TEAM SHELBY FORUM

08SGT0758 Exhaust Update

So I made it down to CS86 in Vegas for Mr. Shelby's Birthday Bash. That just happened to be my birthday weekend also! I did not have my SGT there, man was I bummed! I'd only spoke with everyone on TS Forum or on the phone, so needless to say, I didn't think I was going to get any track time with anything but my V6 Mustang rental car.

I was able to drive Jim Clark's '08 Kenne Bell GT/SC (If you wondered - Jim and I are related - we found that out through Team Shelby and the luck of owning a '08 Shelby GT) and "Lulu" Mac's '07 Shelby GT. (Special thank you to both of them for making that weekend one that I'll never forget! and for letting ME take their cars out on the track!!)

Most of what stood out to me was the exhaust note of each car. Some were bone stock, other's were very modified. Some sounded rather quiet, and other's made "thunder" that shook my ancestors. Which led me to realize that the stock SGT exhaust is actually rather quiet. For some, it's perfect - I'm just not one of them.

There was one car, a 2008 Vapor GT500 with black stripes and 20" Alcoas there. Every time that car would go by it was muisc to my ears! It was at that moment that I made up my mind I wanted THAT exhaust note for my SGT.

After a month or so of discussions and finding the owner of that car, learning of the MAC Performance "MMS Custom" and what it really involved, waiting on production/shipping, I finally got my new axle back exhaust installed.

This is my first attempt at making several video clips into one video - I'm a rookie at it - here ya go!!

YoutTube:

Stock manifolds / Stock Cats / Stock X-Pipe =======>

1st impressions?

Everyone was SO concerned about the cabin drone - I will admit - 65mph in 5th at about 1800 RPM you get a good "Solid" rumble from the exhaust which I rather prefer. None of the drone everyone has written about, and at 2000 RMP, it's gone completely and at cruising speeds, all you get is the perfect rumble, just about the same as the stock. At WOT though, it sounds EXACTLY how I wanted it to sound!

Seat of the pants dyno?

Believe it or not - I actually gained a little in the area of throttle response. The MAC mufflers are more free flowing than the stock mufflers (more of a straight through design) and thus allows more efficient flow which equals a nominal gain in HP/TQ that I could honestly feel, especially at higher RPMS.

Agree that the stock is a little quite compared to aftermarket. Your's sounds great. Good rumble but i have 410's so i would have different volume at different speeds than your's. You didn't seem like a rookie on the video. Good job and great sound.

Thanks for the kind words Trevor!!! Your car certainly has the muscle car growl now. You are the first of the 9 people that got these to post sound clips. Of the initial run of the 11 units (still have 2 left in stock if any one wants one of them..PM me) only one other went on a buddies SGT, but that was still with a slightly different baffle design that what we have now. Your car sounds perfect now, in my opinion too. So many baffle designs were tried and changed, using my own GT500 as a template to get the sound I wanted with out the popping with the long tube headers on my car. I tried both Corsa Sport and Touring, Magnaflow, Bassani, JBA, Flowmaster, and Borla and none sounded like I wanted. MAC was the only company willing to work with the baffle design to get the sound I was looking for. Even after being a dealer for these other companies for so long, none of the other companies thought there was enough of a market to change their design just for long tube header cars. So we worked for 6 months with different baffle lengths and angles before finally, in my opinion, perfecting the sound with out the poppiness or drone. MAC agreed to make these for me in 10 unit intervals (meaning 10 pairs at a time) without selling on their own. I have been happy to have such a relationship with them over the years, and many of their Cobra and Mustang intake, H-pipe, and Prochamber systems were developed using my cars as a test bed and mock up. The 05 and newer Mustang has the muffler so far back with only the tip after the muffler, it is alot harder to get the right sound, unlike 04 and older Mustang where the muffler is further forward with the tailpipe remiving and tuning the sound. I never thought that so many people who heard my car at the bash, wanted theirs to sound like mine, so I asked if they could duplicate them for me...as long as I order 10 sets at a time, and you are all willing to wait till we get to that figure, I can keep having them made. I never thought that so many people wanted these for their S-GTs, and even stock GT500's with stock manifolds too, but I have to admit, they sound and perform great on any 05+ Mustang I 've tried them on so far, with no complaints. I removed a local customer's KR's and put a set of these on his car and he loved them more than the KR's!!!

My newest endevor is trying to work with them on a muffler for Supercharged E55 Mercedes AMG models as all the competition is $2500+ for these cars!! The factory AMG mufflers are a weird shape and are heavy and restrictive, not to mention super quiet..

Here' s a clip of my GT500 with my modified MAC mufflers, Dynatech Racing 1/7/8 headers, Hi-flow cats, and my MMS catback. Car made 653 RWHP and had no drone on the freeway with 3.73's and is pretty quitet inside at any speed...

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/vap...OpenDriveby.flv

I have 2 sets of these modified axle backs if any one is interested $545 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states. Even on a stock GT500, SGT, or 05 and up Mustang, they sound awesome as you can see from Trevor's clip too. Once these last 2 sets are sold. I have to start a new list of people that want them as I need to order 10 sets at a time to have them made..

Alex

Congrats Treavor, they do sound really good on your SGT...probably the closest thing I've heard to going with a non-catted x pipe...too bad I'm out of a job right now or I'd sure be looking to get a set of those...

Trevor, Would have never guessed that was a rookie video, great job!

