TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track Day- tow bracket & hook

After yesterday there is now a bolt on bracket that's designed to work with the FRPP tow hook. It requires the front cover to be removed for the assembly, but no modification to the front cover is required. She is a stout piece and can be welded if need be.

It bolts directly to the middle of the underside of the bumper support, if you reach under with your hand you can feel a edge, this bracket is design to mount on the other side of that edge so the base of the mount becomes a fixture of the bumper support and not just the Grade 8 bolt for strength. It requires a single hole to be drilled thru the underside of the bumper support. A hole saw is then used to drill a hole in the front channel (like the factory does for the front bumper support mounting bolts) this allows room for a socket to get to the back side for the nut.

Besides my Shelby, I'll also be installing one on our Roush even tho it's won't be on the track, but since the cars sits so low it will certainly make it easier to load it in a trailer or a roll back if the car becomes disabled. I should have kits complete with mounting hardware and FRPP hooks ready to ship in a couple of weeks- I'll have pricing set before then-

BTW the tow hook bracket does fit between the gap in the bumper cover and Shelby SGT lower grill insert without issue, I'll have pictures once I get the next proto type back and installed on my SGT.

Let me know if there is interest here-

Here is a few shots of the proto type installed on a Roush application-

photo1.jpg

P4241383.jpg

P4241385.jpg

photo2.jpg

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, very interested though I am curious at what point (lbs) will the braket or the mounting point on the bumper will shear?

That would be my concern, too. If the hook is placed there for looks, that will not be a problem but on a track, they hook them up and get them out of there so the pull would tend to be abrupt rather than smooth as it would be if winching it onto a flat bed.

I very much like the clean install and look, however (it was painful to cut my front bumper cover even though it came out well).

Jim

Yes, very interested though I am curious at what point (lbs) will the bracket or the mounting point on the bumper will shear?

I can't imagine it being any weaker then the FRPP bumper support with it's thin tap used on the FR500C and FR500S race cars

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10488

Count me in as well...

Q: are these required for track days, or just very useful to avoid damage to the car if you need

to get it off the track?

-Tom

Not required but just very useful piece of equipment and the hook can simply be removed from the bracket after each track day (that's my intent). Last August I blew my clutch up, the track staff could only push my car to a safe location by hand and then I had to hold my breath as it was winched onto the roll back. Thank goodness I had my street tires available to install to raise the car up a little, even then the front valance was under great distress during the process. I immediatley started looking for a solution to make the process a breeze in the case either of my cars become disabled.

P8191282.jpg

Very interested in GT500 application, PM me if you would like to work together on how to make it work?

Regards, Fordie

No worries, I'll be measuring things up for the GT500 application during Grabbers upcoming event May 29th :)

I guess my concern is more about leverage then the strength of the bracket. I would worry the bracket would peel away the underside of the bumper like an old beer can pull top when it's under stress. I may be completely off base as I am assuming that where the bracket is mounting is not as strong as the face of the bumper. If the bracket attached with at least three bolts in a triangle pattern with a sandwiched plate on the inside of the bumper then I would feel more comfortable pulling 3300+ pounds with it.

I'm sure you looked at many different options, I've only thought about this for 15min. so I may be talking out my backside.

I guess my concern is more about leverage then the strength of the bracket. I would worry the bracket would peel away the underside of the bumper like an old beer can pull top when it's under stress. I may be completely off base as I am assuming that where the bracket is mounting is not as strong as the face of the bumper. If the bracket attached with at least three bolts in a triangle pattern with a sandwiched plate on the inside of the bumper then I would feel more comfortable pulling 3300+ pounds with it.

I'm sure you looked at many different options, I've only thought about this for 15min. so I may be talking out my backside.

If it's piece of mind, a fender washer is used on the back side to help spread the load on the bumper support.. I suppose if your still concerned you can weld additional material under the support and then weld this bracket to that.. That's over kill to me, my plan was to provide a bolt on tow point to assist in removing the car out of harms way and to help load on a roll back or trailer without damage to the valance and cosmetics of the vehicle. Anything beyond that is up to you..

I just looked at my front bumper, and you are right. What I was invisioning as to how the bumper is formed/shapped was not right. I would bet that this hook and bracket would be more than adequate.

Count me in for one.

Thank you for the postive responses, I have lots of inquires and interest from a few other sites also-

It's nice to know I can help my fellow track enthusiast-

I should have kits complete and ready to ship by the middle of May and should have the pricing set by the end of this week-

I know pricing is going to be an issue so I'm ordering up the tow hook loops ($55ea + frt) in bulk to help save on some costs-

SGT, GT & CS = 4" bracket

FordFan SGT Tow Hook Kit will includes the following:

1) FordFan hook loop bracket for GT/CS or Roush

2) Detailed installation instructions

3) Grade 8 mounting hardware

4) M-17954-A FRPP tow hook loop

Thank you for the postive responses, I have lots of inquires and interest from a few other sites also-

It's nice to know I can help my fellow track enthusiast-

I should have kits complete and ready to ship by the middle of May and should have the pricing set by the end of this week-

I know pricing is going to be an issue so I'm ordering up the tow hook loops ($55ea + frt) in bulk to help save on some costs-

SGT, GT & CS = 4" bracket

FordFan SGT Tow Hook Kit will includes the following:

1) FordFan hook loop bracket for GT/CS or Roush

What size grade 8 bolt are you planning on using? The bigger the bolt, the larger shear capability this kit will have.

