TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions of members who have actually seen it.

FIRST, feel free to comment on posts in this thread BUT....please don't comment on the new 2011 GT350 in this thread unless you have seen the actual car, NOT A PICTURE...THE ACTUAL CAR. I believe the opinions of those of us who have seen it are very differen't from the opinions of those who have only seen photos of it. My opinion certainly changed after I saw the car.

Gentlemen,

As it is currently parked about 2 miles away from my home here in Scottsdale, I spent the better part of an hour on Thursday examining the new GT350 at Barrett-Jackson. Afterwards I had dinner with Mark McGowan, vehicle dynamics engineer and one of the head test drivers for the Ford Motor Company. Mark pirated a 2011 5.0L 32 valve V-8 Mustang GT from the Ford Proving Ground and brought it to the Ford GT owners Barrett-Jackson gathering I host every year so that we could examine it. He probably has more time behind the wheel of the new 5.0 Mustang and any other man and he absolutely raves about that power plant. He told me it only weighs 30 pounds more than the current 4.6L 24-valve V-8, and has a 7000 rpm redline with 8000 rpm possible!! Dig that! He then told me that it has a higher compression ratio than the 4.6 L motor so supercharging it is a little trickier. The Ford Racing Parts Division is doing extensive testing and I'm sure they will have that ironed out.

On Saturday night I returned and had about a 1/2 hour conversation with Amy about the car.

Here's a rundown on my thoughts as I viewed the prototype GT350. First, the car looks a lot better in person than it does in the pictures. Especially the wheels which I hated in the photographs. Viewing them "in the flesh" on the car however, they looked outstanding. The grill and the hood look very nice. The open hood scoop flows cold air directly over the top of the Whipple supercharger exactly like the installation I designed and built for the Shelby GT. Obviously, I like that a lot.

Under the hood.......Off the charts beautiful. The selection of the black wrinkle finish Whipple is absolutely the right choice. The GT350 valve covers are really cool and correct the ugliest part of 4.6L Mustang engine which are those ugly scalloped unpolished aluminum valve covers. The underside of the fiberglass hood is well finished and the hood itself fits flawlessly. The radiator opening is fitted with an aluminum grille and there is an aluminum trim ring that surrounds it. Very nice.

Inside the car......The GT350 on display here has the optional upgraded Shelby interior which I thought was very tastefully done. The small red, white, and blue leather inserts in the seats and shifter boot combined with the black GT350 logo stitching on the seat backs gets a big thumbs up. The overdone tablet size Shelby plaque on the console door covering the cup holders is a badge too far and even Amy said that she did not like it and it will probably be eliminated. The CSM# plaque in front of the shifter is placed on an angled flat surface created for it and it looks a bit out of place there. Perhaps there's no other place for it. I would like to see a GT350 Cobra logo in the center of the steering wheel but I realize how tricky it is to modify anything on an airbag enclosure. The view from the drivers seat out over the functional hood scoop is nice and although I'm not a big fan of pillar mounted instruments, the three A pillar mounted gauges are clearly visible, nicely done, and do not impair visibility in any way.

How does it sound?........Amy was kind enough to fire the car up inside the tent while I stood behind to listen to the exhaust system developed specifically for this car. RIGHT ON!!!!!! Members might debate whether or not they prefer the center mounted exhaust or a more conventional looking system, but I can assure you that nobody will complain about the way this car sounds. The exhaust note conveys authority without being objectionably loud. Again, very well done.

Exterior appearance........Here, I'm going to have to eat some crow. When I first viewed the photographs, I was very critical of the cars exterior styling, I didn't like the front and rear facias, the rocker panel molding, or the wheels. When I walked up to the GT350 however, most of the items I found objectionable in the photos, looked pretty damn good on the actual car. The extreme lack of ground clearance on the prototype at the bottom of the front facia will inevitably result in damage no matter how careful the driver is. Driving across a typical rain gutter would result in contact with the pavement. Amy assures me that the production cars will have more ground clearance here and the molding at the bottom of that facia will be easily removable, replaceable and inexpensive. The front brake cooling ducts are functional and I assume that owners will be able to close them in cold or inclement whether. The ducts themselves appear to be a bit too large to my eye. I would prefer a slightly less aggressive front facia with a bit more ground clearance as I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I hear the very low front facia of my Shelby GT or my Ford GT scraping asphalt when entering a driveway or crossing a speed bump.

The leading edge of the fiberglass hood and the front bumper/facia form a very attractive grill that integrates well with the headlights/turn signals. A complete change from the standard Mustang grill that integrates so well that it looks like it was designed to be that way in the first place. Again, well done here. Amy told me that the redundant GT350 badges mounted on the front fenders will either be eliminated or replaced with a "Powered by Ford" badge or something else. And finally, the GT350 badging in the hood stripes looks better on the actual car than it does in the photos. I am no longer certain that it should be removed.

