TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Daily Driver

BIKEBOY

I started this thread over four years ago, and ALOT has changed for me. I had a '99 Exploder SPORT 2Dr. when I started this thread (living in the Great White North) as a visitor. Then moved back down to the eastern US in Jan. '11 and bought a brand new Toyota Tundra of which I drove as my DD till March of this year. And now................................

2014 RAM Quad Cab Express with a 5.7L HEMI and 4WD.

15224157954_8fff705b0e_c.jpg

2014 RAM Nov. 2014 by shelbybikeboy, on Flickr

15659076740_3c51443933_c.jpg

'14 RAM New NITTOS by shelbybikeboy, on Flickr

The previously mentioned two trucks.....

5364364599_1989d4907e_b.jpg

Exploder in Toronto by shelbybikeboy, on Flickr

8751794798_ac99d6e142_b.jpg

May 2013 21K Miles by shelbybikeboy, on Flickr

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My daily driver is now a 2013 Roush RS V6. With the Pirelli Winter Carver Edge's on all four, it handles pretty much anything that winter can throw at it. Until the snow gets above the splitter that is.

2014winter_zpsb10bafe7.jpg

120_0718_zps8484ac17.jpg

Damn Jeff......thats a very slick looking car. :thumbsup:

My daily driver is now a 2013 Roush RS V6. With the Pirelli Winter Carver Edge's on all four, it handles pretty much anything that winter can throw at it. Until the snow gets above the splitter that is.

2014winter_zpsb10bafe7.jpg

120_0718_zps8484ac17.jpg

.........and then it's a bad ass snow plow. :happy feet: . Great looking DD you have there Jeff. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! 25K miles in 17 months so far driving 30 mi to work each way. Also a bit of drag racing here and there, sad that it's actually faster than my Shelby was when it was stock. Now I'm sure the ecoboost will be just as fast. That's progress I guess! :)

drag_zpsf300b7a1.jpg

Also has Jack Jr and Sr's sigs.

Kansas20135_zps846dadb2.jpg

1975 F250 4x4 flatbed...360 cubes w RV cam, headers, Holley 4 barrel, 4 speed tranny, 2 speed transfer case, 410 limited-slip gears, Warn 10K winch (fits front & rear receivers) ... 28K original miles.

I bought it from the original owner in 2000 ... a retiring New Mexico rancher/family friend ...he only used it in extreme winter snows to feed his cattle, therefore the low miles.

I repainted the cab, replaced the box bed with Big Tex flatbed, toolboxes, brush guard & running boards/steps.

I taught my grandson to drive with it and will pass it on to him when I kick the bucket!!

Nice looking ride! What are you running for 1/4 mile times with it?

Edit: Found my answer when I rotated my phone to the larger size pic. 14's not bad!

That's here at over 5,800 ft. I've had it down to a 14.65. At sea level, that would equate to a 13.1-13.2. Have some 3.55 gears to put in (2.73 now). That should drop close to a 1/2 sec on this car seeing what a couple of my buddies are running with their 3.7 V6. My Shelby ran 15.0's here stock. Now running 11.90's.

1975 F250 4x4 flatbed...360 cubes w RV cam, headers, Holley 4 barrel, 4 speed tranny, 2 speed transfer case, 410 limited-slip gears, Warn 10K winch (fits front & rear receivers) ... 28K original miles.

I bought it from the original owner in 2000 ... a retiring New Mexico rancher/family friend ...he only used it in extreme winter snows to feed his cattle, therefore the low miles.

I repainted the cab, replaced the box bed with Big Tex flatbed, toolboxes, brush guard & running boards/steps.

I taught my grandson to drive with it and will pass it on to him when I kick the bucket!!

Any pics? :camera:

About an hour east of Toronto, my DD is my 2006 FX4. I call her the F-1thirstie.

2 weeks ago I installed a K&N CAI and it did make an improvement on gas mileage and when I get on the gas, sounds that much better with the WHOOSH of intake of air and the dual exhaust (MBRP) sound better. (More air etc).

The attached pics; snow on the ground, just taken and 2nd is just after a wash, with the summer wheels.

Mach 1 & Shelby are behind covered in the garage.

post-42677-0-76505600-1417619243_thumb.jpgpost-42677-0-87203800-1417617484_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

I’m resurrecting this tired old thread. 

