TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roll Bar

What was the name of the company who is offering the Rear Seat delete and Roll Bar option that we all discussed for about a year?

I want a 4-point Roll Bar with shoulder harnesses but I really want to delete the rear seat. First time racing at the Shelby Bash and can't do that with factory seatbelt. My neck still hurts :doh:

And if I remember correctly, it's only a 'cosmetic' roll bar. The rear seat delete they build is stunning however, but I can't imagine it's good for any weight savings.

No it's not a cosmetic part as I repeat myself the bar is 120 wall DOM w/baseplates you can bolt or weld it in but you must remove the rear seat to use it

Sorry, but I don't buy that the Raceskinz bar is a "roll bar" no mater what it's made of or how it's installed. Having said that, I've never seen one in person so I could be offbase.

The closest thing I've seen to a prefab roll bar is the one from Griggs and from Maximum Motorsports. Both of these kits bolt or weld to the actual structure of the car and not just to the flat thin floor. After seeing the FX car out of Tulsa flip with the Autopower bar I'm convenced anything that bolts to the floor is false security.

If all you are looking for is a race harness to help keep your butt in the seat then Griggs or even the Corbeau Harness Bar might be the way to go. I have no idea if the Corbeau harness bar is safe but it apears to be sturdy enough. Neither are ment to secure the belts; they are there to keep the belts aligned appropriately over your shoulders and the belts must be secured appropriately to the floor.

If it's your neck that is bothering you then I'm not sure a harness or a roll bar will help. My guess is your neck just isn't accustom to the weight of the helmet. A neck pad maybe a smart and much cheaper investment.

Sorry, but I don't buy that the Raceskinz bar is a "roll bar" no mater what it's made of or how it's installed. Having said that, I've never seen one in person so I could be offbase.

No, I don't think you're off base at all.

In fact, before you can plunk down your (substantial) cash to purchase the rear seat delete kit, Raceskinz makes you sign a hold-harmless agreement that says in part:

"This Catalyst Industrial Marking, Inc. Product Sold as the Raceskinz™ Brand product ("this

Product") is designed, and intended, only for cosmetic purposes. The person or entity buying this

Product and/or using this Product [even if different from such buyer] (the "User") agrees to use

This Product solely for the purpose of cosmetic enhancement, Catalyst Industrial Marking,

inc. (Raceskinz™) makes no claims of enhanced performance, safety, or structural benefit

resulting from the purchase, installation and usage of this Product."

The disclaimer goes on and on, including the caveat that the rear seat delete kit should preclude the carrying of rear seat passengers :finger:

The style bar (their preferred terminolgy) is for show. While, despite the disclaimer, it won't hurt you (unless you drop it on your foot), it is unlikely to preserve you in any way either.

My kit is still on its delivery pallet at a local seat shop; installation is scheduled for some time next week. I'll post some photos if anyone is interested.

No, I don't think you're off base at all.

In fact, before you can plunk down your (substantial) cash to purchase the rear seat delete kit, Raceskinz makes you sign a hold-harmless agreement that says in part:

"This Catalyst Industrial Marking, Inc. Product Sold as the Raceskinz™ Brand product ("this

Product") is designed, and intended, only for cosmetic purposes. The person or entity buying this

Product and/or using this Product [even if different from such buyer] (the "User") agrees to use

This Product solely for the purpose of cosmetic enhancement, Catalyst Industrial Marking,

inc. (Raceskinz™) makes no claims of enhanced performance, safety, or structural benefit

resulting from the purchase, installation and usage of this Product."

The disclaimer goes on and on, including the caveat that the rear seat delete kit should preclude the carrying of rear seat passengers :finger:

The style bar (their preferred terminolgy) is for show. While, despite the disclaimer, it won't hurt you (unless you drop it on your foot), it is unlikely to preserve you in any way either.

My kit is still on its delivery pallet at a local seat shop; installation is scheduled for some time next week. I'll post some photos if anyone is interested.

Please do! One thing is for sure, that kit is by far the best looking availible!

No it's not a cosmetic part as I repeat myself the bar is 120 wall DOM w/baseplates you can bolt or weld it in but you must remove the rear seat to use it

I have talked with Raceskinz about the rear seat bar, they make you sign a waver to purchase :headscratch: , They won't provide it with a harness bar or bracing, they say for liability reasons. It really is not certified for any type of racing, but may be better than nothing at all.

I think I am going to go with the Griggs 4-point. Still not certified, but if you look at how their bar mounts IMO it is more stout in the event of a roll-over.

I do like the rear seat delete from Raceskinz, but they told me it does not save weight, and it is over $1900 without the rear seat bar. Ouch!

Just my opinon of course.

If I could find some quality time with my SGT I would like check into making my own rear seat delete from prefab sheets of carbon fiber. Nothing too complex, just something to cover the hole leftby the seat. It wouldn't be cheap and most likely couldn't support any significant weight but would have to be lighter then anything on the market. There are several places that will make flat sheets of CF in just about any size and you could have them pre-cut. Leave the finish raw or paint to match and secure with zeus fasteners.

The Griggs bar is legal for track days with NORCAL Shelby, COCOA, SAAC, Track Masters, Hooked on Driving, NASA, Speed Ventures, SCCA, etc. Several people have added down tubes making it a true four point. Stock, it attaches to the grade 10.9 bolts that attach the seat belts as well as the floor.

Contact John Griggs at 707 939 2244 ext 203.

Colin

If it's your neck that is bothering you then I'm not sure a harness or a roll bar will help. My guess is your neck just isn't accustom to the weight of the helmet. A neck pad maybe a smart and much cheaper investment.

I second that...........you can but a "doughnut" for around 25$, it works kinda like a poor man's Hahn's device. Or get rid of that motorcycle helmet and buy a racing helmet, if you go with the doughnut I'm sure that would take care of the sore neck.

I have been following the roll bar threads for some time, as I really want one. I think it will be the Griggs.

Let me ask this question. When I have the helmet on in the car, the headrest pushes agianst the back of my helmet, which in turn seems to kind of push my chin down towards my chest. This makes the seating position odd. I have set the seat back one notch, but that seems to put me to far back from the steering wheel, so it feels unatural.

Tell me, am I the only one with this problem? Has any of you had this issue and came up with a fix?

Thanks.

Remove the headrest and turn it around, Rick

I have been following the roll bar threads for some time, as I really want one. I think it will be the Griggs.

Let me ask this question. When I have the helmet on in the car, the headrest pushes agianst the back of my helmet, which in turn seems to kind of push my chin down towards my chest. This makes the seating position odd. I have set the seat back one notch, but that seems to put me to far back from the steering wheel, so it feels unatural.

Tell me, am I the only one with this problem? Has any of you had this issue and came up with a fix?

Thanks.

The Griggs bar is legal for track days with NORCAL Shelby, COCOA, SAAC, Track Masters, Hooked on Driving, NASA, Speed Ventures, SCCA, etc. Several people have added down tubes making it a true four point. Stock, it attaches to the grade 10.9 bolts that attach the seat belts as well as the floor.

Contact John Griggs at 707 939 2244 ext 203.

Colin

Ok, so I learned something today, that the Griggs bar meets the requirments of these orgianizations. Thanks for the info

Remove the headrest and turn it around, Rick

Do we have to pay you for that??????

:hysterical:

Archived