The rocker panel molding that I didn't like at all in photos, looks very nice on the car itself. The one thing I find objectionable about it is the very narrow slit opening that feeds cold air to the rear brakes. The opening needs to be made somewhat wider as that very tiny narrow slit does not look like it could feed enough air to do much good. The air coming through that slit is supplemented by additional air coming from underneath the car.

The rear end styling........I still don't like the Shelby letters on the surface of the back bumper. I would relocate them someplace else or eliminate them entirely. The coolest thing on the entire car is the vintage GT350 Shelby American Cobra logo in the center of the rear facia. That logo on a genuine Shelby is the Holy Grail for all Mustang enthusiasts who grew up dreaming of owning one some day. Amy told me that about a month ago the company formally changed it's name from "Shelby Automobiles" back to it's original 1960s moniker "Shelby American". I like that. The center mounted exhaust looks very nice and as I've already mentioned, sounds even better. The backup lights in the bumper that I abhorred in the photographs, are still not particularly attractive on the actual car, but they're not as noticeable and not nearly as objectionable on the actual car either. They are actual backup light lenses from a 1967 GT350, which is very cool. I would make the porthole ridges that surround those lenses slightly less pronounced, and leave them in place. The rear spoiler has undergone wind tunnel testing and both looks right and aids aerodynamics.

The bottom line........And trust me on this one, you can't judge this car from the photographs. I was a big critic of the GT350 after viewing the photos. I was wrong. I can't remember another automobile that I disliked in photos but liked a lot after I viewed the actual car. I'm not saying that I like everything about it, but I definitely like the total package. Shelby American is listening and some changes will be made before final production specifications are settled so I'm sure that the finished product will be even better than the prototype displayed at Barrett-Jackson this week.

Shelby American has sold a couple hundred of these in just a few days here at Barrett-Jackson. Obviously, many others who have examined the car up close and personal are quite impressed with it as well.

You can't judge a book by it's cover, and it appears I am not talented enough to have judged the new GT350 by photographs of it. I really believe that a lot of other members whose first impression was negative based upon pictures, will also like the car a lot when they finally view it. All the best.

Chip

I have not seen the new GT350 in person but I can say that every time I see the photos I like it more. I, like you Chip was not crazy about the body kit when I first saw the photos as they apeared to heavy visually, but I see less of that every time I look at the photos. Hopefully, Shelby America will offer the GT350 for a few years so I can place an order when funds and my wife permit.

Thanks for the candid review of the GT350.

J-

I was at the unveiling and I can second what Chip has said. The car looks COMPLETELY different in person. I think that the angles some of the pictures were taken at just do not do justice to the car. That said, there are a few things I would change, pretty much the same ones mentioned by Chip.

In talking to several others who have seen the car in person, I think the consenus is the same: Very good overall, just needs a little fine tuning.

Thanks for the post Chip,

The car has really grown on me since the first time I saw it. I really like the fact you mentioned some of the changes Amy discussed with you. They are spot on. The Shelby across the bumper is really the only thing I also hope they change. With that being said I may add this car to my stable. :shift:

Thanks,

CW

Hi Chip

Thanks for the candid post. It is refreshing to hear someone be so honest and I have learned to expect that from you.

I had the great fortune to see the car while we were in Vegas for the 2010 Bash.

I was floored. I had no intent on buying a GT350. My goal was a GT500 or a KR as my next car. I believe Amy knew that and showed me the car for that exact reason. I have place my order and am really excited.

I do plan to make it my own and have some ideas to personalize my car.

After reading the great write up on the Coyote power plant in 5.0 magazine, any cognitive dissonance I may have had has faded. I have 4.6 3V with the FRPP 550HP Whipple. I understand the same crew that set up the tune for this engine is doing the same for the Whipple on the GT350.

This waylays any fears I had with putting a compressor on a 11-1 compression engine.

Did you place an order?

Regards,

Michael

Thanks for a great write up. You saved me from a lot of hunt and peck typing.

After spending 4 days at Barrett-Jackson I can say this car looked better everyday I was there. There is no doubt this will be one hot car on the track and in the garage.

One big item for me and I mentioned this to Gary was the placement of the engine tag. It is currently pop riveted to the plastic radiator cover. In my opinion this should be riveted to metal. The engine tag is the ultimate identifier of a Shelby modified car. I think a slot could be cut in the cover, add a nice little trim and the tag could be applied like normal.

I know a lot of people have a problem with the price but look at it this way. If you want to buy a real GT350 built by Shelby this is the best deal in town.

The photos came through pretty clear on my end. Maybe your computer screen needs a good dusting, Chip. Either way, I'm surprised that seeing the car in person would make such a swift and dramatic difference in your opinion.

Did you place an order for one Chip? :lurk:

The photos came through pretty clear on my end. Maybe your computer screen needs a good dusting, Chip. Either way, I'm surprised that seeing the car in person would make such a swift and dramatic difference in your opinion.

One reason for me was the setting. After seeing the photos it looked like over the top styling bling. In the setting of Barrett-Jackson and all the crazy resto-mods it looked plain Jane! :P

The design is not perfect. I would have stuck with design cues from 65, but then that's my favorite car of all time.

