TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

Well tomorrow day I make my final flight on an Air Force aircraft. Going to be a 4.0 hour local proficiency and air refueling trainer on a Boeing C-17 Globemaster III . After 35 1/2 years and 10,215 flight hours I'll be finishing up with a traditional hose down upon landing scheduled for 1500 at Charleston Air Force Base. Then tomorrow night I'll be throwing out the first pitch for the Charleston Riverdogs Professional baseball team as part of Military Appreciation Night. I hoping I can muster up a 50 mph fastball or at least not bounce it to the plate. (LOL)

One more week of office work to wrap this up and then it off to Carlisle for a few days. When I return it'll be a week of Terminal leave and then on to the next chapter .... whatever that may bring. Retirement will be tough after all this excitement.... I can't wait. B)

:salute:

Hi Bill. Congratulations on a wonderful career of serving our country! I would suggest a knuckle ball....that will blow the catchers mind..lol I am going to Carlisle too. Hope to see you there. Craig

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I did my military fini-flight and then threw out the first pitch at the Charleston Riverdogs ballgame. It was low and inside but not in the dirt or wild. Looks like that second career in professional baseball might not happen after all (LOL) but what a great time I had in doing both. The post-mission ride home in my Shelby kind of topped it all off. Especially knowing that it's one of those great fun things I can continue to do. :salute:

Okay Guys, I'm done --- stick a fork in me. Now, who's next in this retirement game? B)

A link to a few pic's taken today and, yes .. I did a little practice pitching in flight prior to the game (LOL). http://www.facebook....=1&l=519ee397c5

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I did my military fini-flight and then threw out the first pitch at the Charleston Riverdogs ballgame. It was low and inside but not in the dirt or wild. Looks like that second career in professional baseball might not happen after all (LOL) but what a great time I had in doing both. The post-mission ride home in my Shelby kind of topped it all off. Especially knowing that it's one of those great fun things I can continue to do. :salute:

Okay Guys, I'm done --- stick a fork in me. Now, who's next in this retirement game? B)

A link to a few pic's taken today and, yes .. I did a little practice pitching in flight prior to the game (LOL). http://www.facebook....=1&l=519ee397c5

a big Congrats for crossing the workers finish line Bill................and a even bigger Thank You for all your servise to our country. :salute:

Wow. I just looked at all the photos and read the story line behind each one of them. How cool ! Wow what a great last day. Those guys and gals that you work with sure seem cool. Looks like you have been blessed with many friendships. It seems like the hardest part is going to be losing those day to day contacts with some of those guys.

Thanks for posting the pic's/ I just sent you a facebook request. B)

Today is the first Saturday for the rest of my life .... in retirement. I'm told from here on out, everyday will feel like this, that a scary thought but I'll give it a shot.

My final day in uniform yesterday was surreal. Everything I did, I did thinking it would be the last time. It was a "down day" for most of the Air Force base as Monday is Memorial Day and they were giving many people an extra day to enjoy a long weekend. I actually hung around a little longer than I normally would have to catch my final Retreat. For those of you who have never been in the military, that's the signal for the close of the military work day and a flag-lowering ceremony. It's usually a time when guys out in the open held for cover too (LOL). However I waited around one final time. I stood proudly in the parking next to my car waiting to hear the bugle one last time. I was the only one there but stood proudly and saluted one last time ... and yes, I was a little teary eyed at the end. Now on to other adventures. :salute:

my final salute.jpg

my final salute.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but 2 months ago on my 49th Birthday I couldn't help but start the 5 year countdown in the back of my mind.

My goal to hit this date is on track and currently solid. I just hope the economy allows me to work at least 1000 hours a year so my pension can be activated. I'm looking forward to my 54th Birthday more than any other birthday. cool.gif

58 working months left.

http://www.timeandda...in=&sec=&p0=234

My 5 year countdown is now exactly 2 years and 6 months away before my retirement could be pulled.

30 months. So 1/2 of my 5 year countdown is history. When I look back...it did go pretty fast. I sure hope the construction industry in the High Tech market keeps booming. In Nov. the current project I am working on will be finished. Our company is going after the next big one right now and we will know by the end of July if we get it. I have been told we have a great chance on getting it. Same client and same plant.

My 5 year countdown is now exactly 2 years and 6 months away before my retirement could be pulled.

