TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Deep Draw Hood

4.6 SHLB

Given a possible move to warmer climes I'm looking forward to these coming back even more - the extra ventilation will be most welcome.

Of course that does mean I'll have a CS6 hood and a spare 2005 Mustang to go with it...hmmmmm.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard the new hoods will be "domed" slightly more to clear the Whipple 550 better.

It's what made me wait when I had my stripes redone last year... since a Whipple is in my plans.

Jer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have $2500 in mine.

The hood was $700- $800 when you got yours........I heard they were sent out no where near finished and it took tons of prep before paint.....

but $1700 in prep/paint........wow........!!!!!

so based on your info......if I buy it for $1300 and have to put $1700 more in prep, paint, stripes.....

then it will be a 3k hood.....

thanks....but that didnt help! :hysterical:

The hood was $700- $800 when you got yours........I heard they were sent out no where near finished and it took tons of prep before paint.....

so based on your info......if I buy it for $1300 and have to put $1700 more in prep, paint, stripes.....

I have that much easily in my CS6 hood...and it's not even vented.

Same prep issues, fit and finish terrible, paint & stripes.

If I remember correctly there was something like 20 man hrs of time billed just getting the hood perfect .

On top of that, freight from SAI to Toronto and at that time our dollar was down by almost 20%

I shudder every time I think about it..

I would love to have a deep draw hood but I have way too much vested in this one already.

Michael, maybe this may make you feel a little better. Who is to say that the new hoods are going to cost $1700 to prep/paint/stripe? Keep in mind, that the hoods available now may have seen the increase because where they are being made, and maybe, just maybe they will not need $1700 worth of work to get it finished. You as well as I know neither one of us have seen these new hoods. Also keep in mind that the hoods have been redesigned just a bit so that they do not have the clearance issues as the previous hoods. That alone is going to cost more. Hell, you may be able to buy one of the new hoods at $1200 and prep/paint and stripe it for $500. What I'm trying to say is this, when we speculate on things that we really don't know the whole reasoning behind it, all it does is make everyone involved look like idiots. After all, this is just all speculation right. Hopefully, this helps and may change your mind a little bit.

Chris

Michael, maybe this may make you feel a little better. Who is to say that the new hoods are going to cost $1700 to prep/paint/stripe? Keep in mind, that the hoods available now may have seen the increase because where they are being made, and maybe, just maybe they will not need $1700 worth of work to get it finished. You as well as I know neither one of us have seen these new hoods. Also keep in mind that the hoods have been redesigned just a bit so that they do not have the clearance issues as the previous hoods. That alone is going to cost more. Hell, you may be able to buy one of the new hoods at $1200 and prep/paint and stripe it for $500. What I'm trying to say is this, when we speculate on things that we really don't know the whole reasoning behind it, all it does is make everyone involved look like idiots. After all, this is just all speculation right. Hopefully, this helps and may change your mind a little bit.

Chris

Your point is absolutely taken Chris........and I absolutely want the hood, but you would think that along with the announcement of them being in stock and increase in price.......there would have been some info regarding the improved condition of the hoods if that was the case......I dont see that anywhere......its not in the email I got or on the Shelby Store listing.

why give us half the story......the price went up, but now you wont have to spend so much getting prepped and painted would have been easy to say......

People, me for one, have already expressed concern about the price increase........if the finish of the hood has been improved, vastly improved or otherwise....

wouldnt you think that would be part of the new info released to address the very question I have posed and you have choosen to speculate on an answer.

The absense of that info infers that it is not the case.

I am not trying to muddy the waters....just trying to understand where we are at....

if the new deep draw hoods are much closer to finished and dont require the kind of prep to get them install worthy of the previous versions.......will someone at SA please let us know.......and problem solved.

I cant assume that is the case........I am only going off what was presented.....and no where does it say anything about the finish, improved or otherwise.

Please dont look at my post as disrespectful, that is not my intention. I am just trying to understand what buying this hood entails.

And thank you for offering your explanation........I hope you are right, that would be great.

That's a ridiculous price increase, I wanted one for my CS but after waiting so long just for this I'll only buy one if there's a 40% off sale to bring it back to a reasonable cost.

well...I love my shelby....

and I've waited a long time for this hood to become available again.....

I just put my money where my mouth is......I ordered one.......

should ship in 7-10 days......I'll let you gys know how it works out.

happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif

I am very jealous now!!!

Awesome Don't forget pictures.

Michael, I didn't know you were one of the lucky seven in New York who won the lottery recently... :hysterical::hysterical:

Seriously though, let us know how it fits with the whipple. I love my GT-H hood, but the damn vibration of the lowering motor mounts is making me think other wise with that hood. I just don't know if I want to spend that much on an unprepped hood. Trufiber has some nice ones for a LOT less, and they are only 30 minutes from the house.

Dan

I have $2500 in mine. You gotta pay to play, and sometimes playing is expensive.

Why should I or other Shelby GT OR GT/SC owners have to pay to play especially if their car is still under warranty and had or will have original hood scoop issues ? Let alone pay a premium price for a car that's hood was not what I would say made to manufacture standards. The new price is not right or fair to those that paid $ 9,000 plus for the Shelby GT package and another $ 10,000 plus for the GT/SC PACKAGE.IMHO. I would buy one if they were at the original price they had when SAI 1st offered us the hood to help resolve the continued hood scoop issue. THEY SHOULD NOT BE TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT ON US FOR A SECOND TIME ON THEIR HOOD SCOOP PROBLEM. :headscratch:

Respectfully,

Scotty

Why should I or other Shelby GT OR GT/SC owners have to pay to play especially if their car is still under warranty and had or will have original hood scoop issues ? Let alone pay a premium price for a car that's hood was not what I would say made to manufacture standards. The new price is not right or fair to those that paid $ 9,000 plus for the Shelby GT package and another $ 10,000 plus for the GT/SC PACKAGE.IMHO. I would buy one if they were at the original price they had when SAI 1st offered us the hood to help resolve the continued hood scoop issue. THEY SHOULD NOT BE TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT ON US FOR A SECOND TIME ON THEIR HOOD SCOOP PROBLEM. :headscratch:

Respectfully,

Scotty

Very well said.

Are you guys thinking about this hood? Kind of has a 1967 flair to me.

TF10024-A42-4.jpg

http://www.trufiber....tf10024-a42.htm

NO THANK YOU. Never in a million years would I put that hood on my Shelby GT.

I ordered a previous version of the deep draw hood I never installed it because it would not fit over the Whipple 550. I recieved the lowered engine mounts but didn't install them either because I was nervous of lowering the engine.

If I know for sure the new version is a perfect fit that will clear the whipple 550 then I will buy the new version and admire the old version hanging on the wall.

Archived