TEAM SHELBY FORUM

why so many for sale

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see an awful lot of 07 and 08 Shelby's for sale. Low mileage 1 owner cars. Is it the economy, are they upgrading or just tired of it already. Most are losing big money. For the amount produced the turn over percentage is pretty high. any thoughts.

I was curious about this as well as I just bought a '07 with 8k miles on it for dirt cheap.

Probably all of the above. Those that bought an early 07 are taking a huge hit when you factor in the ADM's. These tough economic times can require some to just cut their losses and sell it before they loose more value.

I'd guess it's one of two things. First, lots of people bought these up thinking that they'd be highly collectible (valuable) in the short or long term future. Obviously the short term investment hasn't paid off. These are the people that can afford to take the loss, I'd imagine. The 2nd big group of sellers is probably full of guys that paid ADM's on the cars in the heyday. After the housing market tanked (along with almost every other market), they found themselves under insane loans, paying triple what other guys are paying for cars of the same value. They've probably got bigger problems to worry about than continuing to pay their $1K+/month car payment on their ~$35K car, so they're cutting them loose. These are the guys that probably can't afford to take the loss but have no choice.

Probably all of the above. Those that bought an early 07 are taking a huge hit when you factor in the ADM's. These tough economic times can require some to just cut their losses and sell it before they loose more value.

+1... but I think the economy is probably more responsible for the bulk of the sales and depressed prices. The markets are really getting hammered again and a double dip recession is starting to look like a strong contender. Not good news at all.

I agree with all of the points everyone has brought up. There is still a great deal of uncertainty in the economy. That may be a factor.

How many of these cars were purchased with a high ADM? Are these buyers getting out from under their loans because they can get a 2010 or 11 and have a lower payment on it? All good points to consider.

you guys are over anyalyzing this.

The amount for sale looks about normal to me. You have to remember they have been building them for 5 years and nearly 10k a year. Thats a lot of Shelbys to go around, too many IMO. Market is saturated now

All the above- certainly not a scarce car any longer- the 07 was the first Shelby by Ford so some hoped for scarcity and that did not happen- best to hang on to your car if you can rather than take a big hit- if you want more power there will be a lot more choices but my 07 keeps me on my toes although I wish the insurance would drop a little faster. I like having the first model year but would like to have all the improvements that followed in the newer cars but quite frankly cannot afford the hit .

you guys are over anyalyzing this.

The amount for sale looks about normal to me. You have to remember they have been building them for 5 years and nearly 10k a year. Thats a lot of Shelbys to go around, too many IMO. Market is saturated now

+1... I really don't see any anomalies.

You'll soon be seeing 09s and 10s on the seller's block too.

The other points have some validity as well...

Economy...Economy...Economy....oh, and possible $3200 clutch replacement, now that the warr. is up!

I'm just sayin'.

:)

I agree that people had to sell them to deal with economic loses. Ford dealers could of chased a few away from not performing the TSB when they went in, and then the flywheel and clutch totally failed when it was out of warranty. That tends to piss people off. :rant2:

My guess, the majority of these sales are from people who either don't know the back story of Shelby or the GT500 and look at the GT500 the way most of us look at the Corvette, "Just another hot car." Most Americans don't own a car for more then 3yrs so what your seeing is what I would expect with any 3 year old car. People are trading up for the latest and greatest. Not saying that all of the the above explanations aren't also playing into the equation.

Economy...Economy...Economy....oh, and possible $3200 clutch replacement, now that the warr. is up!

I'm just sayin'.

:)

I've had all day to chew on this now. Am I wrong about this... are you guys that are indeed having problems, and indeed getting your dealer onboard with some sort of replacement parts...are they looking at this as a 5yr-50k PowerTrain coverage item?

If so...I stand corrected on the above statement.

Sorry?

I think the issue with the GT 500 is similar to the Shelby GT, many people bought these with huge ADMs thinking they would increase in value, which they haven't and with normal depreciation, have plunged in price. The economy is bad, prices of insurance/gas are up, and people are making choices about what is important in their lives.

If your making a huge car payment, that is an easy choice. It's a shame, but those that just had to have it and paid the huge ADM suffered the most, but that's capatilism.

The upside is, that many people who couldn't afford a new one can pick up a garage queen very reasonable. Just my thoughts on a touchy subjecy, but there are so many of them around now, it's no big deal to own one and there is always something greater and better out there for those that can afford it.

Mostly the economy just stinks, I'm keeping mine, bought it right and driving it on a regular basis........ GG

I see an awful lot of 07 and 08 Shelby's for sale. Low mileage 1 owner cars. Is it the economy, are they upgrading or just tired of it already. Most are losing big money. For the amount produced the turn over percentage is pretty high. any thoughts.

IMO we all get bored with stuff after a while. People, jobs, cars....homes....etc....etc.

I think if you tracked any sports car which had subsequent models coming out in the later years you would find some group of exodus looking to trade up. Sure the economy has something to do with it but I think this is just human nature.....any pyschologists on here?

