TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet! We're all excited for you Ken.

Thanks a lot Adam. It was a fine sight for me today to finally get the heads bolted down.

I also picked up a set of tappets and rockers, so I'm going to try to get those in tomorrow. Then I can work on getting the cam phaser limiters installed and wrap up the timing assembly, then I'll be done. :shift:

Hey Ken

I just realized you subconsciously knew BLACK is the fastest color !

Andrew

Actually, I figured that I should have something to slow this beast down and what better to do the job than a bunch of slow, heavy black paint and powder coat?! :lol:

Here's what the cam phaser limiters look like installed. If anyone's planning on installing these themselves, you need to have a T30 Torx bit handy to pop the back cover off of the cam phaser. Then this limiter slips right into place and replaces the cover completely. Everything else you need to do the job is included in the kit from Comp (except for replacement cam bolts obviously).

DSC00820.jpg

've got the timing set up, except for the tensioners. I'm waiting on the Motorcraft tensioner lockout clips to arrive tomorrow so I can keep them locked down for install.

I also did a quick fit of the intake today for no reason in particular.

DSC00830.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

I'm in the middle of another fight with MMR. This time it's about their 'billet steel crank timing gear' that they sold to me, insisting that the stock gear is junk and will break.

I paid $200 for the gear, only to find that it doesn't fit. It's far too snug for the crank and is about 3x as thick as the stock gear. I called MMR to ask for a refund. They sent me to the tech guy who explained to me that it most certainly does fit. I then explained to him that I was standing here with the gear in my hand and it most definitely does NOT fit. He argued for awhile then sent me to customer service.

The customer service guy then explained that I would have to pay a 25% restocking fee, or $50, in order to return it. I went off on him about MMR's crap service and their even worse technical knowledge of what it is they're selling. He then made the mistake of telling me that the gear isn't even theirs that it's built by Accufab. So after hanging up on him, I called Accufab and got their lead tech on the line. He was a really cool southern guy that seemed to know as much about these motors as anyone. He told me that these gears were designed for the 96-99 Cobra 4V. Those engines came with powdermetal gears from Ford and broke a lot. My stock gear is stamped steel and he said would never break. He told me that this gear shouldn't be used on anything other than a 96-99 mod motor, but that it could be adapted to work on any other year if one was to track down a 96-99 timing gear.

I called MMR back and told them what I was told. They decided to call Accufab themselves and will apparently call me back. Regardless of the outcome, MMR is absolutely ridiculous to work with. I spent thousands of dollars and every problem I've had with them (and there have been many) have been a result of their idiocy or lack of attention to detail. Their service is horrible, their policies are worse. How these clowns stay in business is beyond me, but even the Accufab tech told me that he thinks "MMR is full of a bunch of morons that don't know what they're selling" and "have no business in this business". Moral of the story = go anywhere else before you ever consider dealing with MMR.

Ken

I'm in the middle of another fight with MMR. This time it's about their 'billet steel crank timing gear' that they sold to me, insisting that the stock gear is junk and will break.

I paid $200 for the gear, only to find that it doesn't fit. It's far too snug for the crank and is about 3x as thick as the stock gear. I called MMR to ask for a refund. They sent me to the tech guy who explained to me that it most certainly does fit. I then explained to him that I was standing here with the gear in my hand and it most definitely does NOT fit. He argued for awhile then sent me to customer service.

The customer service guy then explained that I would have to pay a 25% restocking fee, or $50, in order to return it. I went off on him about MMR's crap service and their even worse technical knowledge of what it is they're selling. He then made the mistake of telling me that the gear isn't even theirs that it's built by Accufab. So after hanging up on him, I called Accufab and got their lead tech on the line. He was a really cool southern guy that seemed to know as much about these motors as anyone. He told me that these gears were designed for the 96-99 Cobra 4V. Those engines came with powdermetal gears from Ford and broke a lot. My stock gear is stamped steel and he said would never break. He told me that this gear shouldn't be used on anything other than a 96-99 mod motor, but that it could be adapted to work on any other year if one was to track down a 96-99 timing gear.

I called MMR back and told them what I was told. They decided to call Accufab themselves and will apparently call me back. Regardless of the outcome, MMR is absolutely ridiculous to work with. I spent thousands of dollars and every problem I've had with them (and there have been many) have been a result of their idiocy or lack of attention to detail. Their service is horrible, their policies are worse. How these clowns stay in business is beyond me, but even the Accufab tech told me that he thinks "MMR is full of a bunch of morons that don't know what they're selling" and "have no business in this business". Moral of the story = go anywhere else before you ever consider dealing with MMR.

Ken

sorry to hear this Ken, the MMR list is many and most have learned the hard way

sorry to hear this Ken, the MMR list is many and most have learned the hard way

Hope you get through all BS and get that monster running. You have a awesome build cannot wait to here this thing.Good luck and take your time it took this long do not take any short cuts.GET IT RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy feet: :peelout:

^Notice my signature doesn't say MMR anywhere on it anymore.

Grant from MMR called back and left a voicemail saying that since Accufab says that the gear could work if I swap the timing gear that there's nothing else MMR will offer to me.

I can either take the 25% restocking fee on a part that was never built for my motor or buy a 96-99 timing gear so that I can use this completely unnecessary part on the end of my crank. Seriously. How are these guys still in business? $50 isn't a lot of money and honestly I could care less whether I get the $200 back. The principle of the thing is what has me absolutely infuriated. They sell people parts that 1) they don't need and sometimes 2) aren't even designed for their engines. He has the nerve to tell me they have an A+ rating with the BBB. I guess I need to have a chat with the BBB about my experience with MMR.

Wow Ken!

I feel your pain, but at the same time appreciate your efforts. I was looking at the same set-up as you ie MMR 5.0L stroker. I will definitely go elsewhere.

Your ride is going to be awesome and I can't wait to see/hear it in person!

^Good call Dan. It's just not worth the hassle of dealing with those guys if anything goes wrong. And with them on the other end of the deal, it's almost certain that something will go wrong. If I was starting from scratch, I'd source every part myself. If you need any help, let me know man. I know just about every wrong move to avoid at this point.

On a positive note, I got a lot done today...

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00841.jpg

Ken

What did I tell you?

Archived