TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

• 2 weeks later...

The feeling one gets in semi-retirement is one that I will try to explain. Please note I am only 45 days into it so it is all so fresh and evolving.

This is what I am experiencing:

1. The pressure is off.

2. The deliverables are not due.

3. The stress created by issues at work are gone.

4. Working 5 days a month makes work seem like a fun outing.

5. My wife told me she has noticed a big change in me at home.

6. I feel mellow and kicked back and easy going and reflect that from what people are telling me.

7. Taking time for the little pleasures are now precious and not taken for granted.

8. I often tell my wife "I'm having a great day". She is not used to hearing stuff like that from me.

These are just a few of my thoughts 45 days into this new life of mine.

Thank you Lord :worship:

I'm a little late but it sounds so good. I'm still working just to do it, I'm a bit apprehensive to actually say I'm retiring, I've always worked and worked hard. I also really don't know that magic number plus SS? I mean how much do 2 people need? That's the question?

Edited: TMI :)

Edited by SWEDEMAN

Tomorrow will be 3 months since my last day of full time employment.

I like Semi-Retirement.

Sept. is now over for me. Worked 52 hours over 12 days. August was 68 hours during 12 days.

From here on out I am sticking to 40 hours a month so I do not exceed 480 hours by July 1st. (Union Rule for double dipping)

I am working 4 full days and 2 half days in October and every month from here on out.

That's what I now have planned out.
reading.gif

Nice Rob, I teach at our local junior college firefighter academy. Its a way to give back to a great career and help our new generation of first responders. Don't have to worry about working to many hours either.

Edited by H0050

Nice Rob, I teach at our local junior college firefighter academy. Its a way to give back to a great career and help our new generation of first responders. Don't have to worry about working to many hours either.

Sounds like things are really good for you too. Nice to hear your giving back. :)

For me, I don't build buildings anymore. I build people! It's very satisfying.

• 1 year later...

Well just to bring an old topic to the front I will say tomorrow is my last day at work, My retirement starts April 1st.... Bittersweet day for me, I have worked since I was 15 years old (that's 47 years) always had an income, now I will have to re-figure everything. Oh well time to put mileage on Shelly..... SEAT TIME :shift:

Edited by Doug_GT350

2 hours ago, Doug_GT350 said:

Well just to bring an old topic to the front I will say tomorrow is my last day at work, My retirement starts April 1st.... Bittersweet day for me, I have worked since I was 15 years old (that's 47 years) always had an income, now I will have to re-figure everything. Oh well time to put mileage on Shelly..... SEAT TIME :shift:

Congrat`s Dougie & well deserved enjoy. 

• 3 weeks later...

From one retiree to another retiree:  Relax and enjoy what life has to offer and forget the past daily grind!  :yahoo:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

1 hour ago, Doug_GT350 said:

Thanks guys. The official date of my retirement was April 1st, on April 75th I got a call asking if I would come back as a contractor for a couple days a week.... :drop:

Hey its worth trying you can always politely tell them it s not working. Looked on my calendar but i couldn`t find the 75th  is it a Tuesday or Wednesday?  

On 4/16/2018 at 9:52 AM, shelby001 said:

Hey its worth trying you can always politely tell them it s not working. Looked on my calendar but i couldn`t find the 75th  is it a Tuesday or Wednesday?  

Freakin spell check on the not so smartphone! Should have read the 7th! :drop:

This retirement post has certainly flew by. Congrats to all who made it. The only thing I regret in retirement is it still rains on my outings. Planning a retirement Starts early in life. Not sure how young people today can save enough today without a pension plan. It took two pensions + SS to create a cash flow for us. We use the excess cash flow for travel and cars and sell a little on ebay as a hobby. Have been retired for 12 years now. We don’t touch our investments just in case. Maybe I’ll read this post in another 7 years and see what’s up. You young people out there be frugal and don’t live beyond your means. See ya all in 2025.... Don’t blink. 

