TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting ready for a 5,300 mile trip in the Shelby

TX STIG

Later next month I'm taking my 9 year old son on a road trip from TX to Seattle. Along the way we're going to see the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon National Park (my son's name is Bryce), Zion National Park, Hoover Dam, Loneliest Highway, drive through the Red Woods in northern CA, and drive up the PCH through Oregon and on into Seattle. At that point I'll fly him home and then I'll attend a few days of meetings for work and then drive home in a more direct route.

I've done similiar distance before riding solo on KTM and BMW motorcycles, so the idea of traveling so far w/o a spare tire is nothing new. However, if anyone has any advice on what to bring in addition to the factory supplied tire plug kit, then I'd appreciate the advice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Later next month I'm taking my 9 year old son on a road trip from TX to Seattle. Along the way we're going to see the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon National Park (my son's name is Bryce), Zion National Park, Hoover Dam, Loneliest Highway, drive through the Red Woods in northern CA, and drive up the PCH through Oregon and on into Seattle. At that point I'll fly him home and then I'll attend a few days of meetings for work and then drive home in a more direct route.

I've done similiar distance before riding solo on KTM and BMW motorcycles, so the idea of traveling so far w/o a spare tire is nothing new. However, if anyone has any advice on what to bring in addition to the factory supplied tire plug kit, then I'd appreciate the advice.

we did a similar Grand canyon trip a few years ago.If youre going to GrandCanyon first, drive around the East End and go thru Lake Powell--we stayed tere over night and took the dinner cruise whcih was pretty spectacular.Thers a spot there called South Antelope Canyon, which is on a Indian Reservation.Is really an incredible rocke formation made by rain sifting thru the rock sandstone---its about 100 ft deep,and if your into photo stuff at all, youll get some spectacular fotos inside the "slot canyon" from the sun being filteres by the light. It takes about an hour, and you get there by meeting a pick-up truck at a sounvenir store.Bryce is beautifl at dusk and surnise

, and if youre a walker, its aveyr interesing walk. Zion has a really nice drive thru the canyon youll take,and the town on the other side is really nice--a few of the hotels there back up to the canyon and its quite a view.You can walk the river, actualy in the river.Hope you have alot of fun, and no car issues.If you dont have a good camera, i just bought a really nice Panasonic Lumix Zs7--it has 16X zoom, 12MB pics and fits in your pocket easily.The most amazing thing though is it has 1080p video--you can get it for $300--if you want more info PM me--bob

AAA card? I always try to carry some tools, extra oil, etc.

Sounds like a great trip! I love long road trips!

Good idea on the AAA. The oil tags along in a Ziplock bag.

BTW, I just did a road trip a couple weeks ago over Talimena Scenic Byway, the Pig Trail, and up to Eureka Springs and War Eagle. I love those NW Arkansas rollercoaster roads!

I often travel for a couple weeks via motorcycle and my suggestion would be a small cheapie nylon type cooler bag with a few water bottles in it. You can throw ice in it along the way via hotels and you never know what will happen that can leave you without A/C on the side of a road. Plus you can stuff a leftover hamburger or 9yo type snack in it.

I had a battery die on me (causing the car to shut down) in the Expedition on another trip because the alternator was failing. An hour in 100+ heat wasn't fun waiting for AAA....

The water also came in handy to give to a rider that I came across that had a flat tire and was stuck on the side of the road with no shade or water.

The simplest of things can be the most vital.

-Wingrider

P.S.- If your 9yo is a fan of the Pixar film Cars- Try to travel towards the canyon via route 66 and stay in Holbrook AZ, at the Wigwam Motel. They based a segment of the movie on the cement teepees there. There's even decent grub for breakfast up the street.

http://www.takemytrip.com/064corners/06_11a.htm

we did a similar Grand canyon trip a few years ago.If youre going to GrandCanyon first, drive around the East End and go thru Lake Powell--we stayed tere over night and took the dinner cruise whcih was pretty spectacular.Thers a spot there called South Antelope Canyon, which is on a Indian Reservation.Is really an incredible rocke formation made by rain sifting thru the rock sandstone---its about 100 ft deep,and if your into photo stuff at all, youll get some spectacular fotos inside the "slot canyon" from the sun being filteres by the light. It takes about an hour, and you get there by meeting a pick-up truck at a sounvenir store.Bryce is beautifl at dusk and surnise

