TEAM SHELBY FORUM

thinkin about going to the dark side...or

decisions, decisionsbanghead.gif

was thinkin about having a supercharger installed. then i saw the thread about the Ford Racing intake manifold.

manifold is available sometime in mid May or later.

hmm... ford racing intake mainfold and hot rod cams(for the cool idle sound)spiteful.gif and...does the Shelby GT already have the ford racing throttle body?

I dunno, the turbo or paxton (I'm not certain about the paxtons limits) alone is capable of pushing the bottom end to the limit, I think the aluminator short block and a turbo would be the hot setup for the same cash. Too many choices... not enough cash.

With the FRPP kit you can turn down the boost and meet the same numbers by being more efficent with less stress. My understanding is it's not so much the HP that is the limiting factor but the amount of load and stress you place on the motor to make that HP.

It all about choosing the right mix of parts to complement each other and building a foundation. $3500 for the FRPP this year, $3500 for the alluminator next year, $3500 for a Paxton the year after that. Or in any order you want.

GAWD! now i'm confused!censored.gif

i may pass up on supercharger and just get FR intake mani and FR hot rod cams...like to get some jba headers too. i think if i can get 30 or 40 more HP i'll be happy. goal is 350hp.

btw, wtf is an alluminator short block?

aluminator

there's an aluminator, forged bottom end, available in two diff compression ratios... and recently dropped down in price quite a bit to the $3200 ish range...

wait for the new 9.8:1 Aluminator, more CR less boost, less heat soak :happy feet:

Eventually I would like to do an NA build but its going to be a long slow process. I do like the sound (and HP) of the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams. A combination of those, the Ford Racing manifold, throttle body, pullies and shorties along w/ a proper tune would make for an awesome package I'm sure! I've been working from the ground up, starting w/ suspension.

wait for the new 9.8:1 Aluminator, more CR less boost, less heat soak :happy feet:

I've been wondering which CR is "best"... what you are saying makes sense to me, it didn't make sense to lower compression just to end up running more boost to make the same power levels, but I just assumed I was wrong about how it all worked... ESPECIALLY with turbo or centris it seemed like you'd lose the bottom end torque by dropping the CR.

What kind of RWHP are we limited to with 93 octane anyway?

decisions, decisionsbanghead.gif

was thinkin about having a supercharger installed. then i saw the thread about the Ford Racing intake manifold.

manifold is available sometime in mid May or later.

hmm... ford racing intake mainfold and hot rod cams(for the cool idle sound)spiteful.gif and...does the Shelby GT already have the ford racing throttle body?

Go for the Cams and Intake as heard the cams make a huge difference. Can always add the blower later

I've been wondering which CR is "best"... what you are saying makes sense to me, it didn't make sense to lower compression just to end up running more boost to make the same power levels, but I just assumed I was wrong about how it all worked... ESPECIALLY with turbo or centris it seemed like you'd lose the bottom end torque by dropping the CR.

What kind of RWHP are we limited to with 93 octane anyway?

If you're looking for the most on pump gas, a lower CR with a bit more boost will actually permit tuning to a higer overall output than a higher CR with less boost (for same level of engien prep, and pump gas, etc). It's a bit counterintuitive and the core explanation is complex (wish I could find an outstanding article on this from a while back -- I've been looking for 20+ minutes) but if the the SC has enough efficient flow to support the larger combustion chamber of the lower CR, pushing that additional mix through a larger combustion chamber (lower static CR) has a higher overall HP potential for a given octane number.

If octane is not the limiter, then the higher static CR and less boost will have more total HP potential. But if you're looking for the most on pump gas (93 limit), the lower CR and a bit more boost is the better choice, imo.

If octane is not the limiter, then the higher static CR and less boost will have more total HP potential. But if you're looking for the most on pump gas (93 limit), the lower CR and a bit more boost is the better choice, imo.

You have to be careful not to lower it too far. Once you drop the compression too far you cross a threshold where you begin to lose more horsepower than you can make up with boost/timing. We typically do not go lower than 9.3:1 compression on any build.

if i do a cam job, do i need to upgrade the valves and springs or can i still use stock valves and springs?

i just want to start out a little at a time without gettin in over my head.

Archived