TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Big brake Stillen rotors

I know there are lots of brake posts on the forum, but I have a quick question for anyone with experience: Has anyone tried the one-piece drilled/slotted rotors from Stillen? I am planning to upgrade my brakes to the 4-pot Brembo kit from the GT500. I am thinking of using snazzy drilled/slotted rotors and street pads for normal driving and swapping out for the solid stock rotors with race pads for track use. The Stillen rotors look to be a pretty good deal (the other option is real Brembo rotors or DBA, both of which are pricier). Any thoughts on the Stillen rotors? Or on my brake plans generally? BTW, I also am looking at the offerings from Baer, AP Racing, and Griggs. The Ford Racing Brembo kit is the current winner because it is so darned cost-effective.

Thanks, and great forum,

Blaise

We have a new 4on4 Brake kit coming out for the S197 Mustang.

$3600 does the entire vehicle, front and rear, comes with parking brake, SS lines, pads, everything..

It will be available in 8-12 weeks, and we are taking orders now.

And they WORK!!! You can see the quality of the brakes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgFX2yabow

I'll post a press release here in a few days.

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

post-22916-1240864739_thumb.jpg

post-22916-1240864739_thumb.jpg

$3600 does the entire vehicle, front and rear, comes with parking brake, SS lines, pads, everything..

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

They better work for that coin you can get Shelby PP brakes and keep the pedigree going. I mean that is a nice set up but @ $3600 semolians you better be a track dog and care nothing about brand. Am I wrong here?

They better work for that coin you can get Shelby PP brakes and keep the pedigree going. I mean that is a nice set up but @ $3600 semolians you better be a track dog and care nothing about brand. Am I wrong here?

I think its one of the best priced kits available. Am I wrong? 4 piston calipers on all four wheels. I've seen other kits for $2500-$5000 just for the fronts.

Colin

I think its one of the best priced kits available. Am I wrong? 4 piston calipers on all four wheels. I've seen other kits for $2500-$5000 just for the fronts.

Colin

Are these any noisier than comparable branded brake kits?

Ken

Griggs is not a brand to pass on too quickly as they have their own pedigree. For all for corners and the quality you receive from Griggs, $3600 is pretty nice deal. There is nothing wrong with the Shelby Baers (or the Stillen rotors); they are vast improvement over stock and look great but I would drop the coin on Griggs set-up in a heartbeat of I had it because of the race proven performance.

Colin, is there really any advantage with slotted, drilled, dimpled rotor? I've always read that slotted is ideal with drilled and dimpled being more for looks as they tend to ware out the pads quicker. Any truth to this?

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

Awesome video! You where braking significantly later then anyone else. Will these brakes fit the stock SGT wheel?

Good choice on the Brembos Ive seen alot of tests on brakes and the Brembos are no slouch Im not a fan of baer brakes its a personal call 6 pots are probably overkill for the average track day and daily driver, and the price$$$$ you will be happy with the Brembos they are the best bang for the buck.....

I am sure the Griggs stuff is great. The only problem is that spending $3600 on brakes alone leaves less $$ for the Griggs suspension I plan next :)

But since we are talking Griggs...what sizes are the rotors and pads? How much would it be to get another set of rotors and a set of race pads?

Collin,

I think you are an adrenalin junkie. Great driving, you got bigger kahunas than most. So did Ken pee his pants or what? he didn't do much talking until you stopped.

I know there are lots of brake posts on the forum, but I have a quick question for anyone with experience: Has anyone tried the one-piece drilled/slotted rotors from Stillen? I am planning to upgrade my brakes to the 4-pot Brembo kit from the GT500. I am thinking of using snazzy drilled/slotted rotors and street pads for normal driving and swapping out for the solid stock rotors with race pads for track use. The Stillen rotors look to be a pretty good deal (the other option is real Brembo rotors or DBA, both of which are pricier). Any thoughts on the Stillen rotors? Or on my brake plans generally? BTW, I also am looking at the offerings from Baer, AP Racing, and Griggs. The Ford Racing Brembo kit is the current winner because it is so darned cost-effective.

