TEAM SHELBY FORUM

JLT CAI and Tune Test on 2007 SGT

Sorry we haven't done this sooner, but we finally found a local SGT willing to let us do some testing on.

Many of you may or may not know our JLT CAI for the 2005-09 Mustang GT is one of our top sellers and was rated highest HP and TQ producer of 11 kits in an 5.0 magazine article.

Because the SGT comes with a Ford Racing CAI and tune already we didn't expect much for gains, but at least you will have the tuner for any future mods like headers, off road exhaust, gears and so on.

We strapped the 2007 Shelby GT (bone stock W/ 18,000 miles) on the dynojet and made a coule base line pulls. It put down 269-273 RWHP and 295 RWTQ. Which is right on if you do the math 319 fly wheel HP - 15% drivetrain loss = 271 RWHP.

The stock A/F was good at 12.3- 12.5

We built a tune and did some more runs. On 93 fuel this car jumped to 285-286 RWHP and 302-303 RWTQ.

Peak gains were great at 16.2, but from 5500-6400 the gains were upwards of 15-20 RWHP and TQ. That's power you will feel!

These findings are right on par with all 2005-09 4.6 3V engines we have tested.

After this, you can do headers, cams IMRC deletes and more.

I will be building a Shelby GT section on the web site very soon, but if anyone is interested in a kit, feel free to give us a call.

We will need your year, computer code, mods and fuel octane.

We also offer our CAI is your exact body color to bring some flash under the hood.

Any questions feel free to call or email me direct jay@JLTtruecoldair.com 757 335 1940

JLT CAI & SCT X-3 Tuner package $549 (add color for only $15)

Thanks for reading

Jay

tn_SHELBY%20GT%20JLT%20test.jpg

tn_SHELBY%20GT%20003.jpg

tn_SHELBY%20GT%20009.jpg

Jay, I'm a relative idiot when it comes to the impact of mods such as a intake and tune. I understand the principles but not necessary the physics. So how much of the power increase is the result of the intake and how much results from the tune it's self. I understand the two work together, and not to take away from JLT intake, but why would I not see a similar gain from a comparable intake and tune?

Thanks,

Jason

Jay, I'm a relative idiot when it comes to the impact of mods such as a intake and tune. I understand the principles but not necessary the physics. So how much of the power increase is the result of the intake and how much results from the tune it's self. I understand the two work together, and not to take away from JLT intake, but why would I not see a similar gain from a comparable intake and tune?

Thanks,

Jason

Not an idiot at all.

Let's keep it simple,

the stock tube is smaller and far from a straight air path.

Our JLT intake tube is plastic, to not absorb heat. It's huge, nearly 102mm on the inside and can add color to the engine compartment.

As for a comparable intake and tune, sure many CAI/Tuner packages produce similiar gains on the 3V 4.6, but we have been able to squeeze out a few more then the rest due to the things mentioned, size and materials used.

I'd say it's about 50/50 on the tune Vs. intake getting the 15-20 RWHP. I have seen tunes on these cars gain about 8-10 over all, but the huge gains in the upper RPM range are from the free breathing of the much larger intake. It's a air pump remember, easier in faster out = more power and an easier working pump

Is it all from the tune, no, but is it all from the intake, no. Both work together to get you the biggest bang for the buck you can get, not to mention I thnik it looks a whole lot better then the stock rubber elbow :)

Thanks

Jay

Will it work with the Ford Racing airbox in the car or does it need to come out-black one appears to have a different airbox and white one none at all.

As far as the stock one's looks, I changed mine over to the Steeda elbow simply because the stock one was UGLY! The JLT piece looks slick, though. It would be really cool if you could get 2 little silver lemans stripes around it :hysterical:

If you were to do other mods you mentioned such as headers/cams and a new tune were required, would the preformance shops be able to build their tune around your intake?

Our kit has the MAF housing in the tube itself, so it must be used as a complete kit.

The white one in the picture just doesn't have the heat shield installed. We were doing some quick pictures.

As for future tunes, yes, any tuner or us can make a tune for the JLT and header or what ever mods you have. With well over 6000 units sold world wide, almost every SCT, Diablosport, HP tuners, Superchips or who ever has JLT specific tunes.

Archived