In about 6 months or so, I am going to get serious about a new pickup truck for my DD here at home in Az. We will be moving everything to Az. by the end of the year and it will mark exactly 10 years that we’ve been essentially gone from Arizona as home base. I sold my big blue RAM a year and a half ago because it wouldn’t fit in the garage at our place in Sandee Eggo....now we don’t even have that “place” anymore. Sold it to downsize and have the dough for a nicer place here in Az. with more garage space! 

Right after selling the RAM, I leased a VW Tiguan R-Line as my snow car in NJ. It’s been great, and we both share it now as we wind down living back there. But, I don’t wanna pay to have it shipped here to Az. end of this year, on the account it’s a lease and I plan on just giving it back at term. 

QUESTION: 

Does anynone have personal DD Toyota Tacomas, Chevy Colorados, or Nissan Frontiers that can share their experiences / opinions on? It would be much appreciated! These are the trucks that I’m considering, primarily because it will be parked in a single bay garage and I don’t want or need anything huge anymore. Also because I don’t like what Ford is going to do with the new Ranger. :( 

I suppose if the 2door Bronco is ‘boxy looking’ like the old days and is truly a  Bronco redux.....I might consider it, if it comes soon enuf. But if not, the small pickup is in order. 

Thanks ahead of time guys!

BB

I currently own a 2000 Nissan Frontier that has been in my family for over 18 years. It currently has over 140,000 miles on it  and we have never had a problem with it. I have also owned a 2002, a 2003 and a 2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed. Combined I have logged well over 600,000 miles in Frontiers over the past 18 years. They are good trucks and I never had a problem with any of them. In terms of dependability they are almost bulletproof. However they are kind of plain inside. After driving various Frontiers for over a decade and running up over 220,00 miles on my 2004 Frontier, I went in and test drove a 2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. I liked the new design at the time ok, but I didn’t like that it somehow felt the cab had less headroom. I am just over 6 feet tall and my hair rubbed against the headliner which was annoying. The interior was but a bit plain.  The seats were too flat for my comfort as well. I then thought, I have had 3 or 4 Frontiers already and may want a change, so I went over to a Toyota dealership and tried out a Tacoma. The 2013 Tacoma drove softer than the Frontier but still handled well. The inside layout was better appointed and didn’t look “plain” like the Frontier. The seats were better In the Tacoma. The Tacoma also had more headroom. I also liked some of the under seat and behind the seat storage features that the Tacoma had. I purchased a white, loaded 2013 Tacoma that also had what is called the TEXAS Package. It comes with some badging  and bigger custom wheels and tires. I have had the Tacoma for going on 5 years now with no problems at all and I like it. There is one small thing that I don’t like and it is that on occasion there is a slight hesitation in throttle response when you are light on the throttle from a dead stop. I had it looked at but they said it was normal. I am looking at new trucks and have test driven a 2018 Frontier and a 2018 Tacoma both in Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed.  While you can’t go wrong with either truck as far as dependability, I would still chose the Tacoma over the Frontier . To me the Tacoma just looks way better inside and out. The fitment also appears better. The new Tacoma also feels a bit softer on the road but still handles well. The 2018 Tacoma also didn’t have the slight hesitation in the throttle that my 2013 has. The Tacoma also is quite capable off road, in fact I think it leads its class in off road capability.  Oh and TRD(Toyota Racing Division) makes a really nice bolt on supercharger package for the Tacoma that will make it run like a scalded dog.

If you are looking for a dependable midsize truck with good on and off road capability with good styling and a well-appointed interior go with the Tacoma.

No opinion on the Chevy. I am just not a GM guy............

3 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Why not get another Dodge Ram?   My 2004 Ram 1500 is the most solid vehicle I ever owned.  My wife prefers it for road trips.

Hey Tony, believe me....if I had the space for a big truck and the need again, I’d buy another RAM. I loved my last RAM. I’ve had three of them and they are solid, tough looking trucks. I just don’t want another large truck. Don’t need it at this point in my life. Thanks for the response sir. 

On 12/1/2014 at 5:08 PM, JeffJ said:

Thanks guys! 25K miles in 17 months so far driving 30 mi to work each way. Also a bit of drag racing here and there, sad that it's actually faster than my Shelby was when it was stock. Now I'm sure the ecoboost will be just as fast. That's progress I guess! :)

drag_zpsf300b7a1.jpg

Also has Jack Jr and Sr's sigs.

