TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Push button starter

FourTwoSeven

I want a push button start in my Shelby, but I'd like a real one, not one that I still need to use my key with. Thought the whole point of the push button was to not have to use the key. Be much better if the key fob stayed in your pocket, like some cheaper cars already have (i.e.- Toyota Prius). As long as you are within five feet (sitting in the driver seat) of the receiver, all you have to do is push the button and the car starts. Just some food for thought.

But how would you resolve the manual transmission being left in gear when parked? If that can't be resolved, the car could run away after being started.

The system would have to have a "in gear lockout" circuit in it's program, but that would defeat being able to start the car remotely. I am not aware of any manual transmissioned car that is offered with a remote start feature. :headscratch:

What FourTwoSeven is looking for is not remote start capability. He just wants to jump in his car with his key fob in his pocket, push the clutch in, and press the start button and go.

I believe the problem with this is that the key physically unlocks the steering wheel. That would have to be overcome for a true push button start.

But how would you resolve the manual transmission being left in gear when parked? If that can't be resolved, the car could run away after being started.

The system would have to have a "in gear lockout" circuit in it's program, but that would defeat being able to start the car remotely. I am not aware of any manual transmissioned car that is offered with a remote start feature. :headscratch:

I know a lot of people differ on that, but I don't leave the transmission in gear when parked, as IMHO that is what the appropriately named parking brake is for. :doh:

What FourTwoSeven is looking for is not remote start capability. He just wants to jump in his car with his key fob in his pocket, push the clutch in, and press the start button and go.

I believe the problem with this is that the key physically unlocks the steering wheel. That would have to be overcome for a true push button start.

Correct, push botton start and remote start are two different things. I wonder how much trouble the steering lock would be to bypass? :headscratch:

Those that track on a regular basis typically conditioned themself to never use the parking brake and always park with the stick in reverse as we are partial to rear rotors that are perfectly flat. I know, for daily driving this shouldn't be a concern unless you ride your brakes all the time.

I would assume you would need a good handful of eletronic gizmos to have a true push button start, i.e transponder and reciever programed secure enough to handle it. I read somewhere once that some manufacture was working on one. Sorry, I'm not much help.

As a point of interest; I have a friend who installed an "EASY INSTALL" push button start thats on the market now...and he says he's never do it again. Evedently the "easy install" was'nt so easy afterall, and regrets not clicking on to the onsite (install instructions first). I was also thinking about one for my GT500, and was glad he warned me off it. It sounds like it's just a bit more work than he planed on. So read the instructions FIRST!

Archived