I reserved my opinion until I saw it in person. There are some details that could be different, many of them amount to personal taste, and have been repeated here at least a dozen times.

I do think you need to reserve final judgment until you see one in person.

The next stage will be driving one. My suggestion to SA is that they have one in Vegas for controlled (street) test drives.

Either way, I'm surprised that seeing the car in person would make such a swift and dramatic difference in your opinion.

Kahmann,

After looking at photos for two years of the new Camaro, I loved that car. The 1969 Z-28 was an all time favorite of mine. When I finally saw the actual car for the first time, I had the opposite reaction. Especially to the front end. I'm not that hot on the new Camaro any more.

I have had Tom Glockner at Santa Margarita Ford reserve a properly speced chassis for me to turn into a GT350 later in the build when the HD cooling pkg. will be available. The potential fly in this ointment is the continuing deterioration of my Chevron business. If things remain on the same trajectory they have been on for the last two years, I might have to abandon that plan and eat a couple of my existing Shelbys.

All the best.

Chip

Kahmann,

After looking at photos for two years of the new Camaro, I loved that car. The 1969 Z-28 was an all time favorite of mine. When I finally saw the actual car for the first time, I had the opposite reaction. Especially to the front end. I'm not that hot on the new Camaro any more.

I have had Tom Glockner at Santa Margarita Ford reserve a properly speced chassis for me to turn into a GT350 later in the build when the HD cooling pkg. will be available. The potential fly in this ointment is the continuing deterioration of my Chevron business. If things remain on the same trajectory they have been on for the last two years, I might have to abandon that plan and eat a couple of my existing Shelbys.

All the best.

Chip

Very cool - I'd love to have one personally. I hope the business turns around for you and allows you to add this beauty to your already fine collection. :salute:

Ken

Pretty tacky if you ask me, gaudy and garrish as well, looks like a "kit car"...

So you have seen it in person? Or you are just disregarding the point of this thread so you can make sure and ruin any possible chance of keeping at least one thread positive.....

Anyways,

Yeah Chip, I was a little worried about the rear end upo0n seeing it in pictures, but thought much differently seeing it in person...

Yeah, I am glad I ordered it...I just have to figure out where to keep it!

BTW- Thanks for the AWESOME post with nuggets of information everyone here should have. I agree with your assesment down to the last detail!

FIRST, feel free to comment on posts in this thread BUT....please don't comment on the new 2011 GT350 in this thread unless you have seen the actual car, NOT A PICTURE...THE ACTUAL CAR. I believe the opinions of those of us who have seen it are very differen't from the opinions of those who have only seen photos of it.

Pretty tacky if you ask me, gaudy and garrish as well, looks like a "kit car"...

2008ShelbyGTcabriolet,

Again, there are tons of threads where your comments on the pictures are welcome, but not here. It's already become abundantly clear that people who look at the actual car have a completely different opinion than those who have only seen the pictures, myself included. For that reason, the only comments I'd like to hear about in this thread are from members who have seen an actual car. The prototype will be back up in Las Vegas in a couple days and I encourage any Team Shelby members who will be vacationing in Vegas sometime soon to take a look at it.

I am confident that as more members post up after viewing it this trend will be reinforced. My unscientific polling tells me that there's about a 75% negative reaction to the photos. But as I talked to a ton of people crowded around that car at Barrett Jackson, there was over a 75% positive reaction to the car itself.

Time will tell whether I'm right here or whether I'm full of s***. Either way, I hated the photos but after seeing the new GT350 up close and personal, I intend to put one in my garage. All the best.

Chip

Funny, your description did not come to mind when Gary Davis removed the cover of the GT350 in the design studio on January 10th. All four of us bought one.

Yeah, I am glad I ordered it...I just have to figure out where to keep it!

Warren, I met you briefly in Las Vegas and, because you are a stand up guy, I am willing to store your GT350 at my house in the garage. I would not make that offer to just anyone but I want to help you any way I can. I will make sure the car is driven regularly so the seals remain moist and the battery remains fully charged. smile.gif

Jim

Warren, I met you briefly in Las Vegas and, because you are a stand up guy, I am willing to store your GT350 at my house in the garage. I would not make that offer to just anyone but I want to help you any way I can. I will make sure the car is driven regularly so the seals remain moist and the battery remains fully charged. smile.gif

Jim

My faith in mankind has been restored! What a selfless thing for you to do!

Hey Jim,

I might just let you drive it if you want...Im that kind of guy...and that's what these cars are for! :shift:

As far as storing it, well, I think Im going to keep it in the house so I have a place to sleep after my wife has more time to think about me getting another car! :hysterical:

Hey Jim,

I might just let you drive it if you want...Im that kind of guy...and that's what these cars are for! :shift:

As far as storing it, well, I think Im going to keep it in the house so I have a place to sleep after my wife has more time to think about me getting another car! :hysterical:

Can I also drive it? please....please ....please :hysterical:

Archived