TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Wheel and Tire Thread!

I am done with 20s. Mostly because of the weight - 20s are additional 10 lbs of unsprung weight. I did not realize how that would effect the ride.

I am putting GT500 replicas from American Muscle, machined face with black background. I will post some pics soon.

MM

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Louie that picture of your car with the drag radials is going on my wall...man that looks sweet!!!!

As for your street rubber do the 305's give you any rubbing issues...those fill up the wheelwell nicely and I bet help with the wheelspin? Thanks!

No rubbing issues even on New York Roads Tokico's set on 5. As far as grip they don't spin if you take off in 3rd gear!!

My Pax is at 12 psi 93 oct tune on mustang dyno 498rwhp with meth.

I "love" the 19-inch size for one of the reasons you mention: aesthetically the right size in dark wheels, which I prefer. Principally I "love" them because they perform well, and because they look good, resemble Minilites from the Golden Age (for me) of American racing, and they are a very limited edition.

I'd go to the GT500 18x9.5 for reasons of all-around usefulness and comfort. And economy. The 19-inch tires are lower profile and offer fewer choices, and are much more expensive, in the brand I got (Michelin). Today I see offers to sell the GT500 takeoff sets of four wheels and Goodyear tires for about two-thirds of what the Michelins cost. I'd like to have the inch-wider rims that, from my limited experience driving GT400s, seem to work well without a major decrement in ride quality, which is increasingly important to my old bones.

I don't "need" the minor increments in performance, and the major added caché of the PJ wheels and Pilot Sport tires as much as I did a couple of years ago. Hate to make the sacrifice, but priorities change.

Big, dark wheels "look" the same or similar size to smaller, bright wheels. If there were an 18x9.5 "Minilite-inspired" wheel in white (like the original PJ Trans Am Mustang), that'd be ideal, my view.

Frank,

It sounds like you and I have very similar tastes in wheels. Check out the Dynatek Dynasport wheels at www.dynatekracing.com . They come in 18 x 9.5 and have custom colors. These are the closest thing I've found to the minilite look that come in 18 and larger sizes. Expensive but they have the Trans Am look.

Jim

Thanks, Jim and GT500-07. Those wheels do look good. I'll see what I can get for my PJs, and for the Fanblades with RE-01Rs. I'm not much of a packer-and-shipper, so it may take a while for the right local buyer to find me ...

Evey day shoes

255x35x20 nitto razor 20x9

305x35x20 nitto dr razor 20x11

CIMG2856.jpg

Pictures from the back? Ever consider going a wider wheel for daily? I'm going with 18x11 rims also and was hoping to put a 335 out back but thinking its gonna rub badly. Thanks!

I am done with 20s. Mostly because of the weight - 20s are additional 10 lbs of unsprung weight. I did not realize how that would effect the ride.

I am putting GT500 replicas from American Muscle, machined face with black background. I will post some pics soon.

MM

front_wheel.jpg

rear_wheels.jpg

new_wheel.jpg

new_wheels1.jpg

new_wheels3.jpg

new_wheels2.jpg

new_wheels_4.jpg

front_wheel.jpg

rear_wheels.jpg

new_wheel.jpg

new_wheels1.jpg

new_wheels3.jpg

new_wheels2.jpg

new_wheels_4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Chrome 18 x 9 American Shelby Redlines with 255/45ZR18 Good Year F1 Supercar

40mm offset put the extra 1/2 inch width to the outside with no clearance or rubbing issues.

Really fills out the fender wells...Looks like CS40, Shelby Cap and "Shelby" engraved on outer rim.

Nice offset wheel look with spokes recessed in from edge of rim

post-21477-1245323163_thumb.jpg

post-21477-1245323180_thumb.jpg

post-21477-1245323163_thumb.jpg

post-21477-1245323180_thumb.jpg

Bump anybody got more pics...I am thinking GT500 take off brakes and some wheels? Post the pics if you got them guys....thanks for all your posts....

http://www.rocketracingwheels.com/products...-muscle-wheels/

I am digging these today...haha

Are you sick of spinning and going sideways? Nittos really hookup and your gone like a rocket, as hard as I try its impossible to get the car to go sideways once you are moving.

• 1 month later...

Track Day set up-

Steeda Ultralites 18X9.5 w/245x40X18's BFG R1's

P7120996.jpg

P7181067.jpg

Street/Daily driver-

CS69 20X9 w/255x35x20's Nitto NT05's

P7030920.jpg

P6140883.jpg

P6140879.jpg

I am still not any further on the spare tire issue. Does anyone have a 17X5 space saver spare that comes in a GT to measure? I just want to know what the diameter is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived