TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2010 Shelby GT ?

I think Shelby GT program should go away since they still have brand new 2007 and 2008 models on dealer lots. They never sold well due to the fact that they were to close to the price of the GT 500 without the muscle. Shelby will continue to build to many cars per year you can watch the values drop. I realize that they are in business to make money and build cars. This is easy to understand since I work at a Ford dealer for over twenty years. They just need to build what the public demand is and not try to force out to many cars such as the Shelby GT which now has huge rebates on them to try and make them go away.

The same can be said for the new GT 500 the last one I had it sat on our showroom for four months. Lets face it in this economy neither Ford or Shelby needs to put out more vehicles that do not sell well.

HertzShelby

I believe Shelby GT (GT-H) sales (and rentals) would have done better if the model had been branded Shelby GT-350 (GT-350H) Cobra. People who remember the vintage GT-350s immediately think "GT-350(GT-350H)" when they see a Shelby GT (GT-H). I believe the "aura effect" from the brand recognition would have boosted sales of GT 500s as well.

I think Shelby GT program should go away since they still have brand new 2007 and 2008 models on dealer lots.

No, worry the SGT is gone, only 2007 and 2008.

They never sold well due to the fact that they were to close to the price of the GT 500 without the muscle.

No, not actually, the reason they did not sell well, was do to the misinformed and illinformed salespeople and dealers as your self.

The same can be said for the new GT 500 the last one I had it sat on our showroom for four months. Lets face it in this economy neither Ford or Shelby needs to put out more vehicles that do not sell well.

HertzShelby

The economy certialy has an effect on all car sales, not just Shelby car sales, but the 2009 suffered from the fact that well informed buyers knew earlier than most that the car would be updated for the 2010 model year, both cosmetically and engineering-wise. Four months ago we didn't knwo details, but I think most of us knew something was brewing in the cauldron of Shelby magic. Therefore, unless someone just hated the 2010 updates, a 2009 wouldn't make sense as there is KR level power and substantial suspention upgrades as weld as the cockpit upgrades that permeate the entire Mustang line so that waiting and buying the newre model would make more sense to many people.

I believe Shelby GT (GT-H) sales (and rentals) would have done better if the model had been branded Shelby GT-350 (GT-350H) Cobra. People who remember the vintage GT-350s immediately think "GT-350(GT-350H)" when they see a Shelby GT (GT-H). I believe the "aura effect" from the brand recognition would have boosted sales of GT 500s as well.

Shelby GT is a Shelby GT...that's it, and it's fine just as it is!! Hopefully, we Shelby GT owners have the only ones that will ever be made.

As for another GT-350? Maybe, someday. It depends on the market. I still think that the GT-350 will be an EcoBoost V6 Mustang.

Shelby GT is a Shelby GT...that's it, and it's fine just as it is!! Hopefully, we Shelby GT owners have the only ones that will ever be made.

As for another GT-350? Maybe, someday. It depends on the market. I still think that the GT-350 will be an EcoBoost V6 Mustang.

Some purists may feel that the 319 hp small block V8 SGT is more closely related to the early GT-350s than a modern day 350+hp twin-turbocharged V6 Shelby Mustang. Don't criticize me for that opinion as I love the all V6 Mustangs and V6 Shelby Mustangs. If they do brand a new Shelby Mustang as a GT-350 I think it would be truer to form to be a small block V8 pushing at least 350 hp.

They never sold well due to the fact that they were to close to the price of the GT 500 without the muscle.

No, not actually, the reason they did not sell well, was do to the misinformed and illinformed salespeople and dealers as your self.

+1 I agree completely.

As for the SGT and GT500 being close to price, that has only been the case very recently.

I remember the GT500's selling for nearly $100k at the same time SGT's were going for around $45k. Hardly a comparison.

The SGT filled a very specific demand - an affordable performance Mustang with the Shelby name on it. Had they called it a GT350, I'm sure it would have sold better than it did, regardless of the idiot dealers that still wouldn't have known what it was.

Since these cars ARE discontinued, they will only go up in value from here, especially with the 05-09 body style gone for good.

Ken

I am not a car dealer, I am a soldier. I did not type what appears to be a quote from me. I think there was a typo in the quote. No big deal.

I do agree with the notion that it was more closely priced to a GT 500 while closely powered to a Mustang GT. I agree with SWEDE that the SGT should have had more horsepower, especially for the price. All that said, and even with "the worst scoop and stripes" around, this car is still a neck breaker, a traffic stopper, a pleasure to drive and a dream come true.

• 3 months later...

"They never sold well due to the fact that they were to close to the price of the GT 500 without the muscle.

No, not actually, the reason they did not sell well, was do to the misinformed and illinformed salespeople and dealers as your self."

