TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Functional Side Sccop

That would DEFINITELY be pretty cool! I seem to remember that the hood scoop didn't actually get air pushed thru it though because of the way the air flowed over it though, right? I wonder if the aerodynamics of the sides would actually push the air into the brakes?

That would DEFINITELY be pretty cool! I seem to remember that the hood scoop didn't actually get air pushed thru it though because of the way the air flowed over it though, right? I wonder if the aerodynamics of the sides would actually push the air into the brakes?

Right.... so I guess it is really pseudo functional but I am gonna find out on the side scoops !

Take Care

Andrew

Right.... so I guess it is really pseudo functional but I am gonna find out on the side scoops !

Take Care

Andrew

nothing a plasma cutter shouldn't fix. I would think you would be able to cut 2 1/2 inch to 3" hold thru qtr just under the scoop and mock up for fitment. May need to fabricate a two sided plate to mount the ductwork on the interior and a separate plate on the o/s of qtr. panel to be covered by scoop. Then you would need to figure out how to get air thru the scoop itself without drawing rain in during heavy rains.....I think it will work though w/some thought......

The original GT350's ('65 model year) came with functional side scoops. The actual inlet under the scoop was nothing more than a circular hole. There are plenty of naca ducts On the market that something could rigged to work under the scoop with simple rivets and body sealer. As far as getting air, my guess is it would receive plenty.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=DUCTNACA

My worry with brake ducts is that you don't want them all the time on a street driven car as it will collect all kinds of road trash and water and throw it at your brakes. As long as the hoses can be removed when not on the track it's a great idea.

The original GT350's ('65 model year) came with functional side scoops. The actual inlet under the scoop was nothing more than a circular hole. There are plenty of naca ducts On the market that something could rigged to work under the scoop with simple rivets and body sealer. As far as getting air, my guess is it would receive plenty.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=DUCTNACA

Very Cool this could work

My worry with brake ducts is that you don't want them all the time on a street driven car as it will collect all kinds of road trash and water and throw it at your brakes. As long as the hoses can be removed when not on the track it's a great idea.

Could possibly make Black foam plugs to fit in scoop ?

Take Care

Andrew

Andrew,

Are there holes in the side of the car??? I'm curious due to the two "mounting areas" that look to be in the middle of the scoop and the white "push tab" on the back side....what's up with that??? Looks like tape was on the top, front and very bottom of the scoop, nothing on the back side to secure it to the car...just my observation from the pics...

Carl

Andrew,

Are there holes in the side of the car??? I'm curious due to the two "mounting areas" that look to be in the middle of the scoop and the white "push tab" on the back side....what's up with that??? Looks like tape was on the top, front and very bottom of the scoop, nothing on the back side to secure it to the car...just my observation from the pics...

Carl

Bingo !

2 white push tabs slide into the slots in the scoop and than push into holes in the body and than tape.

web.jpg

I'll get a better photo tomorrow

Andrew

almost looks like it would be simple to just cut out the fake grill, cut an opening and just use the scoop as it is. I would try and fab up some kind of removable frame that could be covered with a mesh or covered with a solid "plug" material to pop in and out and it should work pretty good. I'm sure that Heath might come up with something a little more slick though!

almost looks like it would be simple to just cut out the fake grill, cut an opening and just use the scoop as it is. I would try and fab up some kind of removable frame that could be covered with a mesh or covered with a solid "plug" material to pop in and out and it should work pretty good. I'm sure that Heath might come up with something a little more slick though!

I was thinking the same thing but I want to see what Heath comes up with. You probably could cut out the fake honeycomb insert and replace it with some of this and use the white push things and tape. I am thinking rivets or bondo or some bodywork to make it more permanent .....not sure but I keep thinking

Thanks

Andrew

Ya, Would think you will want something a little stronger then the plasic clips and tape to hold on the scoop. If I remeber correctly the ones used on the original GT350 were either riveted or bolted on from inside the cab.

Bingo !

2 white push tabs slide into the slots in the scoop and than push into holes in the body and than tape.

web.jpg

I'll get a better photo tomorrow

Andrew

This pic clarified it a little more for me too...I see a good amount of tape still on the car on the rear portion of the scoop.....I know the scoops are advertised as not needing the white clips if you just want to install them yourself....I'd hate to have to drill some holes in my wife's 2010 to add the scoops to it....she wants scoops, stripes and pipes on her car for starters....but I don't want to drill holes for the scoops...that's why I was asking about the tape toward the rear of the scoop....looks like the 3M tape would hold just fine for just adding the scoops without drilling holes....

Thanks,

Carl

I don't know how much more pressure having it functional would put on it, but I would think the tape and the clips would hold it still since the air goes in and thru the ducts, not just constant pressure... Looks like the clips could be kept with a duct maybe... If not, I would consider some SEM panel bond adhesive (i think that's the label), it's stuff that is used in place of welding to put new body panels in when dealing with plastic panels primarily. Not certain how it would hold against the paint, but it's likely that they would be impossible to remove after using something like that too.... Food for thought though. Maybe I'll do some high tech testing and try and put my hand down there going down the highway and see if the wind pushes hard on that area.... that'd be scientific, eh?

additional thought: IF you use the factory peices, you could possibly do some fiberglass work inside them to funnel the air into the hole a little better too if you think it would matter... the benefit of that is way beyond my expertise though :)

Ya, Would think you will want something a little stronger then the plasic clips and tape to hold on the scoop. If I remeber correctly the ones used on the original GT350 were either riveted or bolted on from inside the cab.

Ford installation is as pictured. No side scoops on the 65. 66 was the first year. Attached by 3 bolts and studs through the body and the hose flange installed from the outside to the inside of the body with pop rivets, hose connected to the flange running to another mounting flange cut into the rear inner fender well to which the hose was attached. The flange on the fender well was held by pop rivets.

Roger

Very Cool this could work

Could possibly make Black foam plugs to fit in scoop ?

Take Care

Andrew

As far as blocking the scoop you can just expoxy 2 brackets to the back of the scoop and use that felt that interlocks so you can pull it apart whenever you like.

It just dawned on me I have one of the side scoops still intact and can send it to Heath Lhoste of the famous Chip Beck Hood Scoop for prototyping and possibly use the Agent 47 brake cooling kit to make a functional side scoop !

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

Andrew,

I've been MIA for a while. The Ford GT Forum has been keeping me busy. I was visiting with Heath yesterday and looked at your side scoops. He will be using my SGT to work out the details. I'll stay in touch.

Chip

Andrew,

I've been MIA for a while. The Ford GT Forum has been keeping me busy. I was visiting with Heath yesterday and looked at your side scoops. He will be using my SGT to work out the details. I'll stay in touch.

Chip

Thanks Chip !

Andrew

It just dawned on me I have one of the side scoops still intact and can send it to Heath Lhoste of the famous Chip Beck Hood Scoop for prototyping and possibly use the Agent 47 brake cooling kit to make a functional side scoop !

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

I'd buy a set...

Andrew,

Chip

owe...is that Shelby going to be repaired?

Archived