TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Maybe 2010 is going to be a better year

Got a call today from a friend of mine that's in a bind..he has several cars one of which he is working on now but has no where to store it come the 15th. Seems like the place he is using now needs the bay for other cars. He is a contractor and I just flippedly said, well if you would come build onto my garage like we have been talking for a year you wouldn't have a problem. He said I'll be by no later than Saturday to see what we need to do. OK was my response. Told him we could build on as a lean to for right now, put my trailer under that and move his car into the shop. He agreed and said we will build it so it will be easy to close in later and make a 3rd bay out of it later in the year. I love it when a plan comes together and yes, 2010 is starting off right, he wins and I win! :happy feet: :happy feet:

• 4 weeks later...

well, we got my buddies car (Z28 w/ LS7) situated a few weeks ago in the garage. Hard to believe I let a GM product in there. Anyway, I had already started removing siding from building and cut corners to tie in new walls. Yep, we have now decided no lean to--going w/ footers, concrete blocks and walls. Going to put (2) 9' doors and (1) 3' entry door now. Temps were in the low 70's today so it was a great day to be outside. We managed to get the dirt moved today...only hit 2 water lines and the wires for sprikler system, but that will be an easy fix. Hope to get footers dug next weekend and then get mason to set the blocks for the foundation, etc. Have a friend the logging business and he is coming something this week to take down the light pole/light. Also, I'll need to pull the well that is used for irrigation but no more than 4-5' so I can cut it back just below floor level. Then I'll put a steel grate over it. Don't know if it is flex line or schedule 40 yet. If schedule 40, I'll put my attic acess directly above the well, that way if I ever have to pull, I can pull 10' sections and cut until it's all out. Then go back w/ flex line. No other direction to go w/ the expansion of the building.

Garage will end up being 52' x 32' (1792 sf) wife says I better not even think about my Birthday or Christmas....for many years to come. :hysterical: Here are some pics..........

post-10682-126740448721_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126740450478_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126740448721_thumb.jpg

post-10682-126740450478_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

had some time to work on the building this weekend and got the walls framed. Managed to fall of the ladder Saturday and bummed up a leg. Then got back to it on Sunday and fell again carrying a 2/12 header....forgot the 30lb bucket of nails on the ground...think I cracked a rib or two...wife says this is the last major project around her. Yeah, right.......trusses will have to wait till next week....gettting ready for Shelby Fest trip. :happy feet:

post-10682-127170550683_thumb.jpg

post-10682-12717055228_thumb.jpg

post-10682-127170550683_thumb.jpg

post-10682-12717055228_thumb.jpg

had some time to work on the building this weekend and got the walls framed. Managed to fall of the ladder Saturday and bummed up a leg. Then got back to it on Sunday and fell again carrying a 2/12 header....forgot the 30lb bucket of nails on the ground...think I cracked a rib or two...wife says this is the last major project around her. Yeah, right.......trusses will have to wait till next week....gettting ready for Shelby Fest trip. :happy feet:

Lookin' good!

Lookin' good!

thanks

Good for you, looks Great so far!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had a bigger garage, my other cars are jealous the Shelby has a 2 car garage to herself.

I know the feeling..my wife gets upset because she can't park in the attached garage....now we won't have that argument!

• 2 weeks later...

anyone want to guess what we did today??????????

that's right, setting trusses and nailing OSB. Now it's off to a long hot shower and then I think I am going to park it on the couch and drink beer. It's amazing how I use to do this all day long and just be dirty at the end of the day. Now, I am dirty, every part of my body hurts, even the :censored: fingers I am using to type this. You "young bucks" better enjoy and appreciate your youth while you have it! I was one of those that thought I would never get older (and out of shape) :banghead: We'll hit it some more tomorrow....where is Grabber when I need him.... :headscratch: Craig

post-10682-127274928038_thumb.jpg

post-10682-127274931142_thumb.jpg

post-10682-127274934216_thumb.jpg

post-10682-127274928038_thumb.jpg

post-10682-127274931142_thumb.jpg

post-10682-127274934216_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

haven't updated in awhile but the roof is on, bldg wrapped, window set and ready to go back on w/ siding. Here's the problem, I need some advice....

The original bldg had vinyl siding and I just figured this is what I would go back with, however now I am thinking about making the front of the bldg more rustic in appearance. I know it would require more maintance, but not sure vinyl is going to give the look I am after. Since I have been buying antique signs and other odds and ends vinyl just doesn't seem to work for me, and of course if I am going to change, now is the time as I have all the vinyl off the front of the existing bldg and just house wrap on the new part.

I was thinking about a tongue and groove w/ batter boards on the seams or even buying some old salvage lumber off a barn, etc. What do you guys, and gals think? Suggestions? I could do old lumber in a natural finish w/ some type of preservative or do a t/g with a gray paint with a very lite/streaked coat of white to make it look weathered.

Wife has decided that once completed we are going to do a cookout for TS members like Wicked does. We can park cars in the back around the pool/cook out/play loud music/drink in the man cave and otherwise just hang out!

Let me know any suggestions you might have for the front exterior. Thanks, Craig

Looks like a great project Craig. If you're going for a rustic feel then I'd go with the reclaimed timber and preservatives. The painted T&G may end up being more labour intensive anyway from a maintenance viewpoint.

I wish I could do this to my garage 14'x32' - I miss my 26'x28' garage at my old house.

Wife has decided that once completed we are going to do a cookout for TS members like Wicked does. We can park cars in the back around the pool/cook out/play loud music/drink in the man cave and otherwise just hang out!

Address, date and time please........ :happy feet:

Looks like a great project Craig. If you're going for a rustic feel then I'd go with the reclaimed timber and preservatives. The painted T&G may end up being more labour intensive anyway from a maintenance viewpoint.

I wish I could do this to my garage 14'x32' - I miss my 26'x28' garage at my old house.

thanks UK. I have gone back and forth on this all day. Been researching lumber, vinyl board/batt, etc. Got a buddy (contractor) coming by tommorrow to see what he suggests. I just don't want to do the basic vinyl and regret it later.

Address, date and time please........ :happy feet:

well you know the place, just need to figure out when I'll have it done!

very nice!!! i am jealous. when is the party? i got a long way to drive :)

thanks Sherri. I'll let you know when, but still have to rough in electrical, pour concrete and the do the interior...so it will be awhile. I have been off this week, so it's been fun working on it. Back to travleling Monday so the work will slow down again. Hopefully I can get some $$ out of Gg's pocket book to help it along :hysterical: Highly unlikely as she keeps going outside looking around and scratching her head and then asking me why do we need an unattached 4 car garage and a two car attached garage. Sometimes she just doesn't get it....oh well.

Craig,

Check this stuff out if you're thinking of siding. Wears like iron, comes in many colors, and different styles. It holds up well along the Pacific coast in the sun and salt air. Just an fyi.

John

http://www.jameshardie.com/

That is what we have down here on the gulf coast. Strong stuff and holds upto the humidity well :yup:

Craig, look'n good. I may have to make a road trip to the Carolina's to visit the famn damily and check out one of your sin-digs!

We can meet up and caravan :happy feet:

Archived