TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Exhaust Opinions?

yamahar1

I am looking to get some throatier mufflers for my new 'stang. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I don't like the popcorn sound. I am thinking in the direction of flowmaster or basani. Probably just the slip ons, unless high flow cats make that much more of a sound difference. I will put a cold air kit on, and re-tune at that time, but I just want to get a little over 300hp at the wheels. I don't care to get too much crazy hp at this time, there is always the option of supercharging later, right! Thanks for the help. I found a few sites where you can hear the exhaust, but I know from getting my motorcycle on video tape, it sounds different when up close. Seems like the recorders make it sound louder than it is. Later

I am looking to get some throatier mufflers for my new 'stang. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I don't like the popcorn sound. I am thinking in the direction of flowmaster or basani. Probably just the slip ons, unless high flow cats make that much more of a sound difference. I will put a cold air kit on, and re-tune at that time, but I just want to get a little over 300hp at the wheels. I don't care to get too much crazy hp at this time, there is always the option of supercharging later, right! Thanks for the help. I found a few sites where you can hear the exhaust, but I know from getting my motorcycle on video tape, it sounds different when up close. Seems like the recorders make it sound louder than it is. Later

You'll need more than mufflers to get 300 at the wheels. Here's a video of my dyno run, the sound is accurate: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5823186173824339058 It gives a good throaty sound without being obnoxious cruising around.

I have JBA long tube headers, h-pipe (no cats), and MagnaFlows (all of it is stainless). My CAI is the WMS unit (after the video was shot). With a custom tune, I'm at 306 at the wheels.

post-5356-1166381761_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1166381813_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1166381761_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1166381813_thumb.jpg

You'll need more than mufflers to get 300 at the wheels. Here's a video of my dyno run, the sound is accurate: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5823186173824339058 It gives a good throaty sound without being obnoxious cruising around.

I have JBA long tube headers, h-pipe (no cats), and MagnaFlows (all of it is stainless). My CAI is the WMS unit (after the video was shot). With a custom tune, I'm at 306 at the wheels.

That does sound pretty good. Is that more the long tubes without cats, or the mufflers making the "deep throat" sound? No popcorn there, sounds good. I don't know if I want to go the long tube route just yet, always an option though.

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/

Read my sig to see what I did to get my numbers.

Good luck! It's hard to decide on a sound. Best to hear them in person, if you can.

It is hard to hear them in person, because if I do see a 'stang on the road, he is usually going the other way, or on the highway, so it is hard to stop him and see what junk in the trunk he has to get the nice sound I am looking for! I see your sig, I don't think I will go that route because I am the mechanic for the car! I don't want to tear into the engine yet, but I enjoy doing that sort of thing. I can do the computer flashing and cold air kit and exhaust mods by myself without too much drama. Just don't feel like digging into the engine yet! As long as I get the performance I am looking for, I don't think the car will see the shop unless I go the supercharger route. We do have a fairly famous shop in my area (livernois Motorsports) they are the ones who had the '05 Gt stang at like 900 or 1000 hp or something crazy. So, they are always an option in my area, but I like to do the work myself. Maybe my list is magnaflow, flowmaster, basani, ford racing (borla stingers right?). Later, thong out

I *highly* recommend Borla products. I've been running one of their side exhausts since 1999, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I am thinking about the ford racing power pack. I think I read somewherer that Ford racing's mufflers are Borla Stingers. Anyone try the power pack yet to see if the numbers are accurate? They claim 20 extra pony's at the rear wheels which should bring me up to about 305hp at the wheels. I don't know how they sound though. I believe they sound good on the older 5.0 engines, but I don't know about the new modular engines? Thanks again for that X-plan # Michelle. I got to go out yesterday topless :stop: . It was like nearly 60 degrees here in Michigan! Car looks good now with a nice coat of Zymol, and some TLC! Might go out again today cruisin, sun's out, top will be down, the family is in Jersey visiting relatives! Sounds like a recipe for some cruisin! p.s love the heated seats for the vertible, nice with the top down when it is cooler! Later.

post-2895-1166451668_thumb.jpg

post-2895-1166451691_thumb.jpg

post-2895-1166451710_thumb.jpg

post-2895-1166451668_thumb.jpg

post-2895-1166451691_thumb.jpg

post-2895-1166451710_thumb.jpg

That does sound pretty good. Is that more the long tubes without cats, or the mufflers making the "deep throat" sound? No popcorn there, sounds good. I don't know if I want to go the long tube route just yet, always an option though.

It's mostly the mufflers. Without the catless pipe and headers the sound will be smoother (the headers and h-pipe give it somewhat of an edge). Between shifts I get a subtle crackle in the pipes (not popcorn) - sounds way cool, like a hissing rattlesnake.

I wouldn't bother with the full blown power pack from Ford. The shorty headers are a waste as the factory manifolds are already quite efficient. I recently did a customer's car with a custom dyno tune (using SCT), WMS intake, and Ford Racing mufflers (Borla stingers). It gained a solid 30 hp.

I've heard Ruf's Bassani's in person and they have a REALLY great sound to them. :hyper:

Yeah, basani's might be my route. If I go with a cold air kit, I will probably put basani on from the cats on back, and get my computer re-flashed for that 20-30 horsepower. I am mainly in it for the sound, and around 300 rwhp.

Orf recorded my exhaust (and his Corsas and MM's stock exhaust) and posted the link on a thread "Ocktoberfest" - in the Shelby Discussion threads. Do a search if you'd like to hear the Bassanis.

Never mind - just found it for you!

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...fest&st=100

Scroll down to Orf's post with the Octoberfest link. :shift:

Orf recorded my exhaust (and his Corsas and MM's stock exhaust) and posted the link on a thread "Ocktoberfest" - in the Shelby Discussion threads. Do a search if you'd like to hear the Bassanis.

Never mind - just found it for you!

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...fest&st=100

Scroll down to Orf's post with the Octoberfest link. :shift:

Thanks, looked at it. I wonder what the corsas sound like on a GT? Your basanis sound good. I might go that route, and get the basani X pipe and high flow cats as well as the mufflers. With the cold air kit and a fresh tune, bet I could expect nearly 30 hp at the wheels. Should put me around 305-310hp no problems. I don't care about needing the premium fuel, it is not a daily driver. (although lately I have been driving it every day, sometimes with the top down). Who could figure I could drive a convertible in Michigan with the top down in December???? Crazy weather this year.

• 5 years later...

Archived