Thanks, and great forum,

Blaise

My expierience with brakes

Stock SGT - Non existant , got me in an accident

14" Bear Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Calipers (Shelby) single piston - Took me a total rookie at Willow springs to heat them up , I have many track sessions on them now and their still solid , they are great , and they don't fade.

Stillen Drilled and Sloted Rotors and Pads for my Infiniti FX-35 - they were cheap $500 delivered to the door , easy to install , and perform well , but tons of brake dust and they don't last long.

Would be nice if the Griggs fit the 18" stock SGT wheels , I only put a couple thousand miles on my original , and still havum?????

ZDS

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

nice set up and great price :happy feet:

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

I know its a long shot, but I will ask anyway. Do they fit behind the stock 18" SGT wheel? :headscratch:

Would be nice if the Griggs fit the 18" stock SGT wheels , I only put a couple thousand miles on my original , and still havum?????

ZDS

I know its a long shot, but I will ask anyway. Do they fit behind the stock 18" SGT wheel? :headscratch:

:lurk:

• 2 weeks later...
We have a new 4on4 Brake kit coming out for the S197 Mustang...

:redcard: Not to hijack an already hijacked thread, but with respect to the OP, there are many happy customers running the Stillen Sport Rotors with the GT500 calipers. These are great for all but the more aggressive track day work, for which I recommend the slotted-only version. Both use castings that are not as soft as the OE rotors, which explains the reports of longer life.

Once a driver sustains rotor temps of over 1100°F at the track, it is time to look at a more serious upgrade. For that, the AP Racing 6-piston/4-piston front/rear brake system is unmatched in heat capacity, front/rear balance, pedal feel and driveability. It's a rock solid system using components from a company that has been around almost 100 years altogether. Since nearly all NASCAR teams (over 85%) run AP Racing at the heavy braking tracks, they are forced to stay on top of their game. Add in over 660 Formula 1 wins, plus dominance in some of the top racing categories all over the globe, and you could easily get the idea that they might be OK for even the most radically modified Mustangs.

As far as road car brakes go, you'll find AP Racing all over the upper portion of the Top Gear lap time list (Top Gear):

Gumpert Apollo 1.17.1 (AP Racing)

Ascari A10 1.17.3 (AP Racing)

Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear spoiler) 1.17.6 (AP Racing & Brembo components)

Pagani Zonda F Roadster 1.17.8 (AP Racing)

Caterham R500 1.17.9 (AP Racing)

Bugatti Veyron 1.18.3 (AP Racing)

Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4 (AP Racing)

Maserati MC12 1.18.9 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Ariel Atom 1.19.5 (Alcon)

Lamborghini LP560 1.19.5 (Brembo)

Ferrari Scuderia 1.19.7 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Nissan GT-R (R35) 1.19.7 (Brembo)

Lamborghini LP640 1.19.8 (Brembo)

Porsche Carerra GT 1.19.8 (Brembo)

Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4 (AP Racing & Brembo)

Ascari KZ1 1.20.7 (AP Racing)

Mercedes McLaren SLR 1.20.9 (AP Racing)

Ferrari 599GTB 1.21.2 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Ford GT 1.21.9 (Brembo)

Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3 (Brembo)

Corvette Z06 1.22.4 (PBR)

Noble M15 1.22.5 (AP Racing)

Murcielago 1.23.7 (Brembo)

Zonda 1.23.8 (AP Racing)

Koenigsegg 1.23.9 (AP Racing & Brembo)

Aston Martin DBS 1.23.93 (Brembo)

Veritas RS III 1.24.2 (TRW? Could be misprint. If TWR, they are made by AP Racing)

Prodrive P2 1.24.3

Audi R8 1.24.4 (Brembo)

