TEAM SHELBY FORUM

plane hits jogger

This is very sad... The victim had a wife and two kids... A girl 3 years old and A boy 5 years old... I would like you to open the link and read what happened.. tell me what you think about it... This is what I think about it. God bless this family for this great loss...they will be in my prayers..

From the picture the plane has no prop, wheels are up and it is a low winger. I beleive this pilot should of landed off shore..he had oil on his windshield he could not see that well... why would he want to land on a beach where more than likely there are people on the beach... This is just my opinon... I also beleive that he is at fault for killing this person... becuase he landed on the beach and he new there where people on the beach and he could not see out that well because of the oil on the windsheild... why did he not land in the water.. I think because he did not want to land in the water because he was affraid it would mess up his plane more. I beleive she should sue this pilot for Negligent Homicide.... he should of NEVER landed on that beach period... he did because he did not want to mess up his plane no more than he had to... sorry but I would not of landed that palne on a beach when there was water right there....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35911154/ns/us_news-life?GT1=43001

This is very sad... The victim had a wife and two kids... A girl 3 years old and A boy 5 years old... I would like you to open the link and read what happened.. tell me what you think about it... This is what I think about it. God bless this family for this great loss...they will be in my prayers..

From the picture the plane has no prop, wheels are up and it is a low winger. I beleive this pilot should of landed off shore..he had oil on his windshield he could not see that well... why would he want to land on a beach where more than likely there are people on the beach... This is just my opinon... I also beleive that he is at fault for killing this person... becuase he landed on the beach and he new there where people on the beach and he could not see out that well because of the oil on the windsheild... why did he not land in the water.. I think because he did not want to land in the water because he was affraid it would mess up his plane more. I beleive she should sue this pilot for Negligent Homicide.... he should of NEVER landed on that beach period... he did because he did not want to mess up his plane no more than he had to... sorry but I would not of landed that palne on a beach when there was water right there....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35911154/ns/us_news-life?GT1=43001

+1

I know this will sound funny, BUT, I think they should be made to put loud Horns on Planes just for this reason. I have been noticing quit a few Small Planes haveing to make landings in playgrounds and on Roads and on Interstates. I don't Fly, and I really refuse to fly in a Small Plane.

ALSO........This is just ONE MORE reason why I do not use Earphones (or Earbuds).

ALSO.........thinking about it.........while he was landing the Plane on the Beach, with People all around, WHY didn't anyone try to get the Joggers attention to warn him? PLUS, how could the Jogger NOT notice People around him getting the heck out of the way or standing there looking UP? Have you ever walked down the Side Walk in Town and see someone looking up and NOT look up to see what he/she was looking at?

ALSO........This is just ONE MORE reason why I do not use Earphones (or Earbuds).

ALSO.........thinking about it.........while he was landing the Plane on the Beach, with People all around, WHY didn't anyone try to get the Joggers attention to warn him? PLUS, how could the Jogger NOT notice People around him getting the heck out of the way or standing there looking UP? Have you ever walked down the Side Walk in Town and see someone looking up and NOT look up to see what he/she was looking at?

From the news story, there is no indication of whether or not anyone else was on the beach at the time of the crash landing.

My sincerest condolances to the victim and the victim's family for this accident and their loss, but....

This incident is further proof that excerise will kill you. redcard.gif

This is very unfortunate for both families. The pilot will never live the same life and the family of Gentleman that passed will never live the same lives.

My understanding is engine in the aircraft was dead, if this is a fact I can almost guarantee you would not have heard the aircraft approaching even without headphones. When the motor isn’t running an aircraft makes no more sound then a bicycle.

I once pursued a private pilot’s license. When taking lesson you’re instructed over and over on how to handle a dead aircraft, and finding the nearest clear spot to land is job two after securing the aircraft (kill the fuel, etc.). Small aircrafts approach anywhere between 60 – 100mph depending on the aircrafts glide ratio (max forward distance vs. minimum altitude loss). When this occurs you can imagine you are juggling a lot, the least of which is trying not to soil your shorts. I doubt the pilot was all that concerned with saving his aircraft vs. his life and I’m sure never saw the Gentleman running.

Pilots in the U.S. are not typically prosecuted as it is assumed that doing so will hinder the FAA investigation as a pilot may be less the willing to provide an honest account of what happened.

Does this mean the pilot was not negligent? No, and the FAA will determine if this is case. If the pilot or the owner of the aircraft is found negligent there will be consequences, and the family of the Gentleman who passed will have one heck of a civil case.

Bottom line, this is a very sad event and all of our prayers should be for all affected by it.

http://www.msnbc.msn...-life?GT1=43001

As an owner of an aircraft I will give my insight on this.

He had to do an emergency landing when do an emgergency landing you look for flat smooth places that would replicate a runway. A beach is a perfect place so the pilot made the right choice. Unfortunetely there are people on a beach but one would think someone would have alerted the Jogger of what was about to happen. But things happen so fast that there might not have been enough time. I do not feel the Pilot was at error and certainly the last thing on his mind is to save his aircraft, it is to save his and his passengers life. All aircrafts are required to have insurance so the damage to his plane is covered so I am sure he could careless about the damage and the Joggers family will sue his insurance company so they will get compesated but not enough to replace his life. And since the jogger was on a business trip I would assume that his employer Glaxosmith will compensate the family as well.

This story is very horrible and I feel very sorry for all involved

This is called an accident and they happen everyday the pilot did not run down the jogger on purpose.

As an owner of an aircraft I will give my insight on this.

