TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

The rest of the valvetrain parts were ordered today. I went with OEM followers reluctantly, only because it's impossible for me to justify another couple thousand dollars just on rocker arms.

I went with Comp's titanium retainers, high load springs from Comp, Comp's cam phaser limiters, ARP cam sprocket bolts, and OEM lash adjusters/cam followers/cam tower hardware. These parts are being shipped direct to my head builder. The port/polish, valve job, and cam tower repair are all complete. Assuming that Comp shipped my cams when they said they would, I should be bolting complete, rebuilt, stage 3 heads onto my short block by the end of next week.

Also, I dropped my cam covers off at the powder coater this morning. I'm in the process of cleaning up the timing cover, in order to get it powder coated to match as well. I'll post pics once I have them done. Just a quick FYI, there's no way in hell to get the top cam cover seals (for the solenoids to poke through) off without destroying them, even with a well sized bushing driver. So I've got those on order, along with new cam cover gaskets, and crank seal for the timing cover. I can smell that Sunoco burning already. :shift:

Ken

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to buff the fresh black paint off of the timing cover (along with the crappy rough finish of the aluminum from Ford). I'm dropping it with the powder coater tomorrow, so that it'll match my pan and cam covers.

DSC00541.jpg

^Thanks buddy - I'm getting pretty antsy with the beautiful weather we've been having. It's definitely time for me to get back behind the wheel. I can't wait to hear her fire up for the first time in a long time, meaner than ever. :shift:

^I'm hoping for a 700 rwhp avatar when I'm all done ;)

That's awesome Ken, I can't wait to hear and see the pics/videos of that beast running. Thanks for the update on my Facebook too.

I am hoping for close to the same from when Tasca is done with mine too. Maybe we can start a 600 or 700 RWHP mini club for the SGT's LOL. I wonder how many are in that range. I know Paul is there already and recall a few others too.

That's awesome Ken, I can't wait to hear and see the pics/videos of that beast running. Thanks for the update on my Facebook too.

I am hoping for close to the same from when Tasca is done with mine too. Maybe we can start a 600 or 700 RWHP mini club for the SGT's LOL. I wonder how many are in that range. I know Paul is there already and recall a few others too.

I'm really looking forward to the results of your build Adam. At this point, I'm focusing on re-joining the 'up and running' club, but will soon thereafter be thinking about my #'s again! I'm still waiting on my heads. Now they're saying sometime this week. :waiting:

Hopefully, either way, we'll both be in an awfully exclusive rwhp club, man. Paul and Jeff (blueone) are the only guys I know of pushing over 600 to the wheels honestly. I'm certain Carl (bigcarl1) would be there too with a quick pulley swap, but he's smart for playing it safe after grenading his stocker on the track a year or so ago.

• 2 weeks later...

STILL waiting on my heads to be done...

The wait is killing me at this point. I'm being told '2 more days' every time I talk to the guy.

So in the meantime, I decided to get a few more random parts powder coated for no good reason, including my aluminum Moroso coolant reservoir and even my motor mount adapter plates. The plates will obviously rarely get seen, but the rough nasty finish of them from Ford has been bugging me. That's a good sign that I've been staring at this engine OUT of the car for too long.

Anyway, here are some pics of the freshly powder coated parts.

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00582.jpg

I'm really looking forward to the results of your build Adam. At this point, I'm focusing on re-joining the 'up and running' club, but will soon thereafter be thinking about my #'s again! I'm still waiting on my heads. Now they're saying sometime this week. :waiting:

Hopefully, either way, we'll both be in an awfully exclusive rwhp club, man. Paul and Jeff (blueone) are the only guys I know of pushing over 600 to the wheels honestly. I'm certain Carl (bigcarl1) would be there too with a quick pulley swap, but he's smart for playing it safe after grenading his stocker on the track a year or so ago.

save a spot in the club for me!! :)

I got the call this afternoon that my heads were 99% done but still missing valve seals. They've tracked down a set of seals and will get them wrapped up by tomorrow afternoon. Here are a couple pics that I got emailed to me and apparently there are still a couple pics on their way.

Unknown2.jpg

Unknown.jpg

STILL waiting on my heads to be done...

The wait is killing me at this point. I'm being told '2 more days' every time I talk to the guy.

So in the meantime, I decided to get a few more random parts powder coated for no good reason, including my aluminum Moroso coolant reservoir and even my motor mount adapter plates. The plates will obviously rarely get seen, but the rough nasty finish of them from Ford has been bugging me. That's a good sign that I've been staring at this engine OUT of the car for too long.

Anyway, here are some pics of the freshly powder coated parts.

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00582.jpg

Looking good Ken. I intend to send out my Canton tank next week.

^Thanks Ty. I've had a local shop do all the powder coating.

Still no heads, by the way. I paid the shop on Friday for complete, assembled heads. My guy picked them up then told me he was having trouble with the high load springs bending up his spring compressor. So apparently the shop didn't complete the assembly, even though they have my dough. My guy assumed he'd have something figured out by today. He doesn't. The heads are going back to the shop tomorrow to get assembled. This has turned into yet another 3 ring circus.

I finally picked up my heads tonight. They look awesome.

However, there are no lash adjusters or cam followers installed. Apparently there was yet another miscommunication with my builder.

So I'll be ordering those (again) tomorrow and installing them myself. Hopefully I have better luck compressing these springs.

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

Archived