TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spent a little time with a 2011 GT Mustang yesterday.

Son of GT

Spent some time with a 2011 GT Mustang yesterday. Ford was kind enough to break one off of it's So Cal press tour so a handful of us So Cal Mustang nuts could take a look (drool on it) at it for a few hours. We didn't get to drive it, but we were able to hear the engine/exhaust.

Folks, this is one terrific car. Just another homerun for Ford. Not just the engine and transmission, but the whole car in general. Appearance wise, other than some minor tweaks to the interior trim, the car has not changed from the 2010 model in overall appearance.

The engine compartment looks terrific. Some here have criticized the engine/plenium cover, but the engine compartment would really look empty with out it on. I personally like what they did with the cover, and once you see the car in person, you will probably see how everything balances out visually.

Although the exhaust is quiet at idle, you can definately hear the 302 when the engine is reved up, and boy does it sound nice. Even though it's not the old pushrod 302, the engineers somehow managed to capture the old 302 exhaust pulses with the new engine.

There are three options for a rear spoiler. One, is no spoiler at all, two is a "mini-me" verision of the GT500 spoiler that looks fantastic on the car, and the third is a pedestal type spoiler that's similar looking to the 2005 Mustang GT spoiler that we are all familar with.

The mini GT500 spoiler has a rear view camera integrated into it, and I suspect that's the spoiler will come automatically if the electronic package is ordered with the car. Interestingly enough, there is no track pack option for the 2011 GT. The suspension that automatically comes with the GT Mustang is last year's track pack option. The only option in that area of the car is the Brenbo's, but IMO you would be foolish to order a GT without them.

I played with the EPAS a little, and while I did not feel what it is like on the road, at idle, spinning the wheel felt no different than hydraulic PS does. And ACCORDING TO THE FoMoCo PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT REP THAT WAS WITH THE CAR, EPAS SHAVES ABOUT 70 LBS OFF THE CAR. No H-fluid, no hoses, no pump and reservoir, no pulley, no belt, and the rack and pinion is lighter too.

They also brought out a 2011 V6 model too, and that's a great car in it's own right. The engine is tiny. When you lift the hood on the V6, you can still see plenty of ground past the engine block. The V6 has two optional packages. One is a sport package, and the other is a track pack. I'm not sure what the sport option consists of (stripes and trim maybe?), but the track pack and the Brenbo option turns the V6 suspension into the GT suspension. No joke, the V6 has the potental of being a really great track car. Super light (compaired to the V8), and plenty of room in the engine compartment to turbo or supercharge it.

I also understand that in the future, Ford Racing will be offering a CNC milled 5.0 aluminum block (crate?) that has/will be designed for force air induction like superchargers and turbos, but I don't have anymore information about that block.

post-4213-126963020943_thumb.jpg post-4213-126963028725_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126963020943_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126963028725_thumb.jpg

Here's the V6 engine compartment...

post-4213-126963042212_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126963042212_thumb.jpg

Other side of the V6...

post-4213-126963051085_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126963051085_thumb.jpg

The wheel and Brembo set up...

post-4213-126971655855_thumb.jpg

It's funny how the internet has changed little things in our lives. Do you see that Pirelli has their website embossed on the sidewall? hysterical.gif

The classic 5.0 badge. "GT" only appears on the faux gas cap.

post-4213-1269716618_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126971655855_thumb.jpg

post-4213-1269716618_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this Enis. I was just way to busy to go with you guys. Ok, I love the new look of the V8, but did not like the V6 engine compartment at all. It looks way to cluttered for my taste, and the intake looks.... well... bad. But, then again the extra ponies could change my mind quickly. And a track pack! That sounds so intriguing! :happy feet: Again, sorry I didn't make the trip, but I know you, Tom, Jason and the rest had fun.

Archived