TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Eagle F1 255/45R18 99W Tires Discontinued

09TSpony

Well, I was driving home Saturday night when the Low Tire Pressure light came on. I pulled over and when I got out of the car I could hear the leak in my right front tire. (I must have run over a really big nail.) I filled the tire with that goop stuff and drove another two miles. The light came on again, so I pulled over and put some more air in the tire. The Goop was oozing out of the hole and since it was midnight I had no choice but to get her home. I did not want to ruin my stock rim, so I stopped three more times to put air in the tire. I finally made it home and I jacked the car up. The rim was not damaged so I slept well that night.

I took the wheel off this morning and went to the dealership. I was told that I was out of luck because the tire has been discontinued and that they do not have any in stock. I was disheartened to learn that the my 18 month old car was outdated when it comes to the rubber it rides on. So, now what? I am left with the option of plugging the tire, buying a mis-matched tire with different sidewall and tread, or buying two new matching tires for the front. Well after wiping the tears, I went to NTB and after being advised of the same thing the sales clerk looked on the web and found that the Tirerack had 3 instock. Unfortunately, it will take 4 days to have the tire shipped. I ordered it and will have to wait.

Anyone know if Ford has a replacement tire? I hate the idea of having to replace all 4 tires if I have another flat. Damn, it looks like I may end up looking for a $1200 tire replacement program. Wife will not be happy. I guess in the meantime, I will need to find a donut spare tire that will clear the brembo brakes, same diameter/circumference as current tire setup, and will fit in the tire well. I do not want to be several hundred miles away from home and this happen again.

I guess Ford and Goodyear solved the traction problem for us. Don't make the tire. Problem solved. Now we will have to choose a tire as a replacement and when the traction is not right it will be our fault for purchasing the wrong tire for our cars.

Unless you plan on going well over 100mph, I'd just have it repaired. If you drive at extreme speeds, better get a tire rated for the speed you intend to drive.

<added> Oh year, in my trunk is a tarp (to lie on), headlight with spare batteries, pliers to pull out whatever impaled my tire, and a tire plugging kit. The car came with an air pump but I've got an extra one of those in there too. </added>

Hummm. Never thought of carrying a tire plug kit. I always had a spare before I owned the vehicle. I guess what bugged me the most was the fact Goodyear discontinued the tire. It is only 18 months old with 27,000 miles on it

You can't get ANY tires to fit the car in the UK where I live. No one supplies them nor are they in production or scheduled for production. Its a nightmare, I got lucky and bought some 1100 mile take offs. Was going to order another set from the states from tirerack and just saw your post. Nightmare. I guess I will have to go to another make although that may not be so bad after the complaints folks have about the goodyears in the cold.

Peter

Hummm. Never thought of carrying a tire plug kit. I always had a spare before I owned the vehicle. I guess what bugged me the most was the fact Goodyear discontinued the tire. It is only 18 months old with 27,000 miles on it

I have all 4 tires with 4000 miles on them and I can't give them away. Still sitting in my garage. My local tire shop has those tires in stock, too.

Yeah, it is just amazing. In less than two years the tires have been discontinued. I wonder if due to the issue of the lack of traction people are purchasing other tires thus hurting their sales so in turn they stopped production? I thought about changing tires an widening the back rims to 11.5 inches, but other track cars have 10 to 10.5 inch rims and they track just fine.I think the money may be better spent working on the suspension.

I am a tad confused, There are the GY F1 tyres for the GT500 and the much more expensive GY F1 Tyres for the GT500 KR with softer compound but described almost identically when I last looked up tyres. . Is the OP talking about the GY F1 KR tyres or the later ones for 130 quid, I looked up Tyres for the GT500 on tire rack last night and found them at 308 each, No sign of the ones posted just recently at 130?

cheers. Peter

I am a tad confused, There are the GY F1 tyres for the GT500 and the much more expensive GY F1 Tyres for the GT500 KR with softer compound but described almost identically when I last looked up tyres. . Is the OP talking about the GY F1 KR tyres or the later ones for 130 quid, I looked up Tyres for the GT500 on tire rack last night and found them at 308 each, No sign of the ones posted just recently at 130?

cheers. Peter

Click on the link on my above post. It should link directly to the ones priced at 130.

Good Year has simply replaced these tires with newer versions. This happens all the time. I beleive the F1's used on the GT500 were around before the GT500 (I think they were originally made for the Ford GT).

The F1's have been around for years. I'm on my 4th set of tires. For some reason the rear tires wear out really quick! :shift:

Archived