What size grade 8 bolt are you planning on using? The bigger the bolt, the larger shear capability this kit will have.

1/2" bolt..

Shear strength is typically 60% of tensile strength, and the minimum tensile strength of a grade 8 bolt is 150,000 psi

*Source www.portlandbolt.com

Check out the CHART

http://www.calfast.com/pdf/boltstrength.pdf

1/2" bolt..

Shear strength is typically 60% of tensile strength, and the minimum tensile strength of a grade 8 bolt is 150,000 psi

*Source www.portlandbolt.com

Check out the CHART

http://www.calfast.c...oltstrength.pdf

I'm glad to hear you're using 1/2", however, your math is off by a lot.

"Using a .250-inch diameter grade 8 fastener gives you the following shear capability:

A = Cross-sectional area of the fastener size (since bolt bodies/shanks have circular cross-sections, use area of a circle) = Pi x r2 where R (radius) = .250/2 = .125, therefore A = Pi x (.125)2 = .0491 square inches (in2)

Capability in shear
= 91,000 lbs / in2 x .0491 in2 =
4468 lbs

Using the same .250-inch diameter grade 5 fastener results in the following:

Capability in shear
= 75,000 lbs / in2 x .0491 in2 =
3683 lbs"

Labor and material cost have now been tabulated- the price of $160 will include shipping to the lower 48 states, and all paypal fees will be waved.. The FRPP tow hooks have been ordered and the first run of 15 Tow Hook Brackets designed for the Shelby GT will begin later this week-

To reserve a Tow Hook Kit send a $50 deposit along with your screen name and ship to address / PAYPAL account: gosho89@yahoo.com / PM me if you would like to send a check and I'll provide an address.

A deduction will be made for shipping if you elect to pick up your kit at the Grabber event (May 29th)

I will keep a running list on this thread for those that have sent deposits and/or paid in full-

FordFan SGT Tow Hook Kit will include the following:

1) FordFan hook loop bracket for Shelby GT or CS

Thank you-

"Using a .250-inch diameter grade 8 fastener gives you the following shear capability:

A = Cross-sectional area of the fastener size (since bolt bodies/shanks have circular cross-sections, use area of a circle) = Pi x r2 where R (radius) = .250/2 = .125, therefore A = Pi x (.125)2 = .0491 square inches (in2)

Capability in shear
4468 lbs

Capability in shear
3683 lbs"

Okay isn't a 1/2 " bolt diameter 0.5 inches not 0.25 inches which means the radius is .25 not .125 ? "The diameter of a circle is the length of the line through the center and touching two points on its edge."

"Given the diameter of a circle, the radius is simply half the diameter"

Holy Quantum physics Batman my head hurts !

so Pi times Radius Squared = 3.142 times .25 *.25 = .196 square inches

or I have missed something

Andrew

Capability in shear
4468 lbs

Capability in shear
3683 lbs"

I won't take credit for the math the source was listed on my post :)

Okay isn't a 1/2 " bolt diameter 0.5 inches not 0.25 inches which means the radius is .25 not .125 ? "The diameter of a circle is the length of the line through the center and touching two points on its edge."

"Given the diameter of a circle, the radius is simply half the diameter"

Holy Quantum physics Batman my head hurts !

so Pi times Radius Squared = 3.142 times .25 *.25 = .196 square inches

or I have missed something

Andrew

Yes sir, you're right. It should have been .500 to start with not .250, but you get the idear. doh.gif

I won't take credit for the math the source was listed on my post :)

Haha no sweat buddy - even with a single .500" grade 8 bolt, you're more than covered.

I look forward to installing your well thought out kit Kerry. See ya at Grabber's.

Labor and material cost have now been tabulated- the price of $160 will include shipping to the lower 48 states, and all paypal fees will be waved.. The FRPP tow hooks have been ordered and the first run of 15 Tow Hook Brackets designed for the Shelby GT will begin later this week-

To reserve a Tow Hook Kit send a $50 deposit along with your screen name and ship to address / PAYPAL account: gosho89@yahoo.com / PM me if you would like to send a check and I'll provide an address.

A deduction will be made for shipping if you elect to pick up your kit at the Grabber event (May 29th)

I will keep a running list on this thread for those that have sent deposits and/or paid in full-

FordFan SGT Tow Hook Kit will include the following:

1) FordFan hook loop bracket for Shelby GT or CS

Thank you-

Ordered and PayPal deposit sent, I hope I was the first one !!!!

Andrew

Archived