He had to do an emergency landing when do an emgergency landing you look for flat smooth places that would replicate a runway. A beach is a perfect place so the pilot made the right choice. Unfortunetely there are people on a beach but one would think someone would have alerted the Jogger of what was about to happen. But things happen so fast that there might not have been enough time. I do not feel the Pilot was at error and certainly the last thing on his mind is to save his aircraft, it is to save his and his passengers life. All aircrafts are required to have insurance so the damage to his plane is covered so I am sure he could careless about the damage and the Joggers family will sue his insurance company so they will get compesated but not enough to replace his life. And since the jogger was on a business trip I would assume that his employer Glaxosmith will compensate the family as well.

This story is very horrible and I feel very sorry for all involved

This is called an accident and they happen everyday the pilot did not run down the jogger on purpose.

thanks for your insight. :salute:

OK... SORRY but i disagree.... The jogger was listening to his Ipod... The people on the beach or any where else do not look up inless they hear something.... this plane was like a arrow being shot NO noise going very very very fast...NO prop... oil on his windsheild.... it was a very bad decision to make to land his out of control plane on that beach.... when NO one had any warning that he was coming in... you do NOT land a plane that is doing 100 mph on a beach... that is insane.....I guess when you are thinking about your self and not about the safty of others this is what happens... and this is what heros are made of...thank God Chesley Sullenberger, known as "Sully," the pilot of the US Airways plane that crashed into the Hudson River was thinking out side the box....and NOT going by what his manual said.... there is a diffrence between these two pilots ...one was not thinking about others while the other pilot was thinking about others on the ground and made the right choice and landed on the water...... there is a choice here...going by what the manula says.... Or doing what is right.. If this pilot would of done the right thing this tragedy would of never happened... This pilot should be charged with NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE...

First, I am very sorry that the accident killed the jogger. His family has my sympathy.

Second, I think it is foolish to draw conclusions about this accident now. It will be thoroughly investigated and a report will be issued.

Third, I haven't heard or read how many people were on the beach. It is possible that the beach was a perfect emergncy landing spot. For example, the picture below is of a beach on Hilton Head (the place where the accident occured). It looks like an ideal emergency landing spot.

post-5147-12690260919_thumb.jpg

post-5147-12690260919_thumb.jpg

I'm not saying the pilot didn't have any other options as to where he set the aircraft down, but considering the miles and miles of beach on the NC coast and depending on the time of day this occured its possible the beach had very few people on or near it when this occured. My guess is the pilot never saw the jogger or anyone else for that matter as he approach and did his best to determine if it was clear and made what he thought was the best decision given the facts and the limited time he had. Not having been there at the time it's all speculation. The only possible negligence that I can see is if he piloted the aircraft knowing that it may have a mechanical issue, or did not maintain the appropriate maintenance intervals. Again, the FAA will determine this.

Investigations into aircraft accidents are not designed to identify who is at fault. Their purpose to is mitigate the possibility of it happening again.

My opinion, this is a very tragic and a likely freak accident. Could it have been avoided? Sure, anything is possible.

Talk about being in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

OK... SORRY but i disagree.... The jogger was listening to his Ipod... The people on the beach or any where else do not look up inless they hear something.... this plane was like a arrow being shot NO noise going very very very fast...NO prop... oil on his windsheild.... it was a very bad decision to make to land his out of control plane on that beach.... when NO one had any warning that he was coming in... you do NOT land a plane that is doing 100 mph on a beach... that is insane.....I guess when you are thinking about your self and not about the safty of others this is what happens... and this is what heros are made of...thank God Chesley Sullenberger, known as "Sully," the pilot of the US Airways plane that crashed into the Hudson River was thinking out side the box....and NOT going by what his manual said.... there is a diffrence between these two pilots ...one was not thinking about others while the other pilot was thinking about others on the ground and made the right choice and landed on the water...... there is a choice here...going by what the manula says.... Or doing what is right.. If this pilot would of done the right thing this tragedy would of never happened... This pilot should be charged with NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE...

Sully put it in the river because that was his only option when his incident occured.

I am just saying having a dead stick at 10,000 ft he had time to ditch the plan off shore... the prop came off and the wheels where up why not land off shore. If he could not see out that well he did not know how many kids or adults where on the beach at that time. Sure it is nice and level where he landed but he killed some one. Sully looked around and then said where going in the river. the first bird strike sully was then looking for a place and even called in...Sully did the right thing by crash landing in the river. saved his crew and the passengers.. he never thought about doing the other options because it would of killed him and his crew and all the passengers. The manual might say to make a emergency landing on level ground BUT then again you have to use your head and do the right thing...I have said before you do NOT make a emergency landing coming in at over 100mph on a beach when you can not see who or what is on that beach.Do you think if he was able to see do you think he would of still landed on that beach?

If he couldn't see out of the windshield and he had very little control over this dead plane from 10K feet, how do you know that he wasn't aiming for the water?

This is all speculation and pointless at that. It's a tragedy and an accident, as far as anyone knows. Until the FAA says otherwise, I'd simply say a prayer for all involved and hope that maintenance neglect didn't play a role. Every one of these people involved will be haunted for the rest of their lives, no doubt.

If he couldn't see out of the windshield and he had very little control over this dead plane from 10K feet, how do you know that he wasn't aiming for the water?

This is all speculation and pointless at that. It's a tragedy and an accident, as far as anyone knows. Until the FAA says otherwise, I'd simply say a prayer for all involved and hope that maintenance neglect didn't play a role. Every one of these people involved will be haunted for the rest of their lives, no doubt.

+1 Very sad indeed for both parties.

Very well said....I never thought of that... he could have been... we will just have to wait for the FAA report. Keep all involved in your prayers.

If the FAA deterime that his engine was not installed or maintained correctly then yes the Pilot was severely negligent. Since it was a home built experimental aircraft he very well could have screwed up something in building it which would have a direct result for his emergency landing.

This story is an example of how "Today is a Gift and Tomorrow is never promised."

Archived