TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terrible News Today!

Well my dog fell couple days ago, so thought he sprained his leg. Well I take him to vet today to make sure he is doing okay. The vet tells me he has bone cancer. That really hit me hard, I have had my friend since he was a puppy. So going on 13 years now.

img03acc.jpg

Here he is only like 14 months!

img2425a.jpg

Very recent pic of him!

Those that are wondering, he is a Belgian Terverun

I'm so sorry to hear this. What can the vet do for him? What is his advice?

I feel bad for you about this. I know how attached we get to our best friends. :cry:

Well being 13 and a large dog, there is not much. Just going to give him Cortisone shots for now to see if that helps with pain and swelling. But I figure as long as he is not suffering too much, I will just give him the best I can. He is not wimpering or crying, he just has really bad limp. The vet said if he was young, probably amputate his leg. But at his age, weight probably not best quality of life at this point. So just make him comfortable and hold on to him best I can.

Well being 13 and a large dog, there is not much. Just going to give him Cortisone shots for now to see if that helps with pain and swelling. But I figure as long as he is not suffering too much, I will just give him the best I can. He is not wimpering or crying, he just has really bad limp. The vet said if he was young, probably amputate his leg. But at his age, weight probably not best quality of life at this point. So just make him comfortable and hold on to him best I can.

Enjoy him while you can. Pamper him and have some nice times to form some more good memories.

That's all you can do...make him comfortable as you can, love him and do whatever is necessary so he doesn't suffer. Thirteen's pretty amazing for a large dog like a Terverun. Shows he's been well taken care of. Good luck, I know what you're going through.

Jim

Sorry to hear this. Back in Sept of 2008 I had to put down my dog Gypsy who lived to 16.5 years old and it was one of the toughest things I ever had to do. 6 Months later we got a puppy and I think that helped with the grieving process.

Very much in a way they become a family member. A good dog loves you no matter what. Enjoy your time, that is one good looking dog! Our previous Lab was with us for over 14 years, we still tell Minnie Stories 4 years later.

Know exactly what you are going through. Had to put our Great Dane down 5-6 years ago for the same reason. She had bone cancer in her front leg to the point it was almost ready to fracture. She was in pain and the vet did not feel she would do well if we amputated. Continue to enjoy him as long as you can. Thoughts with you.

Been there........................too many times. I ve had dogs live 18, 16, 12, 15, yrs old, and it's never easy. Hang in there and spend the time you have left with him well.

Sorry to hear this. So were there any other symptoms seen before the dog that was noticeable?

No, he just started limping. So thought he had sprained it. But decided to err on side of caution and took him to the vet yesterday to be safe. So much for that, but rather know so time can be spent properly.

Storm....you're breakin' my heart. I'm not too emotional about stuff, but when it comes to 'my buddy' Cozmo....anything ever happens to him, not sure what I'll do. He's 10 now, but he's a small breed, and walks about twenty miles a week.

Wake up every day and cherish everything he does, don't get mad at him for anything, and take lots of pictures!! As if you didn't do all of this already! Hang in there bud!

Well my dog fell couple days ago, so thought he sprained his leg. Well I take him to vet today to make sure he is doing okay. The vet tells me he has bone cancer. That really hit me hard, I have had my friend since he was a puppy. So going on 13 years now.

img03acc.jpg

Here he is only like 14 months!

img2425a.jpg

Very recent pic of him!

Those that are wondering, he is a Belgian Terverun

Sorry to hear that if anything you need feel free to ask !!! I have to say it's hard to lose a pet or when they get really sick. My father was a stone he has never cried. When we had to put down are family cat he cried his eye's out my mother was in shock she started to yell at him. She said you don't cry when family members die but you cry for the cat.

post-18733-12818954185_thumb.jpg

angel baby.bmp

post-18733-12818954185_thumb.jpg

angel baby.bmp

Archived