TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is this KR authentic?

tdshelby

I am looking at a 09 Shelby GT500KR that has been modified since it went to Shelby American in Las vegas. I think it must have new or unique stripes and colors. It has the CSM No. 09KR0197 on the Carroll Shelby Motors plate on dash and under hood. It is silver with grey stripes, and has a decal on the side behind front wheel in the stripe that reads RAD KR, and a decal on the front windshield RAD-RIDES.COM. The dealer says it is authentic but the wheels have been changed, and a radar detector has been added. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like legit? Can Shelby Motors authenticate if if I contact them? I am new to the Shelby enthusiast club, but have always wanted one especially since my name is Shelby.

Yep, Fiacobra should be able to authenticate it ... but remember if things such as wheels and any other KR specific items have been removed or replaced you could spend many thousands of dollars if you would ever want to bring it back to stock. Some items are non-replaceable no matter what the cost.

Good luck and I can remember when the KR bug bit me! They are truly awesome vehicles...

I am looking at a 09 Shelby GT500KR that has been modified since it went to Shelby American in Las vegas. I think it must have new or unique stripes and colors. It has the CSM No. 09KR0197 on the Carroll Shelby Motors plate on dash and under hood. It is silver with grey stripes, and has a decal on the side behind front wheel in the stripe that reads RAD KR, and a decal on the front windshield RAD-RIDES.COM. The dealer says it is authentic but the wheels have been changed, and a radar detector has been added. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like legit? Can Shelby Motors authenticate if if I contact them? I am new to the Shelby enthusiast club, but have always wanted one especially since my name is Shelby.

Sounds like you are looking at a modified GT500KR. Shelby American can not authenticate any mods/changes made to the car after it left our facility.

I would suggest contacting this Rad Rides Company but make sure you have a good anti-virus program before visiting their website.

Steve

Sorry, I am so new at this. Who is Flacobra and what's a PM?

thanks,

tdshelby

Fiacobra is one of our registrars that helps with the very important task of collecting info on our Shelbys. A PM is a personal message we can send to each other.

I sent a PM for you (hope that's okay).

Fiacobra is one of our registrars that helps with the very important task of collecting info on our Shelbys. A PM is a personal message we can send to each other.

I sent a PM for you (hope that's okay).

yes thanks, I am new at this and dont want to get burned.

Interesting...I think it is a legit KR, but there are many mods that have been done to the car, that would be difficult or expensive to replace including (and I am sure there are others):

Stripes, Wheels, Rear Spoiler, rear quarter windows (I believe those are the type that require the removal of the glass), Factory Stereo and possibly some or all of the goodies that came in the car (such as brake duct kit, documents, etc).

Don't get me wrong, it is a great looking car and seems to be a decent price, but just know that if you ever wanted it to be "original", you'd be looking at all of those things above and possibly more. I am 99.9% sure it is a legit KR.

Yes that's it on the thumbnail pics. What do you think ?

I think you are verrrrry smart coming here to find out the straight scoop. Been there, done that, works well. Go right to the source. The ppl in this forum will do just that, reference FiaCobra. Or Shelby themselves.

If you do buy this car, listen to what everyone said, including SAI themselves (Steve). The car has been dramatically taken out of stock which will cost thousands to replace. Then, there is a whole list of documentation and parts that came with the car that is beyond invaluable on reselling the car.

It depends on what you want in purchase. Do you want a KR in specific, or, you think the car looks cool and it happens to be a KR (I think it is, too). If it is the first, don't buy this car. It's probably a KR, but you are missing the complete package that makes the KR so unique. Maybe the dealer has that laundry list of stuff of things that came with the car, I don't know. When it comes to these rare cars........every.......piece........of.........documentation.............is..............invaluable............... and adds incredible value to the car. And if it doesn't come with the car, incredibly devalues the car and the documents more than likely won't be replaceable.

But, if you are buying the car because it looks cool (which it does), thereby not caring about the KR stuff, then you should price the car as a modified gt500. That's my opinion. And if you want a fast gt500 in pristine perfect condition with a kenne bell supercharger at, I forget, I think 750hp, with under 5,000 miles, I can get that car for you for $35k. Provided the car is still available. The owner is 65 years old, has a ton of cars, and wife said thin the herd. Can't remember what year it is.