TVR Sagaris 1.24.6 (AP Racing)

Mitsubishi Evo FQ400 1.24.8 (Brembo)

TVR Tuscan 1.24.8 (AP Racing)

Noble M400 1.25.0 (AP Racing)

Lotus Exige S 1.25.1 (AP Racing front / Brembo & AP Racing rear)

BMW M3 Saloon 1.25.3 (Ate)

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7 (Brembo)

Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8 (Brembo)

BMW Z4 M 1.26.0 (Ate)

Porsche Cayman 1.26.2 (Brembo)

Porsche 911 Carrera 2S 1.26.2 (Brembo)

Brabus Biturbo Roadster 1.26.2 (Brembo)

Lotus Exige 1.26.4 (AP Racing front / Brembo & AP Racing rear)

Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8 (PBR)

Lexus IS-F 1.26.8 (Brembo)

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG 1.26.9 (Brembo or Ate, depending on year)

Aston Martin Vanquish S 1.27.1 (AP Racing)

Aston Martin DB9 1.27.1 (Brembo)

Telsa Roadster 1.27.2 (AP Racing front / Brembo & AP Racing rear)

Porsche 911 GT3 1.27.2 (Brembo)

TVR 350C 1.27.5 (AP Racing)

BMW M3 CSL 1.28.0 (Ate)

Roush Mustang 1.28.0 (StopTech)

Marcos TSO GT2 1.28.2 (AP Racing)

Subaru WRX Sti 1.28.2 (Brembo)

Mitsubishi Evo X 1.28.22 (Brembo)

Dodge Viper SRT-10 1.28.5 (Brembo)

MG SV 1.28.6 (AP Racing)

Porsche 911 Carrera S 1.28.9 (Brembo)

Mitsubishi Evo VIII 1.28.9 (Brembo)

BMW Alpina Z8 1.29.0 (Ate)

Mercedes CL65 1.29.0 (Ate if current / Brembo if older)

VW Golf W12 1.29.6 (Brembo - RS4 front / Gallardo rear)

Alfa 3.7 GTA Autodelta 1.30.0 (AP Racing)

Ford Shelby GT500 1.30.0 (Brembo front / PBR rear)

(I'm sure the GT500's lap times would improve considerably had they tested with the AP Racing brakes!!!)

Now the short answer: Stillen and AP Racing have it sorted out and are improving their products daily. Some of the items cost a bit more, but if there was a way to make them this good for any less money -- they would.

Chris

:redcard: Not to hijack an already hijacked thread, but with respect to the OP, there are many happy customers running the Stillen Sport Rotors with the GT500 calipers. These are great for all but the more aggressive track day work, for which I recommend the slotted-only version. Both use castings that are not as soft as the OE rotors, which explains the reports of longer life.

Once a driver sustains rotor temps of over 1100°F at the track, it is time to look at a more serious upgrade. For that, the AP Racing 6-piston/4-piston front/rear brake system is unmatched in heat capacity, front/rear balance, pedal feel and driveability. It's a rock solid system using components from a company that has been around almost 100 years altogether. Since nearly all NASCAR teams (over 85%) run AP Racing at the heavy braking tracks, they are forced to stay on top of their game. Add in over 660 Formula 1 wins, plus dominance in some of the top racing categories all over the globe, and you could easily get the idea that they might be OK for even the most radically modified Mustangs.