Dealers that had no Idea was a HUGE part of the Shelby GT's not selling. Any time I see an SGT on a dealer's lot, I stop and look at it. I'm very interested in the CSM#, options, condition, and the whole car in general. Dealers still have no clue for the most part what the Shelby GT is. Just last week I stopped by the Ford dealer in Geneva, NY and noticed there was an 08 SGT on the showroom floor. It only had 2200 miles on it. A guy traded it in on a 2010 Roush 427R that was Grabber Blue. The salesman that approached me pulled the usual salesman BS trying to sell me something he knew nothing about. FIRST, he didn't even know it was a Shelby. SECOND, he didn't know what year it was, THIRD, he knew nothing about the options, production numbers, limited colors, stripes, hood scoop, etc....NOTHING!!! The whole time I was giving him an SGT lesson, I was getting more and more annoyed that he knew nothing about it and yet his arrogance was persistant. The LAST thing he said before I walked out is that he thought the car was signed or built by some lady!!!!! I was furious with his lack of knowledge about anything having to do with Shelby Autos, the cars, the history. Before I left, I made a comment about how upset I was and he very arrogantly replied saying that he's an expert on the Ford trucks only.

Anyway!!! The dealers knowing next to nothing about our cars was probably the biggest factor in the sales issue.

"They never sold well due to the fact that they were to close to the price of the GT 500 without the muscle.

No, not actually, the reason they did not sell well, was do to the misinformed and illinformed salespeople and dealers as your self."

Dealers that had no Idea was a HUGE part of the Shelby GT's not selling. Any time I see an SGT on a dealer's lot, I stop and look at it. I'm very interested in the CSM#, options, condition, and the whole car in general. Dealers still have no clue for the most part what the Shelby GT is. Just last week I stopped by the Ford dealer in Geneva, NY and noticed there was an 08 SGT on the showroom floor. It only had 2200 miles on it. A guy traded it in on a 2010 Roush 427R that was Grabber Blue. The salesman that approached me pulled the usual salesman BS trying to sell me something he knew nothing about. FIRST, he didn't even know it was a Shelby. SECOND, he didn't know what year it was, THIRD, he knew nothing about the options, production numbers, limited colors, stripes, hood scoop, etc....NOTHING!!! The whole time I was giving him an SGT lesson, I was getting more and more annoyed that he knew nothing about it and yet his arrogance was persistant. The LAST thing he said before I walked out is that he thought the car was signed or built by some lady!!!!! I was furious with his lack of knowledge about anything having to do with Shelby Autos, the cars, the history. Before I left, I made a comment about how upset I was and he very arrogantly replied saying that he's an expert on the Ford trucks only.

Anyway!!! The dealers knowing next to nothing about our cars was probably the biggest factor in the sales issue.

How could you NOT know it was Shelby, it says "SHELBY" all over it? And 'built by some lady'? Man, that's funny. :lol:

I think Ford's complete lack of marketing for our cars did a number on sales as well, but dealers like the one you just described did the SGT no favors.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

The adm's were still on the GT500's when I got mine for 40.5k. Some of the best money I ever spent. All the talk about what its worth meant nothing, enjoyment of the car is what matters...buy what you want.

I chose a SGT over a GT500 as I just like the SGT better for me...

The sales of the SGT were probably not as great as it is an "enthusiasts car" not a "gonna get me a Shelby car". It is not as easy to live with as a more friendlier suspended car and people buy HP numbers, not performance in corners in showrooms...Hence the many who feel/felt the car was underpowered (it was not in my opinion).

Car salesmen are not always well informed, it took me 3 dealers to realize fully what the SGT is, one GM (who lost the sale) scolded a young kid salesman for opening the hood for me...(I usually wear t-shirts and jeans...the Mercedes dealer lost a sale as well)

I found dealers to be kinda ill informed in general about all Mustangs except the dealer I bought my car from. Good help is hard to find these days.

The adm's were still on the GT500's when I got mine for 40.5k. Some of the best money I ever spent. All the talk about what its worth meant nothing, enjoyment of the car is what matters...buy what you want.

I chose a SGT over a GT500 as I just like the SGT better for me...

The sales of the SGT were probably not as great as it is an "enthusiasts car" not a "gonna get me a Shelby car". It is not as easy to live with as a more friendlier suspended car and people buy HP numbers, not performance in corners in showrooms...Hence the many who feel/felt the car was underpowered (it was not in my opinion).

Car salesmen are not always well informed, it took me 3 dealers to realize fully what the SGT is, one GM (who lost the sale) scolded a young kid salesman for opening the hood for me...(I usually wear t-shirts and jeans...the Mercedes dealer lost a sale as well)

I found dealers to be kinda ill informed in general about all Mustangs except the dealer I bought my car from. Good help is hard to find these days.

This is in dealerships across the spectrum. When it comes to the Shelby brand, it can be just as tricky as with other niche automobiles.

I would agree 100%

• 2 months later...

Archived