Hi Guys,

I am a new member, so I hope I am replying correctly.

Here Goes, I think it does have a lot to do with the economy. A perfect example of this: I just purchased an 08 Gt500 Vista Blue with only 3k miles on it for the firesale price of $35k. And listen to this backstory and use your own judgement. I live in PA the original owner lives in MO. He purchased the car new for 50k in ealry 08 which was 3k over the sticker price. He figured he would own it the rest of his life. The Gt500 was a garage queen and never saw rain. This guy seemed to be very well off financially. Then the economy tanked and he sold it to me via Ebay for what he owed on the car. I saw the final figures from his credit union, he owed $34963. He was very sad and depressed at having to sell it. I felt sorry for him. But for all of us that couldnt afford a new one, this is the time to buy. His loss was my gain. And let me tell you, I love the Mustang. I just hope the same scenario doesnt happen to me.

Great to be a new addition to the club. I hope to have pics posted soon.

Hi Guys,

Here Goes, I think it does have a lot to do with the economy. A perfect example of this: I just purchased an 08 Gt500 Vista Blue with only 3k miles on it for the firesale price of $35k. And listen to this backstory and use your own judgement. I live in PA the original owner lives in MO. He purchased the car new for 50k in ealry 08 which was 3k over the sticker price. He figured he would own it the rest of his life. The Gt500 was a garage queen and never saw rain. This guy seemed to be very well off financially. Then the economy tanked and he sold it to me via Ebay for what he owed on the car. I saw the final figures from his credit union, he owed $34963. He was very sad and depressed at having to sell it. I felt sorry for him. But for all of us that couldnt afford a new one, this is the time to buy. His loss was my gain. And let me tell you, I love the Mustang. I just hope the same scenario doesnt happen to me.

Welcome aboard 1CoolCobra... make sure and get your dash plaque, if it doesn't have it already! :)

Bikeboy

I've had all day to chew on this now. Am I wrong about this... are you guys that are indeed having problems, and indeed getting your dealer onboard with some sort of replacement parts...are they looking at this as a 5yr-50k PowerTrain coverage item?

If so...I stand corrected on the above statement.

Sorry?

My dealer says 3/36, but if I have a flywheel warp over that but under 5/60, and they deny, I will, without a doubt, call my attorney. Flywheel is specifically included in the warranty, and it is also the part that fails and causes all the damage to the clutch, synchro's, etc... If the flywheel didn't warp, the subsequent damage wouldn't happen. I think with such a substantial TSB, that an attorney would actually have fun with this type of case. I know I would.....

My dealer says 3/36, but if I have a flywheel warp over that but under 5/60, and they deny, I will, without a doubt, call my attorney. Flywheel is specifically included in the warranty, and it is also the part that fails and causes all the damage to the clutch, synchro's, etc... If the flywheel didn't warp, the subsequent damage wouldn't happen. I think with such a substantial TSB, that an attorney would actually have fun with this type of case. I know I would.....

That is exactly the grief that would make some sell their GT500. Not only sell the car, but to never buy a Ford product again.

Hi Guys,

The original owner of that car got bent over. Many '08s cleared the market in the high 30's new with invoice pricing and the $3,000 rebate. Recovering 35 grand after 2-3 years on a car that sold for high 30's/low 40's is one heck of a retention of value.

I mentioned once before on this subject, that it seems interesting to me that KBB.com still has no value for the GT500 coupe or Vert?

Moreover, NADA does......?

KBB describes in a pop-up screen , that due to the limited amount of these cars, they are unable to determine a fair mrkt. value. We, including myself lately, have been going on and on about the 'limited production' of these cars. It would seem to me that KBB, the self described experts on car values in the US, could be on to something here. Everybody that has been posting lately as newbies to the Shelby world, with their first Shelby, specifically a GT500 are all getting them even with very low mileage, between 35K and 37K? Oddly, as well, the Vert's are seemingly not bringing much if any more $$$ ? What happened to the old saying, "top goes down...price goes up"?

Don't get mad convertible owners, but at least for this car (500) , if you are buying it for it's original intended purpose, a coupe is really the right choice for that. Please don't sling mud at me...I don't even track my car. I'm just trying to evaluate why there is not much spread in price between the two. Maybe this car is commanding the same $$$ in either form, because of this reason.

All that said, who is working for KBB these days? Do they not surf sites such as ours here? If you read the threads for just one week, you would realize what these cars are really changing hands for. I was a lucky MSRP first year buyer. And as for most of these cars STILL selling for , even as low as $35K, I am thinking that is a very strong resale value! Try buying a new, most anything, in '07 and try to sell it for only that much of a hit now in mid '10. You'd be hard pressed to find many other cars that are standing this strong!?

I"ve ridden Harley-Davidson Motorcycles for ages (my first Harley was a 1977 Low Rider in about 1979 or 80).

Every time a new model or "upgrade" came out, people would sell their old "antiquated" bike so they could have the latest greatest H-D.

