unfortunately that is only 1/3 of the equation. The Dems have the Senate and Executive branch comprising the other 2/3's. Our nation is still solidly under the Democrats control.

BTW, how do you like gas prices out there in LA, we were paying $1.60/ when the "Community Organizer" took office.

Yes, the Repubs have a congressional majority, very good. Unfortunately that is only 1/3 of the equation. The Dems have the Senate and Executive branch comprising the other 2/3's. Our nation is still solidly under the Democrats control.

BTW, how do you like gas prices out there in LA, we were paying $1.60/ when the "Community Organizer" took office.

Just paid $4.00/ for 91 octane to fill the GT500..............Still cheaper than the $5.60/ for the same grade when the "DRUNKARD" was in office................. :hysterical:

We have had that for 10 1/4 years!

We have a Dem. in the Whitehouse and $4.50/ gallon premium is good, unbelievable!

Remember that "Dem" is not a bad word..................Not sure about "Repub" though??????? :hysterical:

haha, stop whinging, try 9 bucks a gallon here in the United Kingdom and over 80% of that is tax, and it automatically (the tax) goes up every year with the fuel tax escalator which is built in. Still drive it though, No kids, no one to leave the money to.

Peter

Archived