, and if youre a walker, its aveyr interesing walk. Zion has a really nice drive thru the canyon youll take,and the town on the other side is really nice--a few of the hotels there back up to the canyon and its quite a view.You can walk the river, actualy in the river.Hope you have alot of fun, and no car issues.If you dont have a good camera, i just bought a really nice Panasonic Lumix Zs7--it has 16X zoom, 12MB pics and fits in your pocket easily.The most amazing thing though is it has 1080p video--you can get it for $300--if you want more info PM me--bob

Thanks for the tips! However, I'm guessing our experience with the Grand Canyon will be a lot like Chevy Chase on Vacation. "Yep (nod head a couple times), let's go." :hysterical:

I often travel for a couple weeks via motorcycle and my suggestion would be a small cheapie nylon type cooler bag with a few water bottles in it. You can throw ice in it along the way via hotels and you never know what will happen that can leave you without A/C on the side of a road. Plus you can stuff a leftover hamburger or 9yo type snack in it.

I had a battery die on me (causing the car to shut down) in the Expedition on another trip because the alternator was failing. An hour in 100+ heat wasn't fun waiting for AAA....

The water also came in handy to give to a rider that I came across that had a flat tire and was stuck on the side of the road with no shade or water.

The simplest of things can be the most vital.

-Wingrider

P.S.- If your 9yo is a fan of the Pixar film Cars- Try to travel towards the canyon via route 66 and stay in Holbrook AZ, at the Wigwam Motel. They based a segment of the movie on the cement teepees there. There's even decent grub for breakfast up the street.

http://www.takemytrip.com/064corners/06_11a.htm

Cool - I'll see about adding that motel to the route - thanks!

Nothing helpful to add, but just wanted to say I hope you guys have a great time! It sounds like a blast and I'm looking into doing a road trip with my wife in August for our anniversary in the new 2011 we just purchased.

Actually one thing does come to mind. How might you be protecting yourself against rock chips as you'll have a lot of risk? Clear bra, leather bra, or prayer?

Nothing helpful to add, but just wanted to say I hope you guys have a great time! It sounds like a blast and I'm looking into doing a road trip with my wife in August for our anniversary in the new 2011 we just purchased.

Actually one thing does come to mind. How might you be protecting yourself against rock chips as you'll have a lot of risk? Clear bra, leather bra, or prayer?

A tube of touch-up paint. ;)

I have clear bra on the truck and my wife's altima. I'm starting to debate the value because over time it becomes more noticeable and grime becomes permanently attached to the edge of the film. Then you can see all the lines. It kind of feels like a no-win.

Good idea on the AAA. The oil tags along in a Ziplock bag.

BTW, I just did a road trip a couple weeks ago over Talimena Scenic Byway, the Pig Trail, and up to Eureka Springs and War Eagle. I love those NW Arkansas rollercoaster roads!

Well crap! Wish I had joined up months ago, it would have been cool to meet up. I live in Springdale, about 40 miles from Eureka Springs. I haven't gotten time to head out to the Pig Trail with the Shelby yet. It's definitely on the list though.

A camera is something I always forget, so good someone remembered to mention that.

I've often thought about some of that clear body tape that I've seen autocross racers use. It doesn't seem to be too expensive and would be a good way to prevent rock chips on a long trip. Just a thought.

I have clear bra on the truck and my wife's altima. I'm starting to debate the value because over time it becomes more noticeable and grime becomes permanently attached to the edge of the film. Then you can see all the lines. It kind of feels like a no-win.

Combine what you said with a little more apathy with older age, and I try not to tailgat as much. With 600 rwhp it's now easy to stay back and pass, rather than riding someone's ass and pass.

Several years ago we took a trip to Hoover Dam. They were just starting work on the bridge across the canyon just below the dam. I don’t know if it is finished, but if it is it would be a great experience for the 9 year old (and probably for Dad) to take a ride over the canyon.

