TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again fellas! I agree, I'm a lucky guy to have such an agreeable wife. She loves fast and loud cars as much as I do. :)

Anyway, the blower has quieted down, so I can hear the engine a lot more. I took it for the first test drive and heard some rattling around underneath. Looks like I need to tighten up some exhaust clamps. Also, I need to work the rest of the air out of the power steering system. Otherwise, it seems solid.

It drives like a completely different car. The clutch will definitely take some getting used to, but so far I like it a lot. The tank was almost empty, so I took it to the Chevron a mile or so away. Pretty much everyone there and on the way there stopped and stared or wanted me to light the tires up. I forgot how much attention these cars draw anyway, let alone when they sound like a freight train! :lol:

I'm so relieved to have it running right. I just want to drive it hard! :shift:

Nice! I love the wife's response! More women need to have that kind of attitude!

I'll second Jason's motion here! My wife is pretty understanding, but I doubt that she would allow me to do what all you have done with yours....Sounds Fantastic! Break her in, then go Nail Her!!!!!

Carl

Paul, I agree and am working on it. Hopefully soon.

Ken, I'm really psyched for you. You busted your butt and turned that sweet ride into an amazing and mean machine. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you end up getting out of her.

Very nice. Gotta love the Paxton whistle. Looks like your cross over fuel line sits kinda high. Will it rub on the underside of the hood? May just be the angle in the video. Any way, glad to hear it run. Pretty soon it is time to :shift:

Thanks again guys. Harald, that fuel crossover does sit high. I used to shove it underneath that rear lip, out of the way of the hood, but it started melting the plastic late last year. So this time, I've got it sticking straight up. Luckily, there's about 1/2" of clearance between the fuel line and the hood, with the hood closed (without insulation). I measured it a couple days ago by sticking some modeling clay on the top of the line, before closing the hood.

On a bummer note, the rigid heater hose that runs underneath the intake and connects to the front of the block, right underneath the t-stat housing, is leaking again. The coolant is again running down the valley of the block, through the bellhousing, and out of the opening in the bottom of the bell onto the garage floor. All of this coolant soaking my brand new clutch can't be great for it, I'm sure. It's a real hassle to get to and even worse to fix. It looks like I'll have to track down the Motorcraft orings this time though, since this is the 2nd set of orings to leak.

Anyway, I wish I didn't have to tear the intake back off, but I've got no choice. Hopefully I can get the right orings tomorrow.

Paul, I agree and am working on it. Hopefully soon.

Ken, I'm really psyched for you. You busted your butt and turned that sweet ride into an amazing and mean machine. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you end up getting out of her.

Adam FYI, FR now make the Aluminator with the stock CR (9.8:1). Call Dennis he has one coming in soon.

:backtotopic:

Thanks again guys. Harald, that fuel crossover does sit high. I used to shove it underneath that rear lip, out of the way of the hood, but it started melting the plastic late last year. So this time, I've got it sticking straight up. Luckily, there's about 1/2" of clearance between the fuel line and the hood, with the hood closed (without insulation). I measured it a couple days ago by sticking some modeling clay on the top of the line, before closing the hood.

Great to hear this is a non issue.

On a bummer note, the rigid heater hose that runs underneath the intake and connects to the front of the block, right underneath the t-stat housing, is leaking again. The coolant is again running down the valley of the block, through the bellhousing, and out of the opening in the bottom of the bell onto the garage floor. All of this coolant soaking my brand new clutch can't be great for it, I'm sure. It's a real hassle to get to and even worse to fix. It looks like I'll have to track down the Motorcraft orings this time though, since this is the 2nd set of orings to leak.

Anyway, I wish I didn't have to tear the intake back off, but I've got no choice. Hopefully I can get the right orings tomorrow.

Thanks a lot guys!

The video doesn't capture how insanely loud this thing really is. It scared the bejesus outta me right off the bat! Anyway,

As I posted on the vid....Nasty, Ken!

How do you compare the sound to Big Carls?

Congrats!

^I'd say it's louder honestly, but I'll know for sure in a week or so when I hook up with him down in Modesto where I'm getting my post break-in dyno tune. Carl is running some turbo style Magnaflow mufflers and I've got the Magnaflow 'deletes'. Otherwise, our exhaust setups are identical.

I fixed the coolant leak once and for all tonight. I found that the stud that holds the heater hose assembly in place to the back of the passenger head had broken off, causing the rigid hose under the intake to travel about 1/2" when running with 16 psi of coolant passing through it. After about 5 hours of non-stop fighting in the tightest possible spot to work in (under 4" of clearance) and after having purchased damn near every 'close quarters' and 'offset head' drill and drill attachment known to man, I was able to get the stud tapped out and replaced with a 6mm bolt. So the rigid line is finally secure and shouldn't be leaking anymore coolant.

That leaves me with the circuit breaker install on the battery cable and the roll bar install. I'm going to try to get it into Griggs' shop late this week or early next week so that they can take care of the roll bar. I've fought it a couple of times in the past few months and it's nothing I want to monkey with ever again. Anyway, I'm happy to have found a resolution to the coolant leak!

The only news is no news guys. I've put about 200 miles on it so far and it's running fantastically. I'm scheduled to get it dyno tuned Monday night.

So I'm going to make a pull with my break in tune from VMP, then after verifying that it's safe, I'll add the pulled timing and make another dyno pull on this tune.

Finally, I'll let the dyno tech write a tune from scratch and make a final pull with that too. I'll have video and dyno sheets posted asap. :shift:

Video clip with Flowmaster mufflers

Video clip with Magnaflow muffler deletes

Note to self, do not follow Ken when we cruise up to Cougar Mt Saturday. Good luck with the tune Ken, we'll see you Saturday morning. Drive safe.

Thanks Dave, I look forward to seeing you again this weekend.

The tuning didn't go as well as planned, but I'm mobile with a green light to hit the road in the morning. However, I can't exceed 5K RPM's safely, because my MAF is pegged out around there. My tuner mentioned that my 3V was pulling as much air as a built Cobra motor with a KB strapped on top. No one at the shop could believe my little 302's output.

This car put down 520 rwhp and 511 ft/lbs at just 5K RPM's, with several degrees of timing pulled for safety, before we had to shut it down.

A bigger MAF will be on order asap, so we can get the rest of the tune dialed in and add the rest of the timing. By the looks of it though, it shouldn't have much trouble tipping into the 7xx's at redline. I'll post some video once I'm done packing up the car for the road trip tomorrow.

Oh yeah and I need some mufflers. Have I mentioned that? LOL I thought this thing was loud at idle. You should hear it at 5K RPM! :lol:

Anyway, I'm delirious after a long day and a very long night at the dyno shop, but happy as all hell to have this thing running so well, even if I can't approach redline yet.

Dyno pull #1

Dyno pull #2

Dyno pull #3

Archived