Alex, Trevor mention a performance improvement by the seat of his paints, any dyno numbers to back up any performance benefit with these music can?

Thanks,

J-

Here' s a clip of my GT500 with my modified MAC mufflers, Dynatech Racing 1/7/8 headers, Hi-flow cats, and my MMS catback. Car made 653 RWHP and had no drone on the freeway with 3.73's and is pretty quitet inside at any speed...

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/vap...OpenDriveby.flv

Man, I've listened to that twice. You've definitely got that sound pinned down. Probably not in my range anytime soon, but what would be the cost of that whole setup? Just curious. I think I have to settle with KR's and maybe an H-pipe at some point (hopefully this summer - I HAVE to make this thing louder), but what you have... man that's music to my ears!!

:burnout:

Ah Nuts---- never dynoed Trevor's car as he is in MN and I am in CA, but we did dyno my buddies Orange SGT on the same day, same temperature, same humidity, same cool down and picked up a solid 6-8 RWHP accross the board from 2500 RPM on up over his stock SGT mufflers and no other changes.

SicShelby----In my opinion, these sound much better and look much better than the KR's. I sell them for $545 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states. Have 2 sets left in stock, ready to ship. After that I have to order another 10 sets and wait for them to be built. I need at least 8 people to commit with deposits this time so I am not fronting the money to have them made up. PM me if you want one of the two left.

Alex

Ah Nuts---- never dynoed Trevor's car as he is in MN and I am in CA, but we did dyno my buddies Orange SGT on the same day, same temperature, same humidity, same cool down and picked up a solid 6-8 RWHP accross the board from 2500 RPM on up over his stock SGT mufflers and no other changes.

SicShelby----In my opinion, these sound much better and look much better than the KR's. I sell them for $545 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states. Have 2 sets left in stock, ready to ship. After that I have to order another 10 sets and wait for them to be built. I need at least 8 people to commit with deposits this time so I am not fronting the money to have them made up. PM me if you want one of the two left.

Alex

:mellow: :mellow: Unfortunately not a buy I will be making soon. This summer, though, *hopefully*. I'm beginning the quest for the right sound. And, I made the correction already, but I meant that the sound on the GT500 is perrrrfect. THAT'S what my end goal would be. Very good.

Thanks for the compliments!! This was worth every penny!

Like Alex was saying - this "MMS Custom" axle back was designed by MAC Performance using his GT500 as the building block. This axle back works for ANY Mustang - GT500, Shelby GT, Mustang GT alike. I now know that whatever changes I make to the exhaust going forward, it will just sound better and louder. I didn't realize just how LOUD Alex's Vapor GT500 was until I watched the video he posted.

If anyone has any questions or if you're interested in getting this axle back for your car - send me or Alex a PM! We'll get you the info!

This Axle back set up is only available from MMS directly and is not available off the shelf from MAC Performance.

Trevor

Well said Trevor!! With all the hype lately with the KR's, these are a very nice alternative that flow better and are not so boat like sounding like the KR's. Sound is such a personal preference, but I have yet to have anyone tell me they honestly do not like the sound of these!!

Alex

I don't know.. I know what they sound like on my GT500 (see my sound clip above) and Trevor's Shelby GT (again, see above, excellent video and sound clip he did) and what they sound like on a GT500 with the rest of the exhaust stock. I also put on another friends supercharged 06 GT with longtubes and it sounded great too and a friends SGT in AZ. Now he has longtubes too and loved the sound still, Hopefully he will get me some soundclips...keep this thread alive and keep checking back as new soundclips are posted...Happy Easter everyone!!

Alex

Sounds good Mikey. I will email you your tracking when shipped...only one set left!!

2Kmelat..

If you want to try a set of these, PM me... $545 shipped anywhere in the lower 48..only one set left as 1268 just bought the other set..also in PA!!! After this last set is gone, then I need to start a new list and start taking deposits for the next 10 to have them made up...

LOL...my neighbors call my Shelby the "God Of Thunder" I let one of my cop friends drive mine today and it scared the you know what out of him. He pulled over and said, "Alex, you take me for a ride instead, this car scares the Sh** out of me!!!" Luckily in front of my shop there are no side streets where someone can pull out, so i have a good 1/2 mile testing area. You can see it in my video..

Any of you that want the last set...PM me and its yours...then we will start a new list for the next ten...only one set left good in stock...my only request is we want sounds clips!!!! Trevor and me are the only ones of the last batch to post sound clips...(nudge to you that have these from me...feel guilty and get us sound clips!!!)

Alex

Went to the Knott's Berry Farm "Fabulous Ford Forever" show yesterday in Buena Park. 2 of the attendees there had my MMS mufflers that they got from me and loved them, but never sent me any sound clips. One car was all stock except for the axleback, the other was modded with headers and X-pipe...they both sounded great and they were very happy with them. I asked what mufflers they had before, and both of them had tried a multitude of mufflers like myself, including the much hyped "KR" which they took off too for these.

Alex

Alex

I´ll take the last set.

I post a sound clip when I get them on.

They will be on a Kenne Bell 2,8 stage 3 with a 3” pulley, American racing long tubes headers cattet x pipes and high flow cats.

Hope it´s going to sound good on the car. :shift:

What are the issues with the KR´s? :headscratch: I prefer a deeper rumble compared to a exhaust that screams.

Archived