In short, if the KR stuff isn't important to you, then price the car as a modified gt500 because at this point, that's what it is. A lot of things have been modded w/ the original KR exclusive stuff lost. Where are the original KR rims, for example? These are things that are devastating to the cars value. And so on and so on. If they want to sell it as a KR, then all these peripheral items, each and every one of them, they have to have and give them to you. Then there's the tape. And is the color of the car stock? Has the whole thing been repainted? But the stripes for sure are out of stock. And the running board logo's. Shelby will sell all that stuff to you, after A LOT of research with you proving to Shelby beyond a doubt that this car is an authentic KR. Which it probably is. But it's gonna' cost you a mint!

I would price the car as a modified gt500 if all you are getting is the car. Just my two long winded cents.

Good luck! You came to the right place! If you are interested in the gt500 w/ the kenne bell, pm me!

Sorry I'm late to the party.

Steve is correct, this is in fact a legit KR (that's been altered by the previous owner)

From what I can see, these are parts that are not standard and are aftermarket:

Rims/tires

Stripes

Rear spoiler

Navigation (this car did not come with Nav from the factory....it came with the Shaker 1000)

1/4 windows

and whatever is attached to the rear license plate cut out

The biggest challenge for the buyer (if they wanted to return this car back to stock) would be the rims and getting rid of the after market electronics (nav/radio display, and radar detector)

It would help if the seller had the stock items to go with the car.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

- Joe

Most of your questions can be answered in the auction description. Many mods installed by Rad Rides by Troy. Not a bad price if those our the mods you would want made to your car. If not it will cost thousands to put the car back to stock.

Steve

It's rad-rides.com not radrides.com. Troy Trepanier of Rad Rides by Troy is basically the Chip Foose of the Midwest and as nice as this KR may be it is not his style.

It is a fact that some have replaced their KR wheels with alternate wheels (why, I will never know). That is how I picked up my KR wheels. For all I know, they came from this car.

Steve, can a KR owner buying a car such as this, get replacement KR rims? To me, that would be the hardest part to put back to stock.

Jim

.............................Steve, can a KR owner buying a car such as this, get replacement KR rims?

I'm "almost" sure they can. As long as the person attempting to purchase the rims owns the car and the car (AND owner) are recorded and are on file with Shelby. Steve can answer that question with 100% certainty.

Most of your questions can be answered in the auction description. Many mods installed by Rad Rides by Troy. Not a bad price if those our the mods you would want made to your car. If not it will cost thousands to put the car back to stock.

Steve

I contacted the seller on Ebay and he said that there are no additional items that go with the car. Everything listed in the auction is it. They do not have the original tires, wheels etc.

Good price, but a diluted KR in my opinion. The security pad "in" the side window louver in a horrendous.

Ouch. Necessary?

If you don't think so feel free to visit their website. I did last night and my anti-virus/security software went into full blown red alert status that my PC was trying to be hacked by their website.

So yes I felt it "necessary" to let my fellow Team Shelby members know that the site was not safe.

Steve

It is a fact that some have replaced their KR wheels with alternate wheels (why, I will never know). That is how I picked up my KR wheels. For all I know, they came from this car.

Steve, can a KR owner buying a car such as this, get replacement KR rims? To me, that would be the hardest part to put back to stock.

Jim

Robert will need to correct me if I'm wrong but the answer is no. KR wheels are a restricted part and only sold as replacements for damaged or stolen wheels. Neither scenario fits this ebay car.

I've just updated the registry with the info on this KR. Lets hope this is the only KR Rad Rides modified.

Steve

If you don't think so feel free to visit their website. I did last night and my anti-virus/security software went into full blown red alert status that my PC was trying to be hacked by their website.

So yes I felt it "necessary" to let my fellow Team Shelby members know that the site was not safe.

Steve

lol...fair enough. Didn't know the background obviously. Thought it was caustic as it was without the background info supplied.

