TEAM SHELBY FORUM

back to Griggs

I finally made it to my re-torque appointment this morning at Griggs Racing in Petaluma. John Griggs and I had some serious problems getting a date to work out.

I canceled a few times and he canceled once or twice, but it was all unavoidable stuff. So I was very relieved to get to be able to make it in today.

The drive was beautiful and it was nice and cool in wine country. John actually did all of the work to my SGT. He was awesome to hang out with for the day and he had a whole ton of useful info for me. My buddy TJ and I hung out in the bay, while John and Guy were working on the cars. I snagged a few photos of their new setup, after moving into the much bigger shop next door.

Anyway, he completed the re-torque and it went very well, no issues. John installed safety wires on my Koni coil over springs, so that they won't lift out of the saddles anymore when I jack the car up. He found that the rear end had been hitting the exhaust, where the pipes wrap up over the top of the housing. He pulled my entire exhaust apart, moved the joints closer together, re-torqued all of the clamps, and lined my previously crooked mufflers up. He also showed me how to adjust the ride height in my rear coil overs and lowered them 1/2" from what they were for a little meaner stance. Lastly, he put a full race SN-95 Mustang on the lift and grabbed one of my stock rims to see if it would clear the Griggs 4-on-4 brakes. He found that I'd need a 3/8" spacer and it would clear no problem. So now I have the spacers and longer wheel studs on order, so that I can upgrade to their brakes. After inspecting the front wheel well, I'm convinced that the stock wheel will only look better pushed out that extra 3/8".

A huge thanks is due to John for doing all of this work on my car at no charge. He's definitely proven yet again that Griggs is the best in the business and will keep me coming back for more as long as they're around. Here are some of the pics I grabbed.

Ken

DSC07276.jpg

DSC07277.jpg

IMG00016-20090730-1110.jpg

IMG00018-20090730-1112.jpg

I am glad I don't live within 3,000 miles of them or I would be broke !!!

You are one lucky guy

Take Care

Andrew

:hysterical:

Tell me about it. My wife is about to put a retraining order against the whole Griggs clan on my behalf! ;)

This car broke the driver's front rotor right off of the hat around turn 11 at Infineon and smashed into 2 retaining walls. No one was hurt and all the damage is apparently cosmetic.

DSC07265.jpg

It needs to be noted that this is a BREMBO rotor, not a Griggs rotor. We have seen several of these failures.

Colin

Ken,

Thanks for sharing your photos, glad to hear it all worked out for you..

I'm looking forward to meeting John in a few weeks and to see one of there cars on the track...

TC Motorsports is also joining in on the fun with a couple of there FR500 Mustang Challenge cars, you should see about coming up to visit, there still room to get you on the track- :shift:

SN%20Hot%20Laps%202.jpg

Lastly, he put a full race SN-95 Mustang on the lift and grabbed one of my stock rims to see if it would clear the Griggs 4-on-4 brakes. He found that I'd need a 3/8" spacer and it would clear no problem.

That's great news!

Ken,

Thanks for sharing your photos, glad to hear it all worked out for you..

I'm looking forward to meeting John in a few weeks and to see one of there cars on the track...

TC Motorsports is also joining in on the fun with a couple of there FR500 Mustang Challenge cars, you should see about coming up to visit, there still room to get you on the track- :shift:

Hey Kerry that might actually work out for me. I'll try to fast track my next PNW trip and if this date works, I'll definitely get signed up!

That's great news!

No kidding Jason! I was awfully excited to hear that the 4-on-4 is a possibility. John said they only have a couple of kits built for the S197 GT.

Once the spacers and studs come in, I'm going to try to get one of those kits on my SGT. :)

I forgot to mention that I pulled the trigger on the first of 2 Griggs Racing race buckets today. The coolest part is that the power seat motor and controls swap right over to the GR bucket. Power race seats! And they're super comfortable, surprisingly enough. A little tough to climb in and out of, but once you're in, it's just as comfy as the OEM seat IMO. I'm stoked to get the first one in and will get pics up asap. John said about 2 weeks or so! :happy feet:

Ken

One other somewhat important note I forgot to mention. I had planned on adding their power steering cooler today, but that didn't happen.

Luckily John read my emails about my Paxton install and thought to ask if I was ever planning on adding the Revan Racing radiator/heat exchanger kit, after I upgrade with the intercooler. I told him that I absolutely intended on going with that setup. The power steering cooler, however, doesn't clear the Revan stuff, without some modification. It only makes sense to do the modification as they're installing the cooler, so I would have had to pay for the thing twice basically, had I asked him to install it today.

Anyway, he saved me a few hundred bucks. And I thought I'd pass on that bit of info for anyone else planning on the Griggs power steering cooler. It's an important upgrade for any Shelby that sees a lot of track time, according to Colin and John.

Ken

I actually got to see one of these hoods on a Mustang GT this week, and it looked pretty good. He had left it unpainted so the carbon showed all over it and it was on a Black car, so it fit well...

I loved the look of this hood as well. John noticed that I was drooling over it and he told me to pick it up.

I did and it's HEAVY as hell! I was really surprised. Still looks pretty nifty though. :lurk:

Archived