TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ANOTHER SHELBY GT

joe17752001

Ok here it is the wife love's the shelby so much she wants another one just for herself :drool: So we are on the market for another one. So we find this one a few miles down the road and we stop to take a look at it and i look under the hood and i notice it's missing the cold air intake. So my question is why do you think someone whould remove this? I thought this option came stock on the shelby gt's am i mistaking here? :headscratch: What would i have to do to fix this? would i have to buy a new CAI and put it on then get a tuner to load the tune back on the car?

6664433-30-3-15b48dea.jpg

If it is not a fake and just needs the intake, here is a place to get the correct one at a good price.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=717cPath=85

the only reason i could think of is maybe 1. To save on fuel maybe? 2. Replacement motor? 3. Took it off to sale seprately?

If it is not a fake and just needs the intake, here is a place to get the correct one at a good price.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=717cPath=85

well if it is real and i got it. would i have to make sure it was tuned properly before i just slapped on the CAI? in whitch case i'd have to get a tuner as well then?

I would be leary of it though, IMO. no telling what other things have been swapped out.

Chris

true, i see your point on this. but i don't think i'd mind to much considering. I don't think it would be to hard to put everything back the way it was. but i'm just wondering why someone would do somthing stupid like this in the first place.

My guess is the previous owner probably had a buddy with a stang that wanted the CAI. So they swapped. That does not look like a ford lot in the background. therefore, they probably had no clue what they were looking at in the first place

Chris

:superhero:

My guess is the previous owner probably had a buddy with a stang that wanted the CAI. So they swapped. That does not look like a ford lot in the background. therefore, they probably had no clue what they were looking at in the first place

Chris

I see. do you think since they put that factory gt intake on that they put a stock gt tune on it? how would i go about finding that out without a tuner?

the "tuner" stayed with Shelby, so the previous owner would not have had a way to remove the program. Maybe all will be good. Where in Texas are you? I would definitely find a Ford dealer near you to take the car to and have it looked at. Shouldn't cost ya more than a Benji.

Chris

edit: unless it was previously custom tuned

Chris

+1, I would bet the SGT tune is still there but would have a Ford deal that is know for selling/servicing Shelby's look it over.

You may find one the SGT/SC guys here who would be willing to sell you the correct SGT intake.

Are your Shelby floor mats in there? THAT would be a surprise!!...as well as the Powered by Ford emblems on the side??

I'm glad to see its a real Shelby GT.

Glad to hear it's officially NOT a fake per registry.

I too would be leary. If the previous owner swapped the CAI with factory air box just prior to getting rid of the car, chances are the "Shelby" tune is still on the car, if this is the case, then I'm not certain the car will run properly! Other option is the previous owner swapped the computer or re-tuned for factory air box.

Other options include engine swap that included a standard computer, etc....

Are your Shelby floor mats in there? THAT would be a surprise!!...as well as the Powered by Ford emblems on the side??

I'm glad to see its a real Shelby GT.

PBF's are still there, you can see them in the picture. I doubt very much that the tune would have been changed, I would just go ahead and install the CAI and see how she runs.

I would be surprised if the SGT tune on a stock intake would cause much harm if at all. There may be a possibility that it was running a little rich by not receiving as much air as te SGT intake but I doubt it would be enough to cause issues anymore then a very dirty filter on the SGT intake. I'm not an expert and could be way off base. I would be more concerns about what other items had been traded with a Mustang GT such as swaybars. I doubt they were simply becuase it's not as convient of a swap as the intake, but I would check.

I would also negotiate the price to at least cover the price of a new intake on top of your standard negotiation.

I too would bet that the tune was not reversed. You should be able to verify that at a Ford dealer. He may charge a little diagnosis time to verify and more to put it back, but you could make it part of the purchase deal. If you get the CAI yI would get the seller to include all of that in the purchase deal. If he as to take it to a dealer to do the work. First though might be to find out the story behind the swap...

Also, have the plugs checked. If they are orange/Copper in color I would consider walking away as it would be a sign that the wrong fuel was used but more importantly that the prior owner did not take proper care of this SGT.

Plugs might be slightly fouled and wet if the car is running rich due to the swapped CAI.

It goes without saying that an inspection is warranted.

Archived