TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Garage Light to install for detailing?

MichaelP

Hi Everyone-

I'd like to install some new lighting above the car for detaliing.. the incandescents I have are not cutting it. I guess my options are bigger incandescents, Fluorescent or Halogen. Are any of those lights better to work under to detail your car? I've noticed that when I use my hand held fluorescent flashlight in the garage I see spots, etc. that I missed when washing and drying outside.

Thanks,

M.

Hi Everyone-

I'd like to install some new lighting above the car for detaliing.. the incandescents I have are not cutting it. I guess my options are bigger incandescents, Fluorescent or Halogen. Are any of those lights better to work under to detail your car? I've noticed that when I use my hand held fluorescent flashlight in the garage I see spots, etc. that I missed when washing and drying outside.

Thanks,

M.

I was just on the BMW plant tour in Spartanburg SC last week. Banks and banks of florescent lights in their paint/body inspection areas.

Cars definitely don't look their best under that lighting but if you want to find the flaws...

I have 3 fluorescent fixtures mounted above the car, one over the hood, one over the top and one over the trunk. The one over the hood is also used for cleaning the motor. I also use a halogen light on a tripod. I move it around the car so I can get direct light on the sides, rear and grill. The halogen light is really handy for lighting the front grill area to to clean and detail those little honey combs.

I use Daylight Full Spectrum bulbs in my garage as they come the closest to sunlight and help you see all the details.

Picture11-30-07024.jpg

That's not a garage, that's a shrine.

I swapped my two 60w incandescences with a pair 5' long floresences. I've done this in every garage I've had. It's a quick, easy, and cheap swap.

Archived