TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Failed Experiment; Custom 2.5" Center Caps

36ccc3d6.jpg

I've been thinking about this ever since the Shelby Store introduced the 2" round key chain medallions. I recently ordered 5, 2" Shelby GT key chains;

bca65d2d.jpg

I cut off the loop for the key ring, and applied 3M heavy duty exterior double sided tape (same as what is used to mount any name plates such as the 'Built by Ford' plates) to the back of each medallion. The tape is only 1" wide so I had use two cuts of the tape side by side to cover the back of the medallions.

ba00e144.jpg

359f201d.jpg

d30f4f8b.jpg

With the tape applied I used a razor to cut along the edge of the medallion to remove the excess tape.

aa86fa29.jpg

df997ee4.jpg

With the excess tape removed I applied the medallions to an extra set of SVT center caps I had. To do this I first used a square to determine the placement of the medallion in the center of the cap, (did this prior to Appling the tape). Once this was determined I removed some of the backing to the tape. You can see in the photos that left some of the backing on to help during placement so I wouldn't have difficulty removing and replacing the medallion if I was off center. Once the medallion was place I removed the remaining tape backing.

4b8b8f9b.jpg

ce2fe08f.jpg

8693bcbc.jpg

e79ff0dd.jpg

4a4833ee.jpg

bd965237.jpg

With the medallion centered I used some small clamps to apply pressure over night to help set the tape. According to 3M the tape responses to the pressure.

c37b7b89.jpg

74bf33e9.jpg

The following morning I removed the clamps. I have not tried these on the road yet, but I'm confident that they will stay secure considering that everything adhered to the body of the car is held on with this same tape.

f8d5030b.jpg

The following morning I removed the clamps. I have not tried these on the road yet, but I'm confident that they will stay secure considering that everything adhered to the body of the car is held on with this same tape.

That looks great!

I'm not so sure that they'll hold, though. There's a big difference between a Powered By Ford emblem, static on a fender and a cap in the center of a spinning wheel. That's a lot of cetripedial force and angular momentum. Worth a try, but I'd try one only first...

Dan

I'm not an expert on forces of motion but the center cap has very little centripetal force applied to it as it is spinning on it's center and not at the edge of the rotation. Additionally, the mass of the medallion is relatively low and in conjunction with the wheel RPM, roughly 100rpm per 10mph, I'm not too concerned. I'm more concerned with the pounding the wheels and tires take on rough roads.

I do like the idea of trying this out on one wheel first.

Nice work! They do look sharp! I don't think you'll have an issue with them falling off, for the reason stated above, (Remember when you were a kid on the merry-go-round? Stay in the center, less centrifugal force there!), of course you could always scuff up the donor center cap and epoxy them on!

Speaking of donor center caps, where did you get the SVT center caps? My wheels came with the "SR" ones in the background of one of your pics and I don't think the keychain medallion will cover it properly.

Sam

I've gone thru a couple sets of GT500 wheels and just had an extra set. You can pick up some plain black or silver center caps from American Muscle for something like $25.

I considered scuffing the caps and using an epoxy to secure them but didn't want to have the scuffs visible around the medallion so that had me thinking of covering them in a clearcoat or a polyurethane after they had cured but then I was worried the clear or urethane would crack. That's how I ended up with the trying the tape. This 3M tape is 90% cured in 72hrs and has a holding strength of something like 5lbs for every inch so I figured it was plenty strong.

Those look good. I had thought about something like that, but was afraid they would come flying off at speed. Had these decals made istead. Sorry the pic is upside down.

I did the decals on mine over two years ago now, and they are holding up great...I applied several coats of automotive clear to them after I applied them, and so far, so good.

Very nice creative mod. I don't know what everyone is worried about on the 3M tape... If you remove your SVT center cap and look at how the black 'SVT' portion is attached to the base grey plastic piece, the factory uses a 3M style tape to adhere it, as well! You will have NO problem, as it relates to it flying off. The only issue would be that your new keychain piece sticks up past the surface area of the wheel, exposing the new tape to the elements. But it's not like we drive these cars in 'the' elements!! right?

Very cool man!!! :happy feet:

ps, sorta reminds me of the "cubican" idea on the power plug... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this idea failed.

There is just enough weight in these caps to throw the wheel out of balance. The good news is they will not fly off.

The key chain with the 3M tape would also work as a great faux gas cap on the deck lid.

Well, this idea failed.

There is just enough weight in these caps to throw the wheel out of balance. The good news is they will not fly off.

The key chain with the 3M tape would also work as a great faux gas cap on the deck lid.

:doh:

That is a shame, as that really looked awesome!

Well, this idea failed.

What about these stick on?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=MU7+01&Category=Stripes+%26+Decals&subCategory=&CatKey=EMUSTANG

I-I-I-I T-T-T-Think it W-W-W-as S-S-S-Shaking

:hysterical:

Yes, it began to shake pretty good at about 60mph, not dangerously so, but enough to not inspire confidence. I used to know what the weight at the center translates to at the edge of the rim. It's something like 1oz at the center equates to .25oz at the wheel's lip.

:hysterical:

Yes, it began to shake pretty good at about 60mph, not dangerously so, but enough to not inspire confidence. I used to know what the weight at the center translates to at the edge of the rim. It's something like 1oz at the center equates to .25oz at the wheel's lip.

I figured it would be the shaking...It's too bad it didn't work out, it was a good idea.

Archived