TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who was that idiot!?

Ok, I just made a bonehead move. Filling up the tank and not paying attention I just dumped a little under 4gal of 87 into the SGT. I caught myself and topped off with a little over 10gal of 93. I figure I'll be ok, but plan to top off the tank every 20miles or so with 93 to help dilute the 87.

Has anyone else made the same goofball mistake and lived to tell about it without a trip to the dealer?

Ok, I just made a bonehead move. Filling up the tank and not paying attention I just dumped a little under 4gal of 87 into the SGT. I caught myself and topped off with a little over 10gal of 93. I figure I'll be ok, but plan to top off the tank every 20miles or so with 93 to help dilute the 87.

Has anyone else made the same goofball mistake and lived to tell about it without a trip to the dealer?

As long as you don't load the engine you should be ok with just 4 gallons of 87. Just take it easy and if you hear pinging back off.

Had to race at Arnold last year on 89, didn't bother the car, engine management kicks in and dials down the advance. It will reset when it finds no knocking.

On an SGT? Then why would the owner's doc with the car state that the warranty will be voided if anything less then 91 is used?

Lots of places only have 91.

Yes sir, that would be us out here on the "Left Coast" in California! We have some great weather, great back roads and... 91 octane most everywhere.

-Pockdog

El Shelby The manual warns owners so that idiots that think they can run on lower octane will eventually have a problem & make a warranty claim when something happens to their engine. You should have no problem with just 4 gallons which you corrected by adding 93.

As long as you don't load the engine you should be ok with just 4 gallons of 87. Just take it easy and if you hear pinging back off.

2 things...

What LS067 said. I'd drive very easy (no WOT) for a couple hundred miles.

And, I admire your guts to post this here. :)

I once posted up, in a tizzie, that my dome light would not go off. I tried everything I could think of including pulling the battery... Someone asked me if I had fully pressed the switch in to reset it. Well, guess what...? :hysterical:

Dan

I had a freind of mine...... um ah, a close friend of mine, yeah that's it, do it to his SGT once. I He couldn't figure out why the performance dropped until he checked his receipt. It was a good thing his car wasn't supercharged yet when I he did it! So you sir are not alone there are a lot of us boneheads out there!

:hide:

Unfortunately, 91 octane is about all that is available out here in West Texas too...

Same thing here in Vegas...

Jer

I couldn't even find 91 in Roswell, New Mexico -- and the 89 was alcohol-ed and cost $4.45 a gallon! Drove slow in New Mexicow.

Hmmm... makes me wanna carry Octane Boost in the trunk on road trips!

Jer

I couldn't even find 91 in Roswell, New Mexico -- and the 89 was alcohol-ed and cost $4.45 a gallon! Drove slow in New Mexicow.

I actually just got back from a trip to Colorado and spent several days in New Mexico and was able to find 91 octane at every Conoco/Phillips 66 station that I stopped at along the way...guess it depends on what brand you buy from too...

Ask my wife, this is not the first and nor will it be the last time I do something stupid..... :banghead:

Could be worse !! Deisel fuel does wonders to a gas car. It happened regularly at my PCT gas pump the college educated cops would fight to get the nozzle in. Then tried to figure out why the car won't start they didn't see the big red letters saying Diesel Fuel :hysterical: poor guys they had to walk there beat till the car was fixed. It only takes the shop 2 weeks to start working on it. :hysterical:

So no biggy EL Shelby but if you ever do the diesel fuel thing please let me know first. I could you a good laugh and remember if you really do it jjust don't start the car just drain the tank and flush it clean no harm done if you start it new injectors plus fuel pump and filter and sparkplugs. OUCH

Could be worse !! Deisel fuel does wonders to a gas car. It happened regularly at my PCT gas pump the college educated cops would fight to get the nozzle in. Then tried to figure out why the car won't start they didn't see the big red letters saying Diesel Fuel :hysterical: poor guys they had to walk there beat till the car was fixed. It only takes the shop 2 weeks to start working on it. :hysterical:

So no biggy EL Shelby but if you ever do the diesel fuel thing please let me know first. I could you a good laugh and remember if you really do it jjust don't start the car just drain the tank and flush it clean no harm done if you start it new injectors plus fuel pump and filter and sparkplugs. OUCH

Racer you caught me. I killed a golf car at work by loading it full of diesel. When I started the job I was told to always top of the tank if I used the golf car. I was shown where the pumps where but no one mentioned that there were gas and diesel pumps and I never bothered to look. After a week of driving a golf car that backfired and belched a nasty blue smoke I finially realized I was trying to wein that golf car off of gas! Damn was I embarrassed.

Racer you caught me. I killed a golf car at work by loading it full of diesel. When I started the job I was told to always top of the tank if I used the golf car. I was shown where the pumps where but no one mentioned that there were gas and diesel pumps and I never bothered to look. After a week of driving a golf car that backfired and bulched a nasty blue smoke I finially realized I was trying to wein that golf car off of gas! Damn was I embarrassed.

That's how you learn by some of your mistakes !!! But if I told you the same idiot cop did 2x's would you call me a lier. Well he did you have remember NYPD cops didn't even have a license when they joined or even hardly spoke English inner city kids. Many were passed thru even failing their drivers training. and couldn't drive the police car. One of my old parnters just got his license, I would make him drive. I would stomp down on his right foot and make him go way over 35 mph he would cry like a baby. But he did speak english that was a plus :hysterical:

I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure my GT-H was probably driven thousands of miles with 87, along with a bunch of other stuff I'd rather not know about! My GT-H runs great. There are a lot of GT-H owners on this forum and I have not heard of any engine issues.

I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure my GT-H was probably driven thousands of miles with 87, along with a bunch of other stuff I'd rather not know about! My GT-H runs great. There are a lot of GT-H owners on this forum and I have not heard of any engine issues.

Only time I EVER put 93 in a rental car was when I rented a GT-H a few years back.

I know others didn't, but MY Karma wasn't gonna take a hit!

Jer

Really it's not a problem these car are all computer controlled just don't go crazy and please don't leave it running in your garage. Unless my ex wife is in the trunk !!!! :hysterical:

Nice Racer,,,, I hope we have a chance to share a beer some time. :beerchug: Well, maybe you can enjoy your meds and I'll have a beer..... :tease:

Archived