Sounds like an incredible trip for you and your boy. I'd put together a good First-aid kit., good pair of leather gloves, good knife, maybe even a emergency blanket.

Having something to record video is a great idea, maybe find away to attach it in your car and just record you and son talking about things.

A laptop with WiFi.

I use it to make hotel reservations....from the parking lot of the hotel. You get the "Internet Discount", which is the cheapest rate you can get.

You can leech off of the hotel's own WiFi for free. Super8 uses a password protected WiFi, password is 'super8'

I make the reservation, wait about 10 mins and walk in and get my room cheaper than if I had reserved it weeks ahead of time.

Phill

A laptop with WiFi.

I use it to make hotel reservations....from the parking lot of the hotel. You get the "Internet Discount", which is the cheapest rate you can get.

You can leech off of the hotel's own WiFi for free. Super8 uses a password protected WiFi, password is 'super8'

I make the reservation, wait about 10 mins and walk in and get my room cheaper than if I had reserved it weeks ahead of time.

Phill

Excellent idea. I usually get federal government rate, but I'll compare it to the internet rate.

Or just use get an iphone and ipad and be connected to the internet the whole drive, so you can stream anything for the little guy along this week long trip just as long as you have 3g signal.

2 Radar detectors is always good protection. A V1 and 9500xi should keep you safe. My V1 has saves my but so many times on road trips through new areas.

Invisable Glas wipes, and quick detailer with micro fiber cloths for the bugs

I reccomend driving through Lake Tahoe

Thanks for the tips! However, I'm guessing our experience with the Grand Canyon will be a lot like Chevy Chase on Vacation. "Yep (nod head a couple times), let's go." :hysterical:

yeah--when weer there the ranger told us the average time spent at the Canyon was 30minutes--mainly due to the high amount of bus traffic from Phoenix and Scottsdale.Thats why the drive around thru Lake Powell is great, you can keep stopping along the canyon and see differnt views

Just purchased a Premier Membership with AAA - thanks!

I don't know if it matters/applies or not but I'd make sure you were covered for tow truck necessary to tow a shelby. I was checking my manual and it looks like you want to use a flatbet.

Do you have a good brand to recommend and a place to buy it?

Regular auto parts store, they sell the tools, glue and plugs to most garages. Pep Boys had the good Camel tools and glue there last time I was in there. The thick T-handled tools are best, I always buy a jar of glue as well instead of the tube that dries up after a while. I have plugged tires in the middle of nowhere, even when I had a spare, then when you get to a town it can be patched from the inside. The tire goo will wreck the sensor and make a mess in the tire and if you are lucky it will seal the leak.

I have been lucky for a long time, didnt have a flat in 10 years, then one day loaded the family up in my old G8 pontiac and headed to disneyworld in the middle of summer. I had 2 flats on the way down, one nail and one 1/4" bolt, the pontiac had no spare and had the pump/goo, but luckily I brought a plug kit along and they lasted the whole trip and I had them repaired near home.

I second the microfiber towels. wipe the car down each evening to keep bug guts from eating the car... then you have a spiffy cleaner car for the morning!

I usually ask for a couple of extra towels for "cleaning the windshield" from the hotel folks. then use them with hot water to GENTLY* soften up any bugs before properly cleaning the car.

* Yes extreme care should be taken if you are of the persuasion that any towel other than microfiber is like steel wool on a painted surface. blotting or letting the hot water wet cloth sit on the bugs before cleaning can't possibly hurt.

Or just use get an iphone and ipad and be connected to the internet the whole drive, so you can stream anything for the little guy along this week long trip just as long as you have 3g signal.

2 Radar detectors is always good protection. A V1 and 9500xi should keep you safe. My V1 has saves my but so many times on road trips through new areas.

Invisable Glas wipes, and quick detailer with micro fiber cloths for the bugs

I reccomend driving through Lake Tahoe

I stayed on Lake Tahoe a couple years ago for work. Beautiful area!

I am located in SE Arizona. If you need any directions or help when going through here let me know.

Jeff

Archived