TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Well apparently the dyno is repaired. I had to give up my #1 spot on the waiting list, because of the accident my SGT got itself into while sitting in a parking lot a couple weeks back.

I dropped her off this afternoon at the body shop. The other driver's insurance adjuster will visit the car tomorrow, in order to assess the damage. So hopefully that goes well and they can at least begin the repairs this week.

Assuming all goes well, I should be looking at the end of next week or the week after to get my long awaited dyno time in...

any update :lurk:

Ok, who pissed-off Ken..... :slapfight:

LOL sorry fellas, it's been a goofy couple of weeks for me, between travelling, work, kids, etc. But no one pissed me off! :lol:

The update is that the car is still in the body shop. Originally, it was to be done this passed Tuesday and then today. Now, it's due to be done next Tuesday. There was a delay from Shelby on the rocker stripe. Also, Ford shipped a damaged hood, so that slowed things down even more. Once I pick her up though, I'll throw some photos up of the new mods I decided upon (Paul already knows one of them). ;)

Aside from that, I finally ordered up the Paxton air-to-air intercooler kit, which ought to arrive sometime next week. I've also got the FRPP intake manifold coming, along with a Vortech Maxflow race BOV, so I'll have a couple days of work ahead of me, before I can get Ol' Blue back on the dyno. :shift:

C'mon you guys are worse than my wife! ;)

You fellas know how I am. I can't leave anything alone. I'd better buy a project track car here pretty quick or this thing is going to end up looking less and less like an SGT every day.

El Shelby -

Looking at the yellow Lambo in Ken's picture, I guess he already has Lambo doors. Maybe he's trying to tell us his next mod is converting to Front Wheel Drive. With all that horsepower, the back end sliding around probably gets annoying........

Update on the FRPP intake - it's not designed with the Paxton/Vortech kits in mind. It won't clear the t-stat housing, due to the Paxton supplied housing spacer that I have installed. The spacer is installed to rotate the housing slightly, so that the coolant hose will clear the blower. It looks as if it was an after thought of sorts on Paxton's behalf. I've tried everything and there's no way to get this manifold to bolt up with that spacer installed.

So I'm working on cutting up the stock aluminum t-stat housing and re-welding it, so that I can get the angle I need but without the spacer. Once that's done, I'll post pics of the install, so that anyone else with a Paxton/Vortech that wants to add the FRPP intake will know what to do.

I picked the car up Thursday afternoon from the body shop, only after demanding that I be able to keep it for the weekend, in order to get some parts off the car that I sold and promised to ship last week. They gave the car to me with a freshly painted fender, hood, and bumper cover (like fresh out of the oven fresh), so they still need to be color sanded. The rocker stripe is still en route from Shelby, also. The hood pins aren't installed, because they didn't get around to cutting the holes.

My new paint mod is done though and I think it looks bitchin. I'll get a pic up shortly. My new hood mod, however, hasn't been started. Also, they tried installing a new driver's side headlight that wasn't an HID, so I needed to correct them on that. The new HID ought to be here tomorrow apparently, so my old damaged HID was reinstalled with a temporary strap to keep it in place. I have to drop the car off again tomorrow morning and I assume that they'll have it for another couple of days, in order to get the rest of the work taken care of. I did get my powder coated Moroso coolant reservoir removed though and shipped to it's new owner, so I'm glad I got to keep it for the weekend anyway.

Aside from wrestling with that intake manifold, my air-to-air intercooler kit arrived from Paxton, so I began that install this weekend too. All I got done was installing the coil itself behind the bumper cover. While the front fascia was off, I finally got my new tow hook bracket installed (the one that I purchased from Kerry). It came out looking pretty good, so now I just need the hook! Anyway, putting the bumper back on was a serious chore, so after some quick inspection I realized that the coil was sitting too high, forcing the bumper cover to bend upwards. I had to pull the coil back off and drill out new mounting holes, so that it would fit into place. After trying to install the bumper again, I found that my Shelby brake cooling/lower fog light bezels were causing an interference down low. So out they came. Those will be up for sale shortly.

LASTLY, somewhere along the line late last week, I found the time to weld my new Magnaflow cats into my Kooks off-road x-pipe. They were a bear to weld up, because the fit was so goofy. The cats measured a little over 3" and the x-pipe measured a hair under 3". I didn't realize this of course until after my cuts were already made, so my TIG work ended up being butt welds instead of the much preferred slip on welds. I also had to cut out and relocate the original O2 sensor bungs, in order for the long cats to fit. And I also added an extra O2 sensor bung for each bank. One is for my wideband and the other was just for the hell of it. I hadn't used a TIG setup for almost a year, so the welds aren't passing x-ray or anything, but I think they came out OK. I'll also post pics of those in a few. Anyway, I definitely do NOT recommend that anyone pull their entire exhaust system out of their car on their back under some cheesy jackstands in their garage, then try to bolt it all back up by themselves at midnight after working all day. My neck is still killing me. The sound is great now though and not nearly as obnoxious (but it still has a nasty rumble). The added torque down low was a nice surprise too.

All in all, it's been a terrible month of modding with this thing. I'm exhausted from all the back and forth, the missing parts, the damaged parts, the parts that don't fit right, and on and on. I see a light at the end of the tunnel though, so I'm not trading her in for a Kia just yet. ;)

Here's the Paxton coil installed, before I had to modify the mounting brackets.

You can also see the newly installed tow hook bracket on the front of the bumper support.

(Nevermind the pile of junk in the background, by the way - I'm trying to move to my new house through all of this mess at the same time!)

DSC03124.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well after the move to the new house, my baby daughter's surgery, and a whole ton of time lost with the paint/body shop, I finally got around to cutting and re-welding my thermostat housing. I moved the t-stat housing's outlet just a few degrees towards the front of the car and gained enough clearance to delete the Paxton supplied t-stat housing spacer and get the FRPP intake manifold to finally bolt down.

However, by removing the spacer, I found that the throttle body housing now interfered with the Paxton supplied coolant hose fitting (the shiny 90* elbow that connects to the end of the t-stat housing). So last night, I took a grinder to my TB and gained just enough clearance for that to bolt up too.

My intercooler coil is mounted, but I had to remove the SPP brake duct/fog light bezels, in order to get the coil to fit. So now I just need to find the time to finish up the intercooler plumbing. I received some new silicone couplers and T-bolt clamps from ATP Turbo (thanks for the lead Carl), so I've got everything I need now to get that job done quickly.

After that, the blue devil is finally ready for it's long awaited tune. I'll get some pics up asap.

On a side note, I have to return to the body shop for the millionth time, because one of my custom mods fell apart a day after they completed it. I'll post pics of the final exterior, once I can get their mistakes fixed, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

I forgot I snapped this shot last night before heading to bed. You can see the intake manifold bolted down with the strut tower brace barely clearing it. I had to add 4 or 5 washers to the top of each strut stud to get it to clear, even though I've got 1/2" lowering motor mounts. You'll also notice another new mod in the bottom of the picture, the FRPP radiator cap sticking out of the coolant hose. After installing the Paxton supplied coolant reservoir recently, in order to make room for the intercooler kit, I found that the huge Shelby radiator cap cover was nearly impossible to turn, because it's jammed against the side of the strut tower brace. So I bought an inline 'T' from Summit and the FRPP radiator cap, so that I have a more convenient fill for the system. Also, if I ever want to lose the OEM 'de-gas' system and add a coolant overflow, I can pull the plug from the side of the inline T and run a new coolant hose from there to an overflow.

8vw0eg.jpg

Archived