TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pin Lanyard Options?

I'm on my second set of lanyards for my hood pins and they are beginning to show discoloration/rusting under the plastic covering.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this? Possibly a different lanyard that will not discolor? I've found a few different replacement lanyards at Summit Racing but I'm not sure if any of them are worth the effort.

I figure whatever I go with I will attach with rivet nut and only use them for shows and such since my SGT is currently my daily driver.

I'm on my second set of lanyards for my hood pins and they are beginning to show discoloration/rusting under the plastic covering.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this? Possibly a different lanyard that will not discolor? I've found a few different replacement lanyards at Summit Racing but I'm not sure if any of them are worth the effort.

I figure whatever I go with I will attach with rivet nut and only use them for shows and such since my SGT is currently my daily driver.

Not sure, I just replaced mine with the latest replacement from the Shelby Store. They have a flat eyelet connector on both ends and the cable looks brighter, aluminum maybe? Anyway, mine look great for now but have no idea what the longer term corrosion resistance will be. Good luck!

Dave

Not sure, I just replaced mine with the latest replacement from the Shelby Store. They have a flat eyelet connector on both ends and the cable looks brighter, aluminum maybe? Anyway, mine look great for now but have no idea what the longer term corrosion resistance will be. Good luck!

Dave

I replaced mine about two years ago with the nice, billet Shelby GT ones and the new lanyards are rusty/dark miscolored already. :(

It would be nice if they stayed bright.

Dan

You could try making your own. Some big box, but mostly "old timey" mom and pop hardware stores, sell plastic coated stainless steel cable (thin/narrow diameter) and the eyelets, and they will usually crimp the eyelets on for you. If you can't find the materals locally, you can check these sources out...

Plastic coated SS wire rope:

http://www.gbgindustries.com/CoatedCable.htm

SS wire rope eyelets:

http://www.gbgindustries.com/stamped_eyelets.htm

Another source for plastic coated SS wire rope:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel/=857ale

I finally got tired of drilling my old ones out and replacing with new rivets after my 4th set...What I did was to carefully peel the old plastic off of the lanyard...I used a razor blade to carefully slice it off of the metal lanyard...Then I used a little Steel Wool on them to brighten them up just a bit...It was actually the plastic that is discoloring, not the lanyards themselves....Then I hung them up and sprayed them with several coats of Automotive Clear from a rattle can that I got at Auto Zone....I let them dry well overnight and reattached them...Did that several months ago, and they still look GREAT to this day....The little plastic covers over the spinner on the pin end of the lanyard had cracked and was discolored as well, so I used some Heat Shrink Black tubing and shrunk them onto the hardware...they didn't quite shrink enough to encase the lanyard, but that's a good thing, because they can still spin inside it....worked out very well for me....

Nice Carl, I may give that shot!

You have me thinking, if it's the plasic/vinyl that is discoloring then I wonder if it can be cleaned? I'm thinking of something that they can be soaked in. I'm may do some experimenting....

I replaced a set under warranty, when they discolored I replaced the lanyards with the Trans dapt 4054. Got them from Jegs for $4.99. Cracked me up when they sent a free cap with the order. They look identical to the originals to me except both ends are flat. The engine side end appeared to be the same on the old and the new. I'm curious if these will discolor since both ends are crimped tight. If they do it's an easy swap and only $5.00.

For now, mine look just fine - guess I'm lucky in that respect!

I'm just thinking out loud here, but perhaps the discoloration is nothing more than mold/mildew, since the ends aren't sealed, and they can be cleaned as Carl stated.

With that being said, perhaps replacing the lanyards with home grown versions would allow easier cleaning and or cheap replacements. My thought would be the same size stainless steel cabling and eyelets, but use small diameter, clear vinyl, aquarium pump tubing to slip over the cable (before attaching the eyelets) to protect the paint. You could make up several sets for really cheap, then just toss and replace when they got messed up. I don't think I would seal the ends as that would probably just trap moisture and accelerate discoloration.

Sam

For now, mine look just fine - guess I'm lucky in that respect!

I'm just thinking out loud here, but perhaps the discoloration is nothing more than mold/mildew, since the ends aren't sealed, and they can be cleaned as Carl stated.

With that being said, perhaps replacing the lanyards with home grown versions would allow easier cleaning and or cheap replacements. My thought would be the same size stainless steel cabling and eyelets, but use small diameter, clear vinyl, aquarium pump tubing to slip over the cable (before attaching the eyelets) to protect the paint. You could make up several sets for really cheap, then just toss and replace when they got messed up. I don't think I would seal the ends as that would probably just trap moisture and accelerate discoloration.

Sam

That's exactly where I'm at with this, finding a cheap suitable replacement. I've looked in purchasing the material and making my own, but don't want to buy a 100ft spool of cable to just to experiment. I plan to check out a few different hardware store to see what I can find.