Kansas20135_zps846dadb2.jpg

1 hour ago, mhr1961 said:

I currently own a 2000 Nissan Frontier that has been in my family for over 18 years. It currently has over 140,000 miles on it  and we have never had a problem with it. I have also owned a 2002, a 2003 and a 2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed. Combined I have logged well over 600,000 miles in Frontiers over the past 18 years. They are good trucks and I never had a problem with any of them. In terms of dependability they are almost bulletproof. However they are kind of plain inside. After driving various Frontiers for over a decade and running up over 220,00 miles on my 2004 Frontier, I went in and test drove a 2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. I liked the new design at the time ok, but I didn’t like that it somehow felt the cab had less headroom. I am just over 6 feet tall and my hair rubbed against the headliner which was annoying. The interior was but a bit plain.  The seats were too flat for my comfort as well. I then thought, I have had 3 or 4 Frontiers already and may want a change, so I went over to a Toyota dealership and tried out a Tacoma. The 2013 Tacoma drove softer than the Frontier but still handled well. The inside layout was better appointed and didn’t look “plain” like the Frontier. The seats were better In the Tacoma. The Tacoma also had more headroom. I also liked some of the under seat and behind the seat storage features that the Tacoma had. I purchased a white, loaded 2013 Tacoma that also had what is called the TEXAS Package. It comes with some badging  and bigger custom wheels and tires. I have had the Tacoma for going on 5 years now with no problems at all and I like it. There is one small thing that I don’t like and it is that on occasion there is a slight hesitation in throttle response when you are light on the throttle from a dead stop. I had it looked at but they said it was normal. I am looking at new trucks and have test driven a 2018 Frontier and a 2018 Tacoma both in Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed.  While you can’t go wrong with either truck as far as dependability, I would still chose the Tacoma over the Frontier . To me the Tacoma just looks way better inside and out. The fitment also appears better. The new Tacoma also feels a bit softer on the road but still handles well. The 2018 Tacoma also didn’t have the slight hesitation in the throttle that my 2013 has. The Tacoma also is quite capable off road, in fact I think it leads its class in off road capability.  Oh and TRD(Toyota Racing Division) makes a really nice bolt on supercharger package for the Tacoma that will make it run like a scalded dog.

If you are looking for a dependable midsize truck with good on and off road capability with good styling and a well-appointed interior go with the Tacoma.

No opinion on the Chevy. I am just not a GM guy............

EXCELLENT write up bud! Thanks for your input. I totally agree on the bland interior in the Frontier, and above all...the flat, park bench feeling seats. I am currently renting a 2WD white SV V6 Crew Cab to check it out. Had it a week and really like the power of the 4.0 and the ride quality. The steering radius SUX however. It takes two tries to make a tight turn. I suppose these trucks still may use a recirc. ball gear box??? It sure feels that way. Gina asked me why it steered so bad... :lol: 

As for the Tacoma and it’s fresh new redesign, she wants one of them. Hands down for her. I like some of the colors offered in the Toyota trucks. Both Tacoma and Tundra. But man oh man, they are pricey. I suppose you get what you pay for. The same spec’d Nissan (price-wise) to the Toyota, gives you a V6 motor to the Toyota four banger. I have noticed this week that the Frontier loves the gas station as well. 

I was a Toyota parts Mgr. for a long while, a very long time ago, and you’d think I would appreciate the Toyota reliability and resale value, but as you mentioned, the Nissans are not slouch’s in reliability. They are definitely softer in KBB, than Toyota. So it’s a trade off I reckon. 

I remember the TRD super chargers. I sold a few to guys with brand new 4Runners, back in the day.  Back when they were very first introduced. I worked at Camelback Toyota in Phx. and we put a couple on brand new 4Runners and added an ADM.......they both sold ASAP! And you’re right....”scalded dog” is a great analogy. 

Thanks for the input fellas. I am not much of a GM guy myself, though we do have a Stingray, but I really like the new look of the Colorado’s and they have the 3.6 Camaro motor that makes around 300 ponies. I’m sure it’s detuned in the truck, but even still if it’s around 285, it still oughtta turn that larger rubber. 

Oh yeah, also the Frontier is due for a 2020 complete redesign. I saw it in this months  Car & Driver....... sorry.... had to do a double take....thought it was an article on the 2020 Ranger. :nonono:

I’ll keep plugging away on the web, and maybe rent a new Tacoma next for a week or so. We shall see. 

Archived