is 400 enough?

greaser

is 400 enough  

57 members have voted

1. 1. do you think 400+/- at the crank is enough

• nope you will be dissapointed unless you go FI
    • its fast enough stock what are you sick in the head
    • yep its plenty for a quick and agile street car

i keep going back and forth on if i should supercharge my shelby or just do some mild NA stuff. so my question is isnt 400 at the crank enough for a realy good handling quick car? i know that with what i have now no one has ever goten out of my shelby going it just isnt fast enough except me. i think i would be totaly happy at 400 at the crank but i dont know for sure and there arnt any mustangs around that have that much its me at 340 or so and a gt 500 so i have no way of judging weather or not 400 would be enough.

I weighed the options myself. I figured FI was easier and cheaper in the long run because you could tune the car, change a pulley, and pick up more HP for less money versus this cam or that cam change. Plus I think FI like the whipple just gives more torque than a head and cam package ever could. Plus the driveability is like stock till you go WOT. Then theres the intercooler upgrading if you feel the need for more power in the future. Just my opinion.

I tracked my car both before and after SAI put the Kenne Bell on it. I agree with ShowCar (except for his belief that black is the fastest color ;) ) about the overall advantages of FI. Having it does not slow you down on the race course and you have the instant push when you come out of the twisties and get on the straight away. In my signature, you can see my rear wheel numbers. They have been plenty for my needs. Good luck on your search for the right combination to get you the speed you need.

Jim

I agree......the car should have never left the corral with 319 ponies! That being said Ford did not give Shelby enough time to get the HP up to 380-400HP as it should have been. Shelby had to put the car into production right away to stay on track with the Ford exec's otherwise they would have never made the amount of $$ to stay open or to be a force again. So they came up with the saying " it is a wonderful track car". They said that because the car has very small balls and that is the only thing that would save face to the Shelby buyer.

So yes the car SHOULD have come with at least 380-400 HP at the crank. That amount of HP would have been plenty to have fun with on the street or strip......and we would not get spanked by a V-6 Camaro, UGH.

Just before I added my blower, my SGT was making just a hair over 400 HP, naturally aspirated. At the time, it felt like a rocket ship. If you have nothing to compare it to, then you won't be disappointed at all. Take a seat in my car now or a modified GT500 and you will be left wanting more with your own car, guaranteed.

However, as long as your car is all you know, then that 400 HP will feel like lightning compared to the base 319. That being said, there is an undeniable difference from 350 RWHP to 500+ RWHP, one that I couldn't have imagined myself until I strapped myself into my own beast for the first time on the track post-blower install.

Ken

I weighed the options myself. I figured FI was easier and cheaper in the long run because you could tune the car, change a pulley, and pick up more HP for less money versus this cam or that cam change. Plus I think FI like the whipple just gives more torque than a head and cam package ever could. Plus the driveability is like stock till you go WOT. Then theres the intercooler upgrading if you feel the need for more power in the future. Just my opinion.

+1

....I went from ~270 to ~370 HPRW with the 1200SL and charge motion deletes. For now, it's enough. Give me a year or so and I'll be wanting more HP and my options are wide open :)

Go with the SC !! You will need wider tires ;)

Every case is different....................I have other fast cars, a lot faster than the Shelby, I bought the Shelby because it was kool look'n. If you want to get in a piss'n match on racing, horsepower, who's dick is bigger etc, then get a SC. If your just plain kool than leave it alone and enjoy it.

P.S. If your street racing (which I do not do) remember first guy on the gas usually wins!!!

:shift:

:boring:

I agree......the car should have never left the corral with 319 ponies! That being said Ford did not give Shelby enough time to get the HP up to 380-400HP as it should have been. Shelby had to put the car into production right away to stay on track with the Ford exec's otherwise they would have never made the amount of $$ to stay open or to be a force again. So they came up with the saying " it is a wonderful track car". They said that because the car has very small balls and that is the only thing that would save face to the Shelby buyer.

So yes the car SHOULD have come with at least 380-400 HP at the crank. That amount of HP would have been plenty to have fun with on the street or strip......and we would not get spanked by a V-6 Camaro, UGH.

:stop::stop::stats: :beatdeadhorse: :slapfight::wrongforum::club: :koolaid: :alien: :peelout:

Ok you get a V-6 Camaro, I'll get a N/A SGT and I will TOTALLY dust you on any track you want.

Your smoking crack if you think a 6 banger Camaro would win...seriously.

:stop::stop::stats: :beatdeadhorse: :slapfight::wrongforum::club: :koolaid: :alien: :peelout:

Ok you get a V-6 Camaro, I'll get a N/A SGT and I will TOTALLY dust you on any track you want.

WaaaWAAAAAWaaaaaWAAAAA. You couldn't drive yourself out of a wet paper bag yet along beat a V-6 Camaro. :):)

WaaaWAAAAAWaaaaaWAAAAA. You couldn't drive yourself out of a wet paper bag yet along beat a V-6 Camaro. :):)

:hysterical: You now know that I have been razzing you the whole time...Dang! :doh:

Cheers!

ShelbyBro, you would need agressive cams, good flowing heads, intake, tune, longtubes, and the parts you mentioned to reach 400hp NA. Even then It wouldnt be at 400hp. Anyone have any research to prove otherwise? Ive been researching alot before I did my SC. I would have to have a stroker to be where I wanted. Right now since I addressed some issues with my SC Im at 345hp and 335TQ at the wheels which is about 415HP flywheel. It is a automatic car so by the time I bought a torque converter, tune and other items for the cams to be effective I would have spent more and gotten even less torque than I have now. When moving 3800lbs of car torque is needed more than horsepower to a certain degree.

• 1 month later...

I had BRENSPEED install the following on my "08 SGT (5 speed)...

COMP Thumper Cams (phaser limiters)

Motion Delete Plates

STEEDA under pullies

KOOKS Long tube headers

KOOKS high flow Cats

CORSA Axle backs mufflers

Breenspeed tune

385HP at the flywheel (DYNO)

All I need now is 3:90 or 4:10's, as the cams push the HP more up the RPM curve (3000+). The car is a monster. The sound is NOT believable. Everyone says it sounds like a NHRA dragster.

I did the following and achieved 402 HP at the flywheel - SAE dyno proven, assuming 15% drivetrain loss.

-Comp stage 2 XFI VSR cams/springs/retainers

-Steeda billet charge motion delete plates

-Steeda UD pulleys

-Bamachips race tune

-JBA shorty headers

-FRPP axle backs

-BBK twin 62mm throttle body

-FRPP 410's

The cams make the biggest difference. If you're not worried about smog, do the Comp stage 2's or 3's. MMR makes a good cam too with tons of power.

The easiest 400 HP will be the Whipple non-IC S/C. The best sounding 400 HP will be the mod motor with the nasty cams.

Ken

i will be doing the na route it just appeals to me not that i have anything against FI its just not the same tho.

Atta boy, that's the spirit! If I didn't have smog to think about, I would have purchased MMR stage 2 heads instead of the Paxton blower.

If I blow this motor up, I'm building a nasty NA stroker with the intention of surpassing 500 HP. :shift:

Ken

Is this a trick question?

Is this like asking if you would be perfectly happy with one hot bikini-clad chick sitting in your lap when you could have another rubbing your shoulders? :headscratch:

I say, MORE, MORE, MORE!! Just don't forget to beef up the brakes! :peelout:

Archived