When Evo's came out, people were selling their Shovelheads.

When Twin-Cam 88's came out, everyone was selling their Evo's.

When Delphi ESPFI came out, everyone wanted to sell their MM EFI bikes.

When the Twin-Cam 96 came out, everyone had to sell their 88's.

When they added a 6-spd, everyone wanted to sell their 5-spd (88" & 96").

I think it's a Male "ego" thing....you always want "bigger and/or better", no matter how green the grass is on your side of the fence.

I mean, how many people on THIS FORUM have you seen sell their 2010's just so they could get a 2011 with the "new and improved" Aluminium block and Elec. Steering? (and SVT PP, etc.)??

Sears had a very sucessful sales campaign. You could buy "Good, Better or Best". Now who here would sellte for "Good" when they can have "Better"...or settle for "Better" when they can have "the Best"???

Ego.

Phill

That is exactly the grief that would make some sell their GT500. Not only sell the car, but to never buy a Ford product again.

After many years of not buying Fords, I had a hard time comming to grips with dropping $50K on a Ford. But the GT500 has to be one of the most entertaining cars in existance, and I love every mile I get to spend driving it. With all that said, I wouldn't touch a Ford with a 10 foot pole for my other vehicles. I have spent $20K less on other cars, for daily use, and been treated like I bought a Rolls. Not so with the $50K Ford. No loaners when it gets dropped off routinely trying to fix problems. And that doesn't even include the fact I won't even take it in for the clutch TSB and the Vert Top TSB for wear. 1/2 the time I go to pick it up, and I almost can't get it in, because it is parked 1 foot away from a mid 90's Tracer os some piece of crap like that. Not cool....

When it comes to cars with soul, however, the GT500 is a massive winner! Can't beat the 5.4L. When I go WOT with the KR exhaust, it is amazing. People getting these cars in the $30's are getting the deal of a lifetime. Buy them and hold on to them, because, at some point, nice examples will get harder to find.

After many years of not buying Fords, I had a hard time comming to grips with dropping $50K on a Ford. But the GT500 has to be one of the most entertaining cars in existance, and I love every mile I get to spend driving it. With all that said, I wouldn't touch a Ford with a 10 foot pole for my other vehicles. I have spent $20K less on other cars, for daily use, and been treated like I bought a Rolls. Not so with the $50K Ford. No loaners when it gets dropped off routinely trying to fix problems. And that doesn't even include the fact I won't even take it in for the clutch TSB and the Vert Top TSB for wear. 1/2 the time I go to pick it up, and I almost can't get it in, because it is parked 1 foot away from a mid 90's Tracer os some piece of crap like that. Not cool....

When it comes to cars with soul, however, the GT500 is a massive winner! Can't beat the 5.4L. When I go WOT with the KR exhaust, it is amazing. People getting these cars in the $30's are getting the deal of a lifetime. Buy them and hold on to them, because, at some point, nice examples will get harder to find.

Well said. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE. A thing that is getting harder to find more and more these days anywhere. Back to topic...it is the perfect time for people to buy these cars.

Well said. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE. A thing that is getting harder to find more and more these days anywhere. Back to topic...it is the perfect time for people to buy these cars.

I don't know, it all depends on your dealer and the relationship you have with them. I had my 2010 GT500 (bought last July) serviced again less than 2 weeks ago and they comp'd the entire service and threw in a exterior detail to boot. The only thing I did before their lunch break was order several large all meat pizzas for the service reps. Gives new meaning to the saying "greasing the wheels"! hysterical.gif

I asked the question now time for my thoughts. I think many bought their cars and then didnt know what to do with them after purchase. Afraid to put miles on them, afraid to get them dirty, afraid they might get a scratch or road chip. So the car sits in the garage with a car cover. Now you have a 50k car that you are afraid to use and wasted a good warranty. They are paying insurance and registration every year and the value keeps going down. Now the stock market and 401ks are droping again and you sit back and think get out before I lose any more so sell the Shelby. For those that over bought meaning took loans that were over their head and now have trouble making the payments, Sorry no tears here. If you bought a 20k family car and were having trouble I would in deed feel sorry for you. I think buying a Shelby, Corvette, Porsche are for those that have worked hard earned the money and are rewarded . I feel the same about the housing market those that put no money down with bad loans and now cant keep up with payments should have never been able to do it in the first place. What happened to saving 20% down and then qualify for a loan and struggle along for a few years until things get better. That is why we are in recession in the first place. For those that did sacrifice and now have their dream car makes it worth much more than kbb could ever put on it.

I agree with 1CoolCobra. I started looking a couple of months ago. New 2011's selling for sticker to +$6K. No way I was going to pay $61K, so started looking around for a used one. Found a stock 2008 with 1480 miles on it and paid what was owed on it! I think it was bought to be an investment with the idea it would be worth a lot some day and the economy went south. I think I'll drive it and do some stuff to it!

Archived