As far as road car brakes go, you'll find AP Racing all over the upper portion of the Top Gear lap time list (Top Gear):

Gumpert Apollo 1.17.1 (AP Racing)

Ascari A10 1.17.3 (AP Racing)

Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear spoiler) 1.17.6 (AP Racing & Brembo components)

Pagani Zonda F Roadster 1.17.8 (AP Racing)

Caterham R500 1.17.9 (AP Racing)

Bugatti Veyron 1.18.3 (AP Racing)

Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4 (AP Racing)

Maserati MC12 1.18.9 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Ariel Atom 1.19.5 (Alcon)

Lamborghini LP560 1.19.5 (Brembo)

Ferrari Scuderia 1.19.7 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Nissan GT-R (R35) 1.19.7 (Brembo)

Lamborghini LP640 1.19.8 (Brembo)

Porsche Carerra GT 1.19.8 (Brembo)

Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4 (AP Racing & Brembo)

Ascari KZ1 1.20.7 (AP Racing)

Mercedes McLaren SLR 1.20.9 (AP Racing)

Ferrari 599GTB 1.21.2 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Ford GT 1.21.9 (Brembo)

Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3 (Ferrari/Brembo)

Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3 (Brembo)

Corvette Z06 1.22.4 (PBR)

Noble M15 1.22.5 (AP Racing)

Murcielago 1.23.7 (Brembo)

Zonda 1.23.8 (AP Racing)

Koenigsegg 1.23.9 (AP Racing & Brembo)

Aston Martin DBS 1.23.93 (Brembo)

Veritas RS III 1.24.2 (TRW? Could be misprint. If TWR, they are made by AP Racing)

Prodrive P2 1.24.3

Audi R8 1.24.4 (Brembo)

TVR Sagaris 1.24.6 (AP Racing)

Mitsubishi Evo FQ400 1.24.8 (Brembo)

TVR Tuscan 1.24.8 (AP Racing)

Noble M400 1.25.0 (AP Racing)

Lotus Exige S 1.25.1 (AP Racing front / Brembo & AP Racing rear)

BMW M3 Saloon 1.25.3 (Ate)

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7 (Brembo)

Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8 (Brembo)

BMW Z4 M 1.26.0 (Ate)

Porsche Cayman 1.26.2 (Brembo)

Porsche 911 Carrera 2S 1.26.2 (Brembo)

Brabus Biturbo Roadster 1.26.2 (Brembo)

Lotus Exige 1.26.4 (AP Racing front / Brembo & AP Racing rear)

Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8 (PBR)

Lexus IS-F 1.26.8 (Brembo)

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG 1.26.9 (Brembo or Ate, depending on year)

Aston Martin Vanquish S 1.27.1 (AP Racing)

Aston Martin DB9 1.27.1 (Brembo)

Telsa Roadster 1.27.2 (AP Racing front / Brembo & AP Racing rear)

Porsche 911 GT3 1.27.2 (Brembo)

TVR 350C 1.27.5 (AP Racing)

BMW M3 CSL 1.28.0 (Ate)

Roush Mustang 1.28.0 (StopTech)

Marcos TSO GT2 1.28.2 (AP Racing)

Subaru WRX Sti 1.28.2 (Brembo)

Mitsubishi Evo X 1.28.22 (Brembo)

Dodge Viper SRT-10 1.28.5 (Brembo)

MG SV 1.28.6 (AP Racing)

Porsche 911 Carrera S 1.28.9 (Brembo)

Mitsubishi Evo VIII 1.28.9 (Brembo)

BMW Alpina Z8 1.29.0 (Ate)

Mercedes CL65 1.29.0 (Ate if current / Brembo if older)

VW Golf W12 1.29.6 (Brembo - RS4 front / Gallardo rear)

Alfa 3.7 GTA Autodelta 1.30.0 (AP Racing)

Ford Shelby GT500 1.30.0 (Brembo front / PBR rear)

(I'm sure the GT500's lap times would improve considerably had they tested with the AP Racing brakes!!!)

Now the short answer: Stillen and AP Racing have it sorted out and are improving their products daily. Some of the items cost a bit more, but if there was a way to make them this good for any less money -- they would.

Chris

Mr. B,

You FINALLY decided to get yourself a username on this forum did ya :) Welcome ;)

Keep in touch will ya ;)

Page

You FINALLY decided to get yourself a username on this forum did ya :) Welcome ;)

Hey Page,

Thanks! Yeah, not just a lowly lurker... :salute: I've been trying to keep up on the various forums, but have little time these days as we've been very busy. But, I do like working with the Mustang guys.

