TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track day damage

Here's an update from a track day at Laguna Seca.

The first five laps of the first session was awesome. Amazing grip and speed compared to the Pirellis that come with the 40th's.

It was great right up to the point that this happened...

DSC01514_3.jpg

DSC01512_2.jpg

Which resulted in a very short track day and a ride home.

DSC01518_2.jpg

I took a little too much speed into the "Corkscrew" and had to drive it off track. When I came back on, the edge of the track it did it's damage. The only damage was to the front left wheel and the splitter.

All in all a lot better than this guy. He flipped his BMW later in the day. Driver and coach were ok although the driver was taken to and released from the hospital.

Beemeronroof.jpg

Oh man that hurts, but once the splitter and wheel are replaced your back to perfect.

I bet the driver and coach in the BMW are feeling it. Thank goodness everyone's okay at the end of the day.

Andy....I know the quickest way thru a corner is in a straight line....but it is the corkscrew....and impersonating Alex Zanardi in your 40th is not adviseable...

or as also commonly referred when you've "gone off", a little agricultural driving, which I've done twice a Laguna, never the corkscrew though...

at least just the splitter (albeit cf) and a rim...get it back togther for the Lake San Antonio cruise!

Tom

It sure sounds like fun to track these cars, but I don't think my wallet would go for it... There's no insurance that covers racing, right?

No, in fact it could cost you your insurance if they learned the truth, or so I've been told. At the very least drive up you premiums. Most of us will not spend enough time on a track to really push the limits of what our Shelby's are capable of, even bone stock. Having said that it doesn't take much to drop a tire and find yourself in the same spot as Torch40 (which happens to the best of drivers as I'm sure Torch40 is). With a smart instructor and a safe driving school you should have very little to worry about as a novice on a track. As your on track driving skills progress and you solo on the track is when things can become a little more harry as you never know the skill of the other drivers unless you personally familiar with those drivers. Most tracks/schools have very strict rules and guidelines to will help keep you and your car safe and will quickly identify a remove any driver/car that is unsafe. In my opinion a good rule of thumb is to drive at the level of the weakest driver on the track, but that's difficult to do. That way the weakest driver isn't tempted to push their car beyond their driving skill by attempting to match yours. Again very difficult to do.

I would highly recomend taking a driving course at least once just so you can fully appriceate your Shelby and pick up on a few tips that will make you safer on the street. But I do caution that driving on a track is very addictive!

I share your pain my friend.... had an off-track excursion during last year's 45th Anniversary at Barber's in Birmingham...

It only hurts for a little while (money for the repairs and time spent not driving), then your car is back to new and you can enjoy it once again!

Keith

All in all a lot better than this guy. He flipped his BMW later in the day. Driver and coach were ok although the driver was taken to and released from the hospital.

Beemeronroof.jpg

It was a tough weekend for BMWs. There were 4 of the crowd with moderate to severe damage (all drivers were ok) at Texas World Speedway over the weekend. The Ford crowd did ok, but there were moments that we could have been "sharing your pain" if a little luck hadn't prevailed.

My off track is on youtube! I have to say that there is nothing like taking these cars on the track; it's what they're designed to do. I have an extra front spoiler and a set of track tires/wheels so the 40th stays as it should. Good luck on the repairs and get back to the track; there's nothing like it.

Jon

The best drivers in the best conditions in the most well equipped cars WILL wreck their car at some point, given enough laps over any period of time. It happens to the best of us (and far more often to the worst of us!). Glad you're ok Andy. Get her fixed up and back out there asap.

Ken

My off track is on youtube! I have to say that there is nothing like taking these cars on the track; it's what they're designed to do. I have an extra front spoiler and a set of track tires/wheels so the 40th stays as it should. Good luck on the repairs and get back to the track; there's nothing like it.

Jon

What's the youtube link?

It sure sounds like fun to track these cars, but I don't think my wallet would go for it... There's no insurance that covers racing, right?

Yes there is and the subject came up not surprisingly after my mishap. One guy said for one day it was like $250. with a $5,000 deductible. That type of insurance is designed for major damage. Nothing official, just what "one guy" had to say.

By the way, the wheel is being repaired and should be ready to go next week. I'm going to put the stock splitter back on for now and probably order a new carbon fiber splitter.

Yes there is and the subject came up not surprisingly after my mishap. One guy said for one day it was like $250. with a $5,000 deductible. That type of insurance is designed for major damage. Nothing official, just what "one guy" had to say.

By the way, the wheel is being repaired and should be ready to go next week. I'm going to put the stock splitter back on for now and probably order a new carbon fiber splitter.

sorry to hear of your mishap, glad everyone is ok and that the damage in minimal.

And I agree 100%.......everyone should go to a Drivers Instruction event at a major track,

take the classes, drive sessions with an instructor.......it is not only an amazingly fun experience, but you will come away a better driver. IMO.

My 18 year old son and I drove Thunderbolt at NJMP last summer...he is his 96 mustang V6, me in my Shelby.

