TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Heads

Those FRPP heads and cams were my direction.... Check out Blow By Racing for heads as well..... You slap these on with those cams you have and I'm betting you're in the 350 range..........

I'd hope so! I'm already at 337 dude.. The stage 3 heads are rated up to 50 HP.. The heads pictured are the ones built by MMR..

I know I quote them a lot around here, but I've honestly never used their stuff yet! LOL

Their heads and intake just look so nice... ;)

Ken

I actually spoke with those guys when I was doing homework to N/A or S/C. I think I recall liking their stage 2 head. They seemed very knowledgable.... Probably worth a visit though to get into more Q&A, they were too far for me though...

I've spoken to them a few times also. They were originally going to do my cam install, since I couldn't find anyone local. Their quote was great for that job.

These heads are just so expensive! They're 'on sale' for $2500. :doh:

Ken

I'd hope so! I'm already at 337 dude.. The stage 3 heads are rated up to 50 HP.. The heads pictured are the ones built by MMR..

I know I quote them a lot around here, but I've honestly never used their stuff yet! LOL

Their heads and intake just look so nice... ;)

Ken

MMR has alot to offer. I have their Stage II heads on the GT500/SCJ that Tasca built.

Has anyone installed aftermarket heads on their 3V?

If so, which heads did you go with and why? Stage 1, 2, 3?

What kind of gains did you realize on the dyno?

I dream of these heads all too often. ;)

Ken

Ken I have the MMR stage 2.They would not recommend the stage 3 for the street. I'm going to FFP tomorrow and get a custom tune. We started it up last night and it is Bad ass. I'll have to have you record the sound for me and post it on here. Carl

I've spoken to them a few times also. They were originally going to do my cam install, since I couldn't find anyone local. Their quote was great for that job.

Ken

Ken, have you looked at FRPP, JDM and Livernois ?

Ken

if you really want the MMR heads try Jared at Lethal, he may be able to get them a little cheaper

Ken

Ken I have the MMR stage 2.They would not recommend the stage 3 for the street. I'm going to FFP tomorrow and get a custom tune. We started it up last night and it is Bad ass. I'll have to have you record the sound for me and post it on here. Carl

Hey Carl I didn't realize you did these heads! Your car will be a great example for me to compare for sure.

I'll definitely post any vid clips you want. Let's meet up soon. I can't wait to see how your new engine turned out!

