TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks man, yeah, it's ready to roll pretty soon for sure. I just got the belt situation resolved.

I pulled a string and came up with 120.75" ID. My original belt is a 120.30" ID and I couldn't get it to fit no matter how hard I pulled. After checking Gates and Dayco, I found that nobody builds a 120.75" belt in this style, so I yanked the tensioner off and cut the bump stop off with my bench grinder. That gave me just enough of a swing on the tensioner to get the belt into place over the blower pulley. I figure it'll probably be better to have an ultra tight belt anyway with the amount of boost I'm hoping to run. Jeff (blueone) just sold me his old Steeda HD tensioner with ThumpRRR idler (thanks again Jeff for the killer deal!), so I'll need to modify it's stop too, once it arrives.

Anyway, now that that's done, I can finally wrap up the last few bits and pieces (coolant & PS hoses/reservoirs/fluids, electric fan, etc).

I yanked the tensioner off and cut the bump stop off with my bench grinder. That gave me just enough of a swing on the tensioner to get the belt into place over the blower pulley. I figure it'll probably be better to have an ultra tight belt anyway with the amount of boost I'm hoping to run.

You may already know this, but grinding that stop off is required when installing a Whipple kit. You should not have any problems with the modification.

You may already know this, but grinding that stop off is required when installing a Whipple kit. You should not have any problems with the modification.

Actually I didn't know that, but I can see why it's required! It sure helps free up a ton more slack in the belt.

Dayum!!! That looks nice under there!

I really like the CF piece up front...

edit*** Not to mention the Strut Tower brace!

Thanks a lot Dan! I really dig the JLT rad cover too. It's a lot of CF, but not too overbearing.

And being able to retain the FRPP brace is definitely a nice perk of having a Paxton. ;)

^Not at the moment but soon enough. I couldn't decide which route to take and it sounds like I can build an air-to-air for a ton less dough than the Paxton kit. So instead of sitting idle for another couple months, I decided to get the motor installed and running now. Then I'll dedicate all of my mod time at looking into intercooler options.

I intend on having something within the next couple months.

Not yet Paul! I just got the new battery cables tonight, along with the correct fuel injector adapters.

Once I'm done with that, I need to vacuum pump the brake fluid, to get the hydraulic slave cylinder free from air.

Then I'll run through a quick checklist, bump the starter, dump the oil, refill, and give her hell. Hopefully I've got some video sooner than later.

I got the new battery cables installed last night. So I've got power again, which let me load my break in tune from Justin.

I also got the correct fuel injector adapters installed, then pressurized the fuel system to check for leaks. The gauge showed 45 psi on the rail and holding and I couldn't find any gas leaking anywhere, so that's a bonus.

Tonight, I'm planning on wiring up my new Cobalt boost/vacuum gauge, then changing the oil and filter, and then finally giving the starter some exercise.

^Not at the moment but soon enough. I couldn't decide which route to take and it sounds like I can build an air-to-air for a ton less dough than the Paxton kit. So instead of sitting idle for another couple months, I decided to get the motor installed and running now. Then I'll dedicate all of my mod time at looking into intercooler options.

:lurk::lurk::lurk: Can't wait for your solution; I'll likely follow suit ;)

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but is there any way you are going to pass the smog test or is you Shelby a track only car from now on? Reason I ask is Im seriously considering embarking on the same journey that you have done and I need to pass here in Texas. Do you have any info on how to go about a stroked engine build with smog testing in mind?

Not yet Paul! I just got the new battery cables tonight, along with the correct fuel injector adapters.

Once I'm done with that, I need to vacuum pump the brake fluid, to get the hydraulic slave cylinder free from air.

Then I'll run through a quick checklist, bump the starter, dump the oil, refill, and give her hell. Hopefully I've got some video sooner than later.

Oh we can't wait to hear it come to life Ken. :dance:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but is there any way you are going to pass the smog test or is you Shelby a track only car from now on? Reason I ask is Im seriously considering embarking on the same journey that you have done and I need to pass here in Texas. Do you have any info on how to go about a stroked engine build with smog testing in mind?

This is not a smog legal build at all. However, you can build a forged, supercharged stroker that still passes smog.

It's the heads, cams, and exhaust setup that I have that won't even come close to passing. FRPP makes smog legal heads, cams, and exhaust, so you may want to go that route. Although, I'm not familiar with Texas' smog laws or how they compare to Cali's.

Oh we can't wait to hear it come to life Ken. :dance:

Me neither! I thought last night was the night, but I was wrong. I found a coolant leak coming from the intake valley that was running down the back of the block, through the bellhousing, and onto the floor below. I had to strip the intake/rails/etc to find the source and get it fixed.

I finally got the nerve up to the turn the key after triple checking everything and nothing happened. After inspecting the starter, I realized that the small gauge starter wire was hooked up wrong. After correcting that, I tried the key again and still nothing. Then I found a blown 30A fuse. That was after 2AM at that point, so I hung it up for the night. I'm headed out now to track down a new fuse...

Great. Looking and and I know you will be happy when you can get in the seat and :shift:

Thanks a lot guys!

Here's the video I took of the first start up. You'll notice some smoke - that's spilled brake fluid cooking off the driver's side header. ;)

I thought I had sopped it all up in time the other night, but I guess not. Aside from that, the speed takes off after a few seconds, up to 1500 RPM, then settles back down into it's idle (which is set high for now at 900 to ensure plenty of oil pressure). From there, you'll notice the blower start to howl like it always does and everything looks good.

The video doesn't capture how insanely loud this thing really is. It scared the bejesus outta me right off the bat! Anyway, I'm awfully relieved to have it firing up so sharply without any fluids running out all over the floor. It's now due for another oil and filter change, then I can give it a test drive. :shift:

Archived