TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting ready for a 5,300 mile trip in the Shelby

TX STIG

I didn't read through the entire thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything. I have taken several "blind" long distance trips over the years and many of them were actually driving my new car home from various states around the Country. I'm sure most of the obvious stuff like water, oil, tire plugs, tools, etc.. have been covered but here are few small things that could prove invaluable:

A bottle of tylonal, Pepto, a few roles of toilet paper, a pack of microfibers, a bottle of waterless wash and quick detailer, something to occupy the little one like a PSP or DVD player cause the sites are only gonna last so long :shift: , a disposable camera or two, two or three roles of quarters, a no balance credit card with a high limit (just in case), a photo copy of ALL the items in your wallet stored safely somewhere inside the car or under the insole of your sneaks (this is the cop in me coming out, if you lose your wallet on the road, your BONED trying to remember what was in it and what the account numbers and all were), a list of some local PD's addresses and phone #'s along the way in case you need a heads up on where is "safe" to be and where is not, a pack of strike anywhere matches and extra batteries for anything your bringing that's battery operated.

MY GOD - if I hadn't already been a certified Iron Butt rider and used to long distance traveling, you guys would have me too scared to travel more than a county away with all these precautions! :hysterical:

Seriously though - a lot of good info and many things I've adjusted/purchased as a result of this thread. Thanks guys!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MY GOD - if I hadn't already been a certified Iron Butt rider and used to long distance traveling, you guys would have me too scared to travel more than a county away with all these precautions! :hysterical:

Seriously though - a lot of good info and many things I've adjusted/purchased as a result of this thread. Thanks guys!

Tell me about your IBR experience?

What cert?

What kind of bike?

When?

I know or have known quite a few IBR riders (mostly Harley riders but a couple of non-H-Ds too).

Phill

Tell me about your IBR experience?

What cert?

What kind of bike?

When?

I know or have known quite a few IBR riders (mostly Harley riders but a couple of non-H-Ds too).

Phill

It was the basic - 1,000 miles in 24 hours. Back in July 2004 we rode from north Texas to about 90 miles north of Cheyenne, WY, then back down to Denver. It was about 1,100 miles in 19.5 hours. I believe I was the first person to do an IBR on a KTM 950. It's a great bike, as the first day was all pavement, then the second day we were going over mountain passes off-road - very versatile bike.

16102984_LpX2S-L.jpg

Im not a biker,but a friend of mine did a record setting run from Prudhomme bay to the tip of Argentina in 25 days 3 years ago--all by himself on a BMW, which kept almost dying on him--he did as a fund raiser for a charity--hes 45 but really wanted to do it.His name is David Gerulski

Im not a biker,but a friend of mine did a record setting run from Prudhomme bay to the tip of Argentina in 25 days 3 years ago--all by himself on a BMW, which kept almost dying on him--he did as a fund raiser for a charity--hes 45 but really wanted to do it.His name is David Gerulski

That would be an awesome ride. I had a trip to the Arctic Circle planned out, but canceled when I realized I'd miss my son's first day of kindergarten. Some day...

Hats off to you for the 1k. I've also done a 1k years ago as part of a Blue Knights event out of Boomtown, NV. Basically a lap around Nevada by way of the eastern edge of Yosemite and back up through the Extraterrestrial Highway. Done on a GoldWing.

-Wingrider.

Stig, I forgot to mention this earlier (haven't read all the posts so sry if repeated) take a pistol on that long of a journey.

Stig, I forgot to mention this earlier (haven't read all the posts so sry if repeated) take a pistol on that long of a journey.

Yep, I'll be taking the Glock .45. My son also wants to bring his .22 pistol, so we may find a place to shoot some cans.

I think I'm going to 86 the Bryce and Zion national parks due to the distance out of the way, and therefore have more time at other locations. I've also modified the route to go up Death Valley and not the Loneliest Highway, and stay a night in the sleeping bag at Lake Tahoe.

This is the plan...

Day 1: Krum, TX to Holbrook, AZ - 835 miles - motel

Day 2: Holbrook, AZ to Pahrump, NV - 450 miles - Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Shelby HQ in Las Vegas - motel

Day 3: Pahrump, NV to Lake Tahoe, CA - 450 miles - Death Valley - camping

Day 4: Lake Tahoe, CA to Eureka, CA - 424 miles - Red Woods, Ave of the Giants - motel

Day 5: Eureka, CA to Cape Lookout State Park, OR - 377 miles - Highway 101 - camping

Day 6: Cape Lookout State Park, OR to SeaTac Airport, WA (son will fly home) - 246 miles - Highway 101

Not sure about the route home yet.

This is the plan...

Day 1: Krum, TX to Holbrook, AZ - 835 miles - motel

Day 2: Holbrook, AZ to Pahrump, NV - 450 miles - Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Shelby HQ in Las Vegas - motel

Day 3: Pahrump, NV to Lake Tahoe, CA - 450 miles - Death Valley - camping

Day 4: Lake Tahoe, CA to Eureka, CA - 424 miles - Red Woods, Ave of the Giants - motel

Day 5: Eureka, CA to Cape Lookout State Park, OR - 377 miles - Highway 101 - camping

Day 6: Cape Lookout State Park, OR to SeaTac Airport, WA (son will fly home) - 246 miles - Highway 101

Not sure about the route home yet.

be neat if some TS members could be your wingman on part of the trip

• 1 month later...

Archived