TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gauge Pod Help

Has anyone else had this problem?

I intalled the Shelby Gauge pod yesterday and when I installed the fuel bock for the fuel pressure gauge I had leaks from both the plug and sender. The directions clearly state 'do not use Teflon' but I had to in order to keep it from leaking. I was afraid if it tighten either any more that I was going break or strip something. I only used the Teflon tape on the last half of the threads so I shouldn't have issues with anything entering the fuel.

Also, I went ahead and intalled the boost gauge even though I don't have forced induction. Since I have never installed a boost gauge before I was surprised when I realized that it taps the vacum line coming off the OEM fuel pressure sender. My question ther is 'How does a SC/TC effect the vacum on this line so that boost can be measured?

One last question, what fuel pressure and oil pressure reading is normal? I know that the pressure will vary under load, but what a bad reading?

I intalled the Shelby Gauge pod yesterday and when I installed the fuel bock for the fuel pressure gauge I had leaks from both the plug and sender. The directions clearly state 'do not use Teflon' but I had to in order to keep it from leaking. I was afraid if it tighten either any more that I was going break or strip something. I only used the Teflon tape on the last half of the threads so I shouldn't have issues with anything entering the fuel.

Also, I went ahead and intalled the boost gauge even though I don't have forced induction. Since I have never installed a boost gauge before I was surprised when I realized that it taps the vacum line coming off the OEM fuel pressure sender. My question ther is 'How does a SC/TC effect the vacum on this line so that boost can be measured?

One last question, what fuel pressure and oil pressure reading is normal? I know that the pressure will vary under load, but what a bad reading?

My fuel pressure varies greatly depending on RPM. My oil pressure lives around 70#

Dan

What pressures are you seeing Jason?

As for Teflon, I had to do the same thing. It was spraying fuel like a garden hose without it. You just need to be very careful not to get tape on the inside of the sender or line and you'll be good to go.

Ken

Well I finished the install about 1am this morning so I cannot give you a averaged but it hovered around 40# at idle if I remember correctly. I'm just curious if there is a reading (other than zero) that I should stop and say, "That's odd, something must be wrong with the fuel pressure." I have the same question regarding the oil pressure. I didn't get to the oil pressure sender, it will have to wait until next weekend.

If the gauges are there to help me monitor the engines vitals then I probably should know how to read them. Otherwise all I can is point and say "Look! This one moves when I floor it! How cool!"

For the leak, go to your hardware store and get tape that is made specifically for gasoline applications. It cost a little bit more than the normal teflon tape. It works. :yup:

Thanks, I wondered how the teflon would react to the fuel and if there was something better for this kind of thing.

I used the sealing paste and only sparingly. The paste is a little safer but if you use the tape like you did it will be OK. The problem is that the original block was gold "alodine" and the blocks they are selling are black "anodize". The "anodize" flakes off inside the threads and prevents a good seal. The alodine is a thinner surface treatment and doesn't flake as much. I talked to Keith Criswell about this and he agreed.

Hopw this addresses your worries.

Archived