I've already purchased some pins from Home Depot that look and work as good or better then what the car came with. They cost something like a buck total. The problem is finding cable of a suitable diameter that can be purchased by the foot.

Going with a replacement lanyard from another manufacture is most likely the wisest decision considering they can be had so cheaply.

The Trans Dapt lanyards are crimped tight and sealed at both ends. They look exactly like the originals to me except they are crimped on both ends therefore sealing the cable on the hood side where the original was not sealed. I used silicone to seal the lanyards they replaced under warranty and it seemed to be fine until the rubber on the pin end began to crack. It really made me wonder if the moisture did contribute to some of the discoloration. Since the Trans Dapt lanyards look the same as the originals except they are sealed at both ends where the original used the rubber coating, but was not crimped on the hood pin connecter, I am curious if it could keep them from discoloring. If not they are only 4.99 for the set and easy to change. I'm going to keep a couple of spare sets anyway.

The Trans Dapt lanyards are crimped tight and sealed at both ends. They look exactly like the originals to me except they are crimped on both ends therefore sealing the cable on the hood side where the original was not sealed. I used silicone to seal the lanyards they replaced under warranty and it seemed to be fine until the rubber on the pin end began to crack. It really made me wonder if the moisture did contribute to some of the discoloration. Since the Trans Dapt lanyards look the same as the originals except they are sealed at both ends where the original used the rubber coating, but was not crimped on the hood pin connecter, I am curious if it could keep them from discoloring. If not they are only 4.99 for the set and easy to change. I'm going to keep a couple of spare sets anyway.

I finally got tired of drilling my old ones out and replacing with new rivets after my 4th set...What I did was to carefully peel the old plastic off of the lanyard...I used a razor blade to carefully slice it off of the metal lanyard...Then I used a little Steel Wool on them to brighten them up just a bit...It was actually the plastic that is discoloring, not the lanyards themselves....Then I hung them up and sprayed them with several coats of Automotive Clear from a rattle can that I got at Auto Zone....I let them dry well overnight and reattached them...Did that several months ago, and they still look GREAT to this day....The little plastic covers over the spinner on the pin end of the lanyard had cracked and was discolored as well, so I used some Heat Shrink Black tubing and shrunk them onto the hardware...they didn't quite shrink enough to encase the lanyard, but that's a good thing, because they can still spin inside it....worked out very well for me....

i stripped the plastic off sprayed them with clearcoat laquer . first i cleaned them with fine steelwool. they look fine.

Remoing the plastic coating and then spraying the lanyards with clearcoat is a good idea to resolve the discoloration issue, but aren't you concerned that the unprotected/exposed cables will eventally start to cause wear/rub marks in the hood's paint?

Remoing the plastic coating and then spraying the lanyards with clearcoat is a good idea to resolve the discoloration issue, but aren't you concerned that the unprotected/exposed cables will eventally start to cause wear/rub marks in the hood's paint?

Nope, because if they are routed correctly, they won't touch the hood or rub anywhere...incorrect routing, and they'll definately rub....

Perhaps a colored vinyl tubing would hide the discoloration? I have some black tubing used for boost pressure gauges that I picked up at the auto parts store that's just the right ID/OD, but you could get really creative and use other colors for "show"!

Tubing.JPG

Sam

• 3 years later...

Yeah... This is an issue for me too. The originals held up pretty decent for about 2 years. I replaced them with the updated aluminum hood pin units and lanyard set and they turned brown within three months. I REALLY like the swivel set on the end of the lanyards and am on the hunt for a high quality replacement...

• 3 weeks later...

im a bit confused as to how one could route these lanyards in such a way as to not get any contact with the hood...when your driving. wind will push them all over if their not tight. unless yours are very very stiff after hat you did to them... maybe? i have the originals and they flap all over if not pulled tightly and mostly into the engine compartment.

route them under the radiator cover. It shortens them enough to make them not rub the hood. However I have the upgraded hood pins with the flying saucer base. Here is a pic of mine.

000_0017.jpg

000_0018.jpg

im a bit confused as to how one could route these lanyards in such a way as to not get any contact with the hood...when your driving. wind will push them all over if their not tight. unless yours are very very stiff after hat you did to them... maybe? i have the originals and they flap all over if not pulled tightly and mostly into the engine compartment.

mine are wrapped around the hood pin bracket under the rad cover.

There is a balance between to lose and to tight. If they are too tight against the hood, they will rub, if too lose they will flop around. There are some good pictures above that show the way they are delivered and the way that in 4 years, and lots of highway driving, have shown not to be an issue at all.

I would just replace the lanyards. I've had the same Trans Dapt lanyards on for 4 years, before that I went through 2 sets of the originals. They are exactly like the originals and I believe they most likely made them. The only difference is that they are crimped on the hood side which seals out moisture and does not crack or let moisture in like the rubber end did on the originals. Easy to change and cheap, wouldn't waste time trying to replace the tips, it would only be a short term fix.

Archived