7 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

This retirement post has certainly flew by. Congrats to all who made it. The only thing I regret in retirement is it still rains on my outings. Planning a retirement Starts early in life. Not sure how young people today can save enough today without a pension plan. It took two pensions + SS to create a cash flow for us. We use the excess cash flow for travel and cars and sell a little on ebay as a hobby. Have been retired for 12 years now. We don’t touch our investments just in case. Maybe I’ll read this post in another 7 years and see what’s up. You young people out there be frugal and don’t live beyond your means. See ya all in 2025.... Don’t blink. 

That was a excellent  message for our young people to" be frugal and don't live beyond your means"!  As my kids were growing I always told them that money doesn't make you happy, it just makes you more comfortable, and that the bum on the street could be happier than you!  :)   And then, there is also another saying that you should enjoy life , and that you can't take it with you!   If you don't spend it and enjoy it some-one else will!  Or, worse case that your (Uncle Sam) gets it!:drop:   My congrats also to all the Retirees!:)

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

Retired now for a number of years.  Wife and I saved and kept the savings plans in place.  Those who say money cannot buy you happiness have never saved, purchased and regularly driven a Shelby vehicle!  I made that a bucket list item to enjoy while the DMV said it was okay as the years and my body progressed and my legs allowed the clutch pedal to play rocking horse with the gas pedal. 

6 minutes ago, 66GT350PS said:

Retired now for a number of years.  Wife and I saved and kept the savings plans in place.  Those who say money cannot buy you happiness have never saved, purchased and regularly driven a Shelby vehicle!  I made that a bucket list item to enjoy while the DMV said it was okay as the years and my body progressed and my legs allowed the clutch pedal to play rocking horse with the gas pedal. 

I totally understand where your coming from in saying as the years went by and your body progressed and your legs allowed the clutch pedal to play rocking horse with the gas pedal. I personally have driven sticks, by choice most of my adult life, and many of my cars had a heavy duty racing clutch in them!  I also wonder sometimes how long before I can't drive my cars and also my truck that has a clutch!  And I have been lucky enough to have owned and driven many high performance vehicles with a clutch in my lifetime, so there really isn't much on my bucket list!   What I meant by saying money doesn't make you happy, it just makes you comfortable is actually true in alot of cases, but of course there is always exceptions!   A fair amount of people in this world, like some famous actors, singers,gamblers, big lottery winners and others  have a miserable life ,  and they can have all the money in the world and it wouldn't really matter!  Actually in some cases the money can cause the trouble. It's nice to have money, but you first have to learn how to handle it!  Hope you all have a great day and a awesome tomorrow!   :)

Later! 

The only real scary thing about retirement anymore, is healthcare. 

The wife is just about to join me in it, and frankly after her COBRA runs out, the fun begins. I need to start searching for good healthcare. I’m not looking forward to it. 

:fear:

14 minutes ago, BIKEBOY said:

The wife is just about to join me in it, and frankly after her COBRA runs out, the fun begins. I need to start searching for good healthcare. I’m not looking forward to it. 

Obamacare is your only choice, although with the penalty gone companies are rolling out some more affordable alternatives but with high deductibles and copays. If you don't use medical services frequently (ie, are a young whipper snapper :) ) it might work for you.  COBRA is VERY expensive (at least it was for us).  We managed on two years of Obamacare until our Medicare kicked in and then each of us got the Medicare Advantage plans.  Just like the Obamacare policies deductibles and copays for the same Med Adv plan went up from 2017 to 2018. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

20 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

The insurance companies have ruined healthcare.  If you have insurance, you're lucky if you can get healthcare.  Best way right now is concierge medicine, AKA pay cash and get the insurance company out of it, cuz they're just screwing it up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 7:09 PM, BIKEBOY said:

Tell us the truth Grabber......... ya went back to work, didn't ya?!! 

Unable to post the answer to this question, this site must have a wed address filter..

Edited by 1 Alibi 2