TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon Fiber Quarter Window Covers

I thought I would experiment with some carbon fiber laminate over the weekend and I made myself some quarter window covers. I wasn't too sure about it when I first did it but the more I look at them the better I like them. I am considering adding some faux rivet heads similar to the Shelby covers.

What do you think; is it too much?

post-24566-1258422140_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1258422151_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1258422161_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1258422264_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1258422140_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1258422151_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1258422161_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1258422264_thumb.jpg

I thought I would experiment with some carbon fiber laminate over the weekend and I made myself some quarter window covers. I wasn't too sure about it when I first did it but the more I look at them the better I like them. I am considering adding some faux rivet heads similar to the Shelby covers.

Not too much, it just seems out of place. Sorry, not for me.

I like it! Did you make it yourself?

Yes, I purchased a sheet of CF from Sierra Composites, made a template of the quarter window, trimmed the CF and applied to the window. Once on the window I cleaned the edges with razor (which was not easy) and sanded the edge smooth with some 600 grit. Soup to nuts; maybe two hours.

Well now you will have to get the front splitter and the mirror covers to make it look like it belongs. Looks cool though. Many people here aren't fans of carbon fiber but I like the stuff. Great Job!!

Thanks, I like the CF against the Vista Blue. I have a set of the mirror covers from JLT but I don't think they were trimmed right. Jay from JLT is working with me to figure out if I have a bad set or if it's installer incompetence.

I know that CF is a love it or hate it proposition. I want a few select pieces to complement and not over do it. For all I know CF could end up being the bass boat metal flake of the 70's, the gold plate of the early 80's, and the splatter paint of the late 80's early 90's. Nobody wants to see those again.

What the hell is Hydrocarbon?

Hydro refers to the "painting" or "screening" process used to cover just about anything with a simulated pattern. They use a tank filled with a water solution, apply paint or screen to the surface of the water then the part to be painted is dip it into the water. When the part is removed it is covered in a carbon fiber pattern. The same process is used to create hunting equipment with a realistic camouflage.

JLT now offers this as a service along with a dozen other online vendors. Check the link for photos.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50083

The covers look good, but I do think you need to complement them with other carbon fiber pieces like the mirror covers and splitter you mentioned to tie it all together. I like the smooth look and would not add the rivets.

+1

i like it and it would look nice with CF mirror covers, and maybe a CF dask kit, if you do not have IUP.

Laurence

How would you say if affects your visibility? I like the retro look, but it really isn't saving any weight like the original mod did in '65. On one hand it does look nice, on the other, it seems a shame to cover a perfectly functional window that in itself is rather retro, a la '66 Shelby. Do you really notice an enlarged blind spot?

How would you say if affects your visibility? I like the retro look, but it really isn't saving any weight like the original mod did in '65. On one hand it does look nice, on the other, it seems a shame to cover a perfectly functional window that in itself is rather retro, a la '66 Shelby. Do you really notice an enlarged blind spot?

it does limit the visibility but not enough that I find it to be a nuisance. I had originally thought that blocking the window would be trouble on the track. But quickly realized that if I'm looking back over my shoulder while I'm on the track that I have bigger issues because I'm not paying attention to where I'm headed. Not too smart at WOT.

Make no mistake about it. It does increase the blind spot. You will get used to it though.

+1

No big deal, even on track

I'm not a fan of quarter window coveres, because I really like the visibility out of those windows. Also, with those windows covered, I think it makes the rear of the car appear more bulky or heavy.

Having said that, however, I would prefer something like the silverhorse racing covers if I were to do it. The carbon fiber covers look more like a dark window tint to me. The Silverhorse covers also have some visibility through the windows.

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/webstore/...category_id=255

I think it's distinctly different. I'm not saying that in a bad way-1st car I've seen that way. The picture from a further distance did look like window tint as Ilmor pointed out. I don't dislike the carbon fiber look, but I think it's one of those that is VERY easy to overdo (kind of like billet aluminum interior trim). That being said, you said you were thinking of covering the inside of the windows-maybe carbon fiber inside also. You could always add another interior cf piece to tie that in. I say-it's your car, mod it your way.

Looks GREAT!

Carl

Having said that, however, I would prefer something like the silverhorse racing covers if I were to do it. The carbon fiber covers look more like a dark window tint to me. The Silverhorse covers also have some visibility through the windows.

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/webstore/...category_id=255

+1

Visibility is reduced but I just peek over my shoulder and stomp on the Whipple when I want to change lanes

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

Archived