TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

On July 1st 2016 I am pulling my Pension. June 30th is my last day.

Nice. It's been a little over a year now. Time just flies. There will be aspects that you will miss. However, the new life style will also open doors. Don't look back just move forward.

Edited by H0050

Congrats to those retiring. I think I've got it worked out that I can retire 6 months after I'm dead. :drop:

As a gentle nudge to those who might actually be in this position (and I don't know if you are serious or just kidding) it is important to start saving for retirement as soon as you start working. I enrolled in IRAs and 401k the year they came out. You could contribute to only one, and the 401K made so much more sense due to employee matching, and contributed the maximum. So I've been setting aside money since about 1978 or 1979 I think. My wife bemoaned the loss of income at the time but doesn't now. I don't know who thinks they are going to have any kind of quality of life on just SS so start saving now.

As a gentle nudge to those who might actually be in this position (and I don't know if you are serious or just kidding) it is important to start saving for retirement as soon as you start working. I enrolled in IRAs and 401k the year they came out. You could contribute to only one, and the 401K made so much more sense due to employee matching, and contributed the maximum. So I've been setting aside money since about 1978 or 1979 I think. My wife bemoaned the loss of income at the time but doesn't now. I don't know who thinks they are going to have any kind of quality of life on just SS so start saving now.

Yup, excellent words of advice. I had a whole lot of extenuating craziness that has me in my current position that I won't bore y'all with, but it was my doing, and I understood what I was likely getting myself into when I made those decisions, so I'm at peace with it. It is what it is.

Congrats Rob!!...enjoy your retirement bud............ :thumbsup:

I have been watching you in your retirement for many years. I always envied you. Now I will be there.

Congratulations Grabber! Time to enjoy.

Indeed it is !!

Congrats Rob, I've got one more year, then I'll join ya!

Awesome news bud. It will be here before you know it.

congrats Rob

This is going to be an awesome summer !

This has to be the longest running post I've ever read. Ive been retired 8 years now. The retirement plan is working just fine .It seems like yesterday and the 06 hertz Shelby was all the talk. Looking forward to the rumor of a 07 GT 500 coming out. Look how far the mustang has come. Ford wins Le Mans. Can't imagine how it will look in another 10 years.

Congrats on your retirement.

Yes it is. When I started this thread, I was in the dreaming stage. Now it is time ! I am so so so Happy.

Congratulations Rob!! :)

My GT500 is going to ber used everyday now !!! That and my Harley Davidson !

Nice. It's been a little over a year now. Time just flies. There will be aspects that you will miss. However, the new life style will also open doors. Don't look back just move forward.

I'm doing this NOW because of my Pension. I need to lock in my early retirement now before the option goes away !! I do not want this boat to sail with out me. Changes are predicted to come next year. I can collect full Pension amount and work 39 hours a month or 480 hours a year. I'm choosing the 39 hours a month option and after my first 30 days of retirement some discussions will be occurring to work one week every month. I am so incredibly excited to be able to retire at age 55-1/2. Being a Union carpenter with pension benefits and Healthcare is what allows me to do this. It also took 28 years of planning and saving money. 401K, savings and being totally debt free.

Time seems to be a state of mind. When you are waiting to retire it slows down. During retirement is seems to fly by. In retirement I don't put off what we want to do. I was lucky and @ a young age learned about investing and saving . I spent money on cars only after my investments were made not before. 30 years ago you could buy a 66 Shelby for $10k and have fun with it. Then something happened that changed the fun factor. So called investors got involved and the fun factor changed into greed. 67 vettes 427/435 got their attention. Blocked were stamped and matching numbers were gold. The market is what it is today. I don't care because the new stuff is what I crave . I guess its come full circle because the current crop of cars are the best money can buy. But it doesn't cost that much. Just like back in 1980 when a 66 Shelby cost $10K.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is my last official “Get up”. 83 & Out! 27.5 years ago on Feb. 3 1989 I was recruited and stripped off of a non Union residential job and brought into the Union by a Union Carpenter. That Union Carpenter mentored me and helped secure my 1st Union job. He showed me how to “network”. The rest was up to me and my determination and drive to be the best I could be at my trade. If it was going to be…it was up to me. I raised my family on Union wages and bought my 1st home. The Union wages allowed my wife to stay at home with the 3 kids. We always had health insurance. The Union bargained for my pension contributions and wages. The Union allowed me to save some of my own money in a 401K. Now at age 55 I am going to start collecting my pension on July 1st. I have planned & plotted the map for directions and tomorrow I am taking the EXIT.

post-6269-0-40452200-1467259185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grabber