TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best brakes for 2005+ gt

TX_JC_GT

Hey im saving up for new brakes on my 2005 mustang gt, i have stock on them now and they suck. When i was in Tulsa for Mid America Shelby i went to Halett and did a couple laps and i noticed its time for some new brakes. I want to with a full brake kit but i have no idea what is the best bang for the buck. Ive been looking at cragar, saleen, baer, roush, and stoptech. This is my everyday car and i dont know if i should go with slotted vs. drilled or both. any suggestions are great, thanks.

If you are going to track your car, the stock GT brakes need help.

I have seen a lot of guys upgrade the rotors and pads with great success. Vendors like Stillen and Porterfield are great sources for this mod.

I chose to upgrade the calipers and rotors on mine. I went with AP Racing 4 piston fronts with 14" slotted and drilled two piece rotors up front. On the rear, I kept the stock caliper and upgraded to Baer Eradispeed 2 rotors and Hawk ceramic/metallic pads. This set up works like a charm, virtually zero fade in a 15 + lap session.

The downside to my mod is that I needed to change the wheels for clearance. Hello GT500 wheels! All in all I am very happy with my set up.

Right now there is a bargain for Team Shelby members at the Shelby store for a very similar set up - Baer Extreme 6 pistons fronts with 14" rotors and Eradispeed 2s for the rear. Approx. $2100.00 for F+R - about a $1000 less than what I paid for mine..

^^^ yep, that setup on sale is a AWESOME value.

I'd just add that the serious racers pretty much agree drilled rotors are not something you want to put on your seriously-fast car. The holes create stress risers and take up space better utilized as friction surface.

Latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports mentions that.

With those wheels, you are pretty much limited to OE sized rotors, the OE caliper, a good set of pads (Hawk), braided lines and high temp fluid. I'm pretty sure there is less room behind the Foose wheels then the OE SGT wheels. Having said that, you will see a dramatic difference with just swapping pads and brake lines.

Yea i have 20 inch foose nitrous wheels

If you are going to track, get some 18s. The extra 20lbs per corner of unsprung weight with 20s is a bitch on the track and enhances your brake fade.

Plenty of people have tracked (for S and giggles, not competitive) with 20's it's just not ideal. I've never seen the Crager kit, but as far as I know they don't develop their own stuff, just rebage someone elses. Doesn't mean it's a bad kit, just may be cheaper through the manufacture. If you find something that will work with Foose wheels pretty much any 18" wheel will work. Obviously, the lighter and better constructed wheel (read strong and evenly balanced) would be best. A cost effective wheel that will clear pretty much any brake kit would be a set of 07-09 GT500 wheels. Not the lightest, but they Can be found cheap. Trash wheels (nicks, rash, scratches but true) can be had for $400 or less.

Yea i got my foose nitrous wheels for $350 with new tires on craigslist, i pulled off the damaged chrome rings foose puts around the lip and did some touchup paint on the damaged part and they look better then new, plus there isnt any all black without the chrome lip foose nitrous wheels out there. so i was preatty happy, but this clearence issue is no fun.

Archived