Going to Pocono Raceway on July 9th! :happy feet:

You can now buy insurance for the track.. If you have state farn insurance they will cover for driving school events, I also herd Allastate has some policys. I will be in Sebring STVOA meet in May. I too hope to have no issues with two days on coarse.

Here's an update from a track day at Laguna Seca.

The first five laps of the first session was awesome. Amazing grip and speed compared to the Pirellis that come with the 40th's.

It was great right up to the point that this happened...

DSC01514_3.jpg

DSC01512_2.jpg

Which resulted in a very short track day and a ride home.

DSC01518_2.jpg

I took a little too much speed into the "Corkscrew" and had to drive it off track. When I came back on, the edge of the track it did it's damage. The only damage was to the front left wheel and the splitter.

Andy, so sorry to see this. One of the reasons why I think I will just stay with the track at the Bash rather than Seca (eventhough I only live 20 mins away). Glad you werent hurt and it was "minimal". Hope to see you at San Antonio if you can get it fixed in time. P.S. I would sill like to ride with you at Seca sometime!!

Beemeronroof.jpg

You can now buy insurance for the track.. If you have state farn insurance they will cover for driving school events, I also herd Allastate has some policys. I will be in Sebring STVOA meet in May. I too hope to have no issues with two days on coarse.

Here is the track insurance you can purchase for the Track Guys Sebring event. There are a number of groups that add this link via motorsportreg.com

https://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Coverage.aspx?pID=2058 It’s $266 for a $40k value.

I would absolutely not trust State Farm to cover a car at an event. If that is what the agent told you, get it in writing and make certain he has verified further up the food chain that they will pay an on track claim.

Here is the track insurance you can purchase for the Track Guys Sebring event. There are a number of groups that add this link via motorsportreg.com

https://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Coverage.aspx?pID=2058 It’s $266 for a $40k value.

I would absolutely not trust State Farm to cover a car at an event. If that is what the agent told you, get it in writing and make certain he has verified further up the food chain that they will pay an on track claim.

[

color="#0000FF]I know the agent, also ran into a guy that also tracked his car and totaled it and got payed out from them, than bought the car back and took all his mods off and sold them. I gave up a nice Grundy policy, for now.[/color]

Couldn`t help notice the how your car was secured on the truck by passing the straps through the wheels which results in scuff marks. Whats wrong with strapping it down at the rear axle.

Yeah, i saw that when he was doing it. These are track wheels and tires only so it's not a huge deal but I know what your saying. In this case it did not result in any marks so I came out OK.

Wow, I guess I was talking to the wrong people. I was always afraid to ask Statefarm out of, well fear. Good to know.

Okay, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTgDqElUr1Uis.

It was in April, the temperature was 56 degree's and I was trying a new set of Nitto Extreme 55's for the fronts. They just slid during the turn and I had to just ride it out.

Here is another video later in the year:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/92-mustang-50-and-a-shelby-gt500-on-road-course_707975.htm

This guy in the '92 is an excellent SCCA driver and has given some great advice. I have upgraded to track tires, and I am adding adjustable camber plates to get negative camber for the track.

Jon

Okay, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTgDqElUr1Uis.

It was in April, the temperature was 56 degree's and I was trying a new set of Nitto Extreme 55's for the fronts. They just slid during the turn and I had to just ride it out.

Here is another video later in the year:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/92-mustang-50-and-a-shelby-gt500-on-road-course_707975.htm

This guy in the '92 is an excellent SCCA driver and has given some great advice. I have upgraded to track tires, and I am adding adjustable camber plates to get negative camber for the track.

Jon

The youtube link is not working for me. What's your user name on youtube? I can look it up that way if you publish publicly.

:shift: YOU GUYS KEEP SMASHING THEM UP AND WRITING THEM .AND KEEP THE CHANCES OF MY VALUE RISING OVER THE YEARS :dance:

I'll do my best :happy feet:

I did think about how the value would be affected. I looked at the older Shelbys. Other than a pure garage queen, there doesn't seem to be any difference in value. In some cases if the car has a good enough track history the values seem to be higher.

Either way I'm getting the max enjoyment out of my car. It's worth it for me. These cars are meant to be driven. :peelout:

:shift: YOU GUYS KEEP SMASHING THEM UP AND WRITING THEM .AND KEEP THE CHANCES OF MY VALUE RISING OVER THE YEARS :dance:

What the hell is that all about? Maybe I'm taking it wrong but that seems like a real d$%khead comment to me?

Keep the flame in the torch, Torch40. You're doing what the man, Mr. Shelby, intended you to do when he built these cars. Much more fun being a player than a spectator.

I'll do my best happy feet.gif

I did think about how the value would be affected. I looked at the older Shelbys. Other than a pure garage queen, there doesn't seem to be any difference in value. In some cases if the car has a good enough track history the values seem to be higher.

Either way I'm getting the max enjoyment out of my car. It's worth it for me. These cars are meant to be driven.

peelout.gif

rockon.gif

Well put my Shelby brother.

Archived