30 months. So 1/2 of my 5 year countdown is history. When I look back...it did go pretty fast. I sure hope the construction industry in the High Tech market keeps booming. In Nov. the current project I am working on will be finished. Our company is going after the next big one right now and we will know by the end of July if we get it. I have been told we have a great chance on getting it. Same client and same plant.

Good luck and when I think back 5 years ago (when I originally thought I'd have to retire) it seems like only yesterday. Man does it go fast. I've been retired a month now and still trying to get some things together like V.A. visits, medical appointments, and such plus a looog list of home projects I need to get done. I may end up going back to work in another month or so with a start up company I've been an unpaid consultant with for few years. Time does fly, I miss my troops I worked with and still socialize with a few of them. While it's nice to see and talk with them, I don't miss all the work related issues they're still dealing with and I'm not anymore. B)

Hubby and I just read your recent posts. Pictures were absolutely awesome! We hope your well earned retirement is everything you want it to be. God bless and heartfelt thanks for your service.

Hubby and I just read your recent posts. Pictures were absolutely awesome! We hope your well earned retirement is everything you want it to be. God bless and heartfelt thanks for your service.

Thank you for the kind words. I've always had a lot of admiration for people who farmed. You feed the world and never receive enough credit for the service you provide. I spent my summers as a youngster working on my Grandmother's farm back in the late 50's early 60's and it was hard work from sunup to sunset and sometimes before and after that. Back then tobacco was the big money crop in the South and I spent many a day picking and stacking it a heated barn to cure. Corn, peas, beans, and watermelon were the lesser crops she grew and we took to market. Some of my fondest memories from back then were busting watermelon, eating the heart out, and throwing the rest into the hog pens to fatten them up for market also. Good times.

Most of us are fortune to have a career we can retire from, I'm not sure that most farmers can do that. It's usually a lifetime of dedication. Thank you for the service you provide to the world. :wub2:

Oh my God, I don't know what to say to your comments. We are totally awestruck and humbled to say the least. We have lived in South Dakota and have farmed for 45 years-seen the good years and bad and we are fortunate to be where we are and do what we do. Our house is open to any and all of you if you come this way. We'll grill a prime black angus steak! There are such good people on these forums I am blown away by the caring that I see here.

If anyone comes to the Black Hills or this area be sure and let us know. We have a house there you would be welcome to use but our farm/ranch is 140 north of Rapid City. Used to travel by the missile sites all the time as we are close to Ellsworth AFB until they took them out-not sure if that was a good idea.

We are hoping to get to the bash in Vegas and also to Ponies on the Plains and really looking forward to meeting people.

Again, thank you so much for the kindness.

Just found this thread.

First of all, congrats to bill on your retirement.

Grabber keep counting, your day will come.

As for mine, I'm less than 2 years away. 4-4-14 is the earliest I can call it finished. I'll have 20 years in at my fire department, plus 2 years of military time I was able to buy back will give me 55% of my base pay. Each year I stay after that will add 2.5% up to a maximum of 75%.

Not real sure when I'll actually retire. I just tell everyone 20 yrs and 1 bad day :D

If I leave in 2014 I'll only be 51. Not a bad age to retire ;)

My wife retired last December after 30 years with the FAA as an air traffic controller. She's more happy and stress free than she's been in years.

Like you said grabber, we have a few debts to pay off(kids college) and we will be sitting pretty good.

Congrats to the retirees and to those short timers, it will come! I could have retired 5 years ago, instead I start my 31st year today. While retiring would be wonderful, I am enjoying my work these days so it is no so bad. I tell people I can't retire because my wife did, somebody has to pay the bills!!

Bill,

Congrats on what must have been an exceptional career!

Thanks for sharing all the pictures on your last flight in uniform

It must have been difficult after all those years & flight hours to walk away for the last time

You've likely heard it a lot but Thank You for your service, which is certainly nice to hear

(especially compared to 39 years ago...)

Best of luck & fortune in your future!

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Safety in silicon fabs is a big deal. I recall an instance of a person going in to the area in a sealed suit into a fab on breathing gear (since it's a nitrogen rich atmosphere in the automated area). Unfortunately, someone connected nitrogen to the lines instead of oxygen. He died before they could do anything. There was a big OSHA investigation since this kind of thing was supposed to be impossible. They are awesome places to see but as with any "chemical plant" can be very dangerous.

Take Care!

• 2 months later...