TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3443 Involved in Road Rage Incident

crazydave

My White 2007 Shelby GT is in the shop getting a new left front fender.

A lady in a Volvo XC90 wanted to push me west when I was going south. She has been charged with Aggravated Assault.

I took my damaged fender from the Ford body shop, but they kept my "Powered by" emblem to put on the replacement.

I also got a new tire and wheel. I will mount my old fender on the wall of my gameroom as a token of her esteem.

Wow sorry to hear that! I hope it all comes out okay for ya.

I was worried about the same thing happening to me the other day! I had a guy in punked out Cavalier that was in front of me in a construction zone, reving the motor and spewing smoke all over. When the construction ended he took off like James Bond (in a cloud of smoke). The little woman says "you gonna let him go? he'll tell everyone he beat you!" So I took the bait and pulled up next to him doing about 80. He looked so pissed that I never passed him. I backed off and got off at the next exit before he could do something stupid. Then I was mad at myself for chasing him down!

Care to share the story on what took place ?

It all started with a lady in a Volvo SUV tailgateing me (less than half a car length) while I was going 60 in the passing lane of a crowded highway.

I tried to get her to back off (hand gestures, not middle finger) with no response, then by slowing down with no response. The right lane was clogged so I couldn't change lanes. But finally when the right lane became available, she veered right and tried to shoot the gap (but there was no gap) so she decided she would take the right shoulder and pass me and everybody that way. She passed about six cars that way and probably was going at least 80 mph.

She was really making a fool of herself, dust was flying, people were honking. She flipped the bird to everybody when she re-entered the highway. Then she got in the passing lane again about a football fields length in front of me and went down the road. I figured that was the end of that, see you later crazy lady.

On down the road about a mile there was a red light at a major intersection. She was in the right lane, I was catching up to where she was in the left lane.

She saw me coming and switched to the left lane to get in front of me. I thought, OK, then I'll go to the right lane (to stay away from her).

She continued down and stopped at the red light. I was three cars back from the light still in the right lane. When the light turned green, she waited for me to get beside her and then she tried to bully me by turning into my lane (as if to hit me) then she decided to make a full right turn (from the left lane).

We went metal to metal at that point. My left front fender kissed her Volvo in her back rear door. She then fled the scene because my cars front wheel was too damaged for me to chase her. Something bent and my front wheels were cross-eyed.

I was able to pull over safely, my little boy was with me. We got her license number, called police, a kind witness showed up to tell his story to police when they got there three hours later.

Cops found lady up the road, charged her with Deadly Conduct initially. But after I talked with a detective who also talked with the witness, she was charged with Aggravated Assault. A felony.

It has been over two weeks. Lady's insurance company is still investigating but says if she did this intentionally, they will not cover any damages to either car.

I will have to use my uninsured motorist coverage to pay for my damage. Estimate is about $1500. New tire and wheel, replace fender and Shelby GT stripe, replace bent suspension parts and also fix a scuff mark on my plastic front facia.

I'm really sorry to hear about the damages to your car. While I hope and pray that the courts will throw the book at her, I suspect that she will retain a lawyer who will plea bargain the charges down to several hours of probation or community service.

The only other win you might get out of her abhorrent behavor is that the DMV will hopefully suspend her license for a few years. I would like to say they would suspend it permanently, but I also doubt that will happen either.

Good luck with your repairs. I'm sure that your body shop will do a great job on your car.

Wow, crazy man... Hard to say what goes thru peoples mind sometimes, I just have to assume they have pretty shitty lives to be that angry about traffic... but then again, i don't generally deal with much traffic being in a fairly small town, so maybe I just don't get it...

Hopefully it's good as new when they are done and hopefully she gets enough punishment that she won't do it again!

sorry to hear this. I hope it looks good when u get it back. Your uninsured coverage should handle the cost. I had sorta the same thing happen a guy on a motorcycle with no insurance running from the police hit me head on in a former mustang I had. My insurance paid for the car sued the guy and sent me a check for my deductible after they won the suit. Hope it all works out for you.

Looks like it will probably cost me my $250 deductable for un-insured coverage.

But, I wonder how much this fender bender will effect my cars value if I wanted to sell it. Everybody gets a

Carfax now, and I would disclose that the car was damaged once.

Any lawyers out there, should I sue her for decreasing my value. But how much?

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

When a pair of guys here got into a similar road rage incident recently, there were several back to back "maneuvers" over 3-5 miles which ended in one of the cars cornering the other which then had to stop. Long story short, one of the guys ended up with a bullet in him (dead) and the shooter was not charged based on a self defense decision. It easily could have cost either of them their lives instead of just one of them, and could very well have cost the shooter a long time in jail.

Best to just turn off and go another direction...

My White 2007 Shelby GT is in the shop getting a new left front fender.

A lady in a Volvo XC90 wanted to push me west when I was going south. She has been charged with Aggravated Assault.

I took my damaged fender from the Ford body shop, but they kept my "Powered by" emblem to put on the replacement.

I also got a new tire and wheel. I will mount my old fender on the wall of my gameroom as a token of her esteem.

Be SURE and I mean 1000% sure that your car does not show up on the CARFAX list as damaged. Once you take your car back and it shows up you'll WILL NOT be able to do one thing about it. This is serious stuff as CARFAX gets almost 100% of every car out there that has damage and you have virtually no rights and the value of your car plumets to almost nothing!! I know as it happened to my wife Mercedes and now we drive a car that Mercedes will not take in on trade and the value is next to nothing. I would NOT accept it until I received sworn statements from the insurance company or the other driver that they'll replace your car if it has ANY CARFAX damage caution statements on it. Beware this is serious!!

EDITED:

Dave,

It will likely be more of a burden on you to attempt a lawsuit. Lawyers want to make money, not serve justice for justice sake. Your only option would be to retain a lawyer to take a percentage, but you wont likely get great representation that way, and since there was no bodily injury, and the insurance company is bailing on covering her actions, there is no bankroll to go after as she is a bankruptcy away from walking anyhow. Sure, you would have a judgement, but that wont buy you a cup of coffee.

I hate to see this happen, but you should know what you would be getting into. I didnt take the bar, but I did go to law school and have the knowledge of what options you have. I do many lawsuits in my "real" occupation, so if you want to bounce any ideas off of me, I will be happy to help if I can. Same thing happened to me on 610 and Bellaire on the way to work. Luckily, the guy clipped my rear fendercover and that was the only thing damaged. He sped off also. I was out 80 bucks for a piece of plastic. $hit happens.

You'll likely not succeed in keeping the work off carfax. In some ways it won't matter - the info is here, complete with pictures... What's on the internet never dies.

You should be on the insurance companies for "diminished value".

Good luck.

Diminished value is a no-law issue in many states. They have a law called the Georgia Law which is being over turned now but until it is you'll never win if you drive it away. CARFAX will crush your resale value and your cars history. Your not in too deep yet: you must ask the insurance company to submit to you a statement that your car WILL NOT go on CARFAX if they will not do it tell them you want it replaced with another Shelby GT. Yes you want it totaled out, period. I mean stick to your guns here and you'll get the car replaced or the fair market value. If I knew what I know now I would NEVER EVER have my car repaired ever again unless they signed a statement, inwhich they will not, so they will pay me for a new car becuase I will never pick it up and drive it away. If you do you'll be stuck forever with a car that will be tagged forever as "damaged " and you'll never be able to do anything with it pictures or not, small damage or big your screwed. I am not kidding at all.

Archived