We just helped a Mustang GT (not a GT500, but highly modified) customer with his brand new AP Racing setup that he took to Spring Mountain last weekend. Man, did he have a great time eating up Porsches! The only car he wasn't able to pass cleanly was one of the Radicals. He was on the guy so hard under braking that the Radical finally spun off! The Porsche guys asked him not to come back to their open track days (then why are they open???). It also seems the Lambo guys did not appreciate him blowing by their expensive Italian machines and offered up nothing but excuses (alignment settings wrong, need new tires, etc.). Cry me a river!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks a ton for all the info. A couple of questions: I noticed in the four and six piston front kits don't seem to include a dust shield...is that right? How about the rear kit?

I am thinking of four pistons up front and sticking with the stock PBR calipers in the rear for now. Would there be any disadvantage to do the rear four piston setup later and have four pistons all around? I.e., is brake balance taken into account in the four piston kits?

Thanks again,

Blaise

Hey Page,

Thanks! Yeah, not just a lowly lurker... :salute: I've been trying to keep up on the various forums, but have little time these days as we've been very busy. But, I do like working with the Mustang guys.

We just helped a Mustang GT (not a GT500, but highly modified) customer with his brand new AP Racing setup that he took to Spring Mountain last weekend. Man, did he have a great time eating up Porsches! The only car he wasn't able to pass cleanly was one of the Radicals. He was on the guy so hard under braking that the Radical finally spun off! The Porsche guys asked him not to come back to their open track days (then why are they open???). It also seems the Lambo guys did not appreciate him blowing by their expensive Italian machines and offered up nothing but excuses (alignment settings wrong, need new tires, etc.). Cry me a river!

Chris

Thanks a ton for all the info. A couple of questions: I noticed in the four and six piston front kits don't seem to include a dust shield...is that right? How about the rear kit?

I am thinking of four pistons up front and sticking with the stock PBR calipers in the rear for now. Would there be any disadvantage to do the rear four piston setup later and have four pistons all around? I.e., is brake balance taken into account in the four piston kits?

If you are referring to dust seals in the calipers, all of the road-going AP Racing calipers have those. Racing calipers do not. If you mean the OE sheet metal splash shields, they need to be removed as they do not clear the larger components. We need to move the rotor as far inboard as we can to get the most wheel clearance possible. If the splash shield is the only thing keeping us from moving the rotor in, it gets tossed.

The front 4-piston kit was developed for those not intending to upgrade the rear brakes. The effective change is very similar to the GT500 fronts vs. the standard GT fronts, which Ford shipped the same rears for each. However, there are a few customers who have upgraded the rears later. If the car has been lowered and on much stiffer springs, less weight transfers forward under braking and the rears can be asked to do more. This is even more so when additional downforce can be generated in the rear, such as when an effective wing or spoiler is used. Shock settings will also have an effect of how quickly weight is transferred forward.

In a nutshell, your 4P/4P setup intention should work, but it may require other mods to achieve your balance preference at speed. Of course, no two drivers agree on what that exact balance should be, now do they? I know one professional driver who sits in here in the corner office that prefers a bit more rear balance them I'm comfortable with! That's why they call it tuning (and why he is paid to drive and I, sadly, am not...).

Hey Page,

Chris

I'd like to add that the customer Chris is referring to was already using another company's 4 piston 14" front kit. He upgraded to the AP Racing 6 piston front and 4 piston rear and was very, very happy with the results. Obviously the Lambo, Porsche, and Radical drivers aren't so happy with his newest mod, but we love it! Maybe next time, the Radical should let the faster car pass :D I'm looking forward to hearing from him again after he's had more time to get used to the new brake setup.

Dan

Archived