Heck, a NON KR owner can get replacement KR rims/tires!

I did and there's another set for the same price listed in the classifieds of this forum and on the SVTPerformance.com forum. For 3 grand, he can get a set of OE replacement 18" Alcoa's w/Goodyear Winged Boot F1's already mounted, w/TPMS sensors.

Since I've been on TS forums, I've probably seen 7 or 8 full sets of KR wheels/tires for sale or bought by TS forum members.

If I were looking to buy that KR on e-bay, the wheels would be the least of my worries. The stripes are going to be harder to get than the wheels but I know where I can get them done at a aftermarket shop for $500 for the OTT, not sure about the rockers though (getting the correct color code is the hard part, and I can get that next time I visit my SVT dealer).

IMHO, that Kenwood stereo is going to be a bitch to make back to stock. I'm not sure what was in that spot before the installed the monitor/head so maybe it'll be easier than I think.

The quarter windows are cake. Pull the SHR louvers and put a set of OEM glass back in.

But did the KR's come with the non-lighted SVT door sill plates??? I thought they had the CSM# engraved, ala the Super Snake.

Oh, and that "Ford Racing" supercharger is a flat out lie. That's a stock Eaton as far as I can tell. It's *definately* not a TVS 2.3L or a Whipple 2.9L "Ford Racing" blower.

And I was wondering what the heck that pin-pad was in the photo's, and where the heck it was mounted. Thanks for that tidbit, Bikeboy! I was thinking it was a keyless entry pad like the old Fords had OEM.

EDIT for spelling: I REALLY need to proof read *before* I hit the save button, not after!

Phill

Heck, a NON KR owner can get replacement KR rims/tires!

I did and there's another set for the same price listed in the classifieds of this forum and on the SVTPerformance.com forum. For 3 grand, he can get a set of OE replacement 18" Alcoa's w/Goodyear Winged Boot F1's already mounted, w/TPMS sensors.

Since I've been on TS forums, I've probably seen 7 or 8 full sets of KR wheels/tires for sale or bought by TS forum members.

If I were looking to buy that KR on e-bay, the wheels would be the least of my worries. The stripes are going to be harder to get than the wheels but I know where I can get them done at a aftermarket shop for $500 for the OTT, not sure about the rockers though (getting the correct color code is the hard part, and I can get that next time I visit my SVT dealer).

IMHO, that Kenwood stereo is going to be a bitch to make back to stock. I'm not sure what was in that spot before the installed the monitor/head so maybe it'll be easier than I think.

The quarter windows are cake. Pull the SHR louvers and put a set of OEM glass back in.

But did the KR's come with the non-lighted SVT door sill plates??? I thought they had the CSM# engraved, ala the Super Snake.

Oh, and that "Ford Racing" supercharger is a flat out lie. That's a stock Eaton as far as I can tell. It's *definately* not a TVS 2.3L or a Whipple 2.9L "Ford Racing" blower.

And I was wondering what the heck that pin-pad was in the photo's, and where the heck it was mounted. Thanks for that tidbit, Bikeboy! I was thinking it was a keyless entry pad like the old Fords had OEM.EDIT for spelling: I REALLY need to proof read *before* I hit the save button, not after!

Phill

Phill, how old you talking????? The wife's '10 Taurus loaner car has a pinpad still...omly now it's digital looking in the door pillar.

Bikeboy: Thru the 90's, at least....that's how "old" I meant. I haven't been in the field in...hmm, DANG! It's been at least ten years already! (Semi retired Aug. 29, 1990. Fully retired in the summer of.....ehhhh, 1996?).

BTW, if any of you have a keyless entry on your Ford but don't have the code, they put the code on a sticker in the lip of the trunk or the lip of the rear hatch on SUV's.

IF someone didn't remove the sticker, your code is there for you. I can't tell you how many customers I've had come in and tell me they forgot the code so they don't use it anymore and when I show them the number, they're thrilled that they can use the pin-pad again. And it's not something FoMoCo advertises (i.e. it's not published information).

Just FYI,

Phill

Archived