TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

• 2 weeks later...

Retired Dec 27th and two days later became interim chief. My interim duties as fire chief will end April 2nd or 3rd as new chief starts March 30th. Then I am really done.

Harald - Was today your last day ?

I have changed my mind again on retirement.

After lots of discussion and prayer, I have decided not to retire. My problem was that I needed something different to put the drive and motivation back into my work life. After being employed for 26 years and 4 months with a great Union General contractor I gave my 2 week notice today. I then start my new job on April 20th. I am so excited and feel extremely blessed to be given this opportunity to work on staff for the UBC to be a Union Representative.
https://carpenters.org/Home.aspx

Wow. Good luck! Do you continue your original plan or is this a new career and new benefit umbrella

Wow is right. The leadership team that I am joining are real professionals with a very good vision for our union. The hiring process took 4 weeks. The final step was today. I had breakfast with the CEO today and he hired me.

All the same Union Benefits continue to accrue. They keep putting money into my original Carpenters pension plan.

In fact there is a additional benefit that I am going to get. It is called the International Pension. They put 21% of my net pay into that pension plan and it takes 5 years to vest it. I had no idea that was part of the package when I applied. So when I do retire I will have 2 pension plans to pull from.

Douglas%20McCarron%20and%20Rob%2010-2014

Edited by Grabber

After lots of discussion and prayer, I have decided not to retire. My problem was that I needed something different to put the drive and motivation back into my work life. After being employed for 26 years and 4 months with a great Union General contractor I gave my 2 week notice today. I then start my new job on April 20th. I am so excited and feel extremely blessed to be given this opportunity to work on staff for the UBC to be a Union Representative.

https://carpenters.org/Home.aspx

Congrats Rob....I semi retired 6 years ago and stayed active in the union by becoming a Rep in Local 1945 and always will it's very rewarding... good luck with your new position in the union Rob

Organizing brother organizing!!.... :thumbsup:

There will be 40 years for me August 23rd this summer..... :salute:

Wow is right. The leadership team that I am joining are real professionals with a very good vision for our union. The hiring process took 4 weeks. The final step was today. I had breakfast with the CEO today and he hired me.

All the same Union Benefits continue to accrue. They keep putting money into my original Carpenters pension plan.

In fact there is a additional benefit that I am going to get. It is called the International Pension. They put 21% of my net pay into that pension plan and it takes 5 years to vest it. I had no idea that was part of the package when I applied. So when I do retire I will have 2 pension plans to pull from.

Douglas%20McCarron%20and%20Rob%2010-2014

Exactly!!!.............. :victory:

• 2 weeks later...

Today was my last day working at Skanska USA . It has been a great run ! 26 years 4 months and 8 days. The staff and several project executives held a going away lunch party for me that really made me feel good about my career with this great company. It's so nice to leave on a positive note. I have met so many good friends over the years and learned so much. They made me a cool going away gift that I will hang in my shop. They were very creative and used a photo of my car and put my years of service on the plate. Everyone including the Operations manager supports the next step in my career. I start Monday with another great organization that I am very proud of. I am joining the staff at the Pacific Northwest Regional Council of Carpenters

IMG_4871-1.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

Rob,

Congratulations on the conclusion of your successful career with Skanska, one of the world's premier heavy construction builders.

I've been in the same industry since 1974 and locally, we're currently assisting the Skanska joint ventures building the South Bay BART extension and Apple's future HQ in Silicon Valley.

Although this work is challenging, at the end of the day you can always look back and see what you and your colleagues are building and ultimately see how it improves peoples lives.

Just imagine a world without highways, bridges, tunnels, hospitals, schools, high rise structures, airports, stadiums, arenas, marine terminals, treatment plants, etc...

That's a lot to be proud of and I know you've seen your share of these great projects! For those not familiar with our work zone, here's a great video of Rob's day at the "office".

Today was my last day working at Skanska USA . It has been a great run ! 26 years 4 months and 8 days. The staff and several project executives held a going away lunch party for me that really made me feel good about my career with this great company. It's so nice to leave on a positive note. I have met so many good friends over the years and learned so much. They made me a cool going away gift that I will hang in my shop. They were very creative and used a photo of my car and put my years of service on the plate. Everyone including the Operations manager supports the next step in my career. I start Monday with another great organization that I am very proud of. I am joining the staff at the Pacific Northwest Regional Council of Carpenters

IMG_4871-1.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

Congrats on the semi retirement and new job venture Rob. Looks liked signed photos are a retirement thing. Picture is of a vacant duplex that has been abandon. Most likely transients or kids started this one. That said, I have also received several job offers since my retirement. I will look for a part time gig after the first of the year(2016). I want to enjoy my summer this year ie boating and the car thing plus a few honey do's.

IMG_1629.JPG

Edited by H0050

Congrats on the semi retirement and new job venture Rob. Looks liked signed photos are a retirement thing. Picture is of a vacant duplex that has been abandon. Most likely transients or kids started this one. That said, I have also received several job offers since my retirement. I will look for a part time gig after the first of the year(2016). I want to enjoy my summer this year ie boating and the car thing plus a few honey do's.

Looks like you had a nice farewell party too. Enjoy the summer and then I know you will be motivated to find a part time job. As far as my new job it will be full time but much less stress !! :)

Congrats, my friend. For some reason, I didn't feel you would end up retiring completely!!

I wish you all the best in all and any endeavor you so choose. I know you will be the best at each and everything you choose to do. If you ever want to come to Palm Springs, I will find work for you. I know I couldn't get a better person to supervise my new museum and shop I am building!!! I learned so much in the few times I came to visit about cement cracks alone....

Alex

Looks like you had a nice farewell party too. Enjoy the summer and then I know you will be motivated to find a part time job. As far as my new job it will be full time but much less stress !! :)

Key factor - less stress. Good for you! Must say I am impressed and intrigued with Skanska and the large scale projects they have done. Guys like you and Jim (SVT NAJA) have cool trades to be involved with.

Edited by H0050

Rob, there's something I guess I'm not seeing. You were going to retire at the end of your session (whenever extensions stopped). Now it seems you're in to a new career, with your new employer committing to what it seems like you said at least a couple of years worth of experience. I'm guessing they'll expect at least 5 years of commitment from you. What are your longer term plans now?

Rob, there's something I guess I'm not seeing. You were going to retire at the end of your session (whenever extensions stopped). Now it seems you're in to a new career, with your new employer committing to what it seems like you said at least a couple of years worth of experience. I'm guessing they'll expect at least 5 years of commitment from you. What are your longer term plans now?

Tony - I was eligible for "80 & Out" on December 30th 2014.

The opportunity to work for this organization https://carpenters.org/Home.aspx is an something that I can not pass up. I consider it an honor to get the job. :)

After 5 years I will be vested in the international pension and be age 59-1/2. My original Carpenters pension will also continue to grow because this is a Union position. I may consider early Social Security at age 62. However I will need to take a hard look at my new career when I get to that age. I have been told that opportunities for me in this organization are open for me to do many things and all I have to do is go after it.

I am extremely excited and motivated and this is a great feeling to have.

Key factor - less stress. Good for you! Must say I am impressed and intrigued with Skanska and the large scale projects they have done. Guys like you and Jim (SVT NAJA) have cool trades to be involved with.

Building the big projects takes the best trained craftsmen in the business. The UBC is focused on that !

Check out our new international training center:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/63325869

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but 2 months ago on my 49th Birthday I couldn't help but start the 5 year countdown in the back of my mind.

My goal to hit this date is on track and currently solid. I just hope the economy allows me to work at least 1000 hours a year so my pension can be activated. I'm looking forward to my 54th Birthday more than any other birthday. cool.gif

58 working months left.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20160701T00&p0=3237&ud=2&font=cursive&csz=1

On July 1st 2016 I am pulling my Pension. June 30th is my last day.

This has to be the longest running post I've ever read. Ive been retired 8 years now. The retirement plan is working just fine .It seems like yesterday and the 06 hertz Shelby was all the talk. Looking forward to the rumor of a 07 GT 500 coming out. Look how far the mustang has come. Ford wins Le Mans. Can't imagine how it will look in another 10 years.

Congrats on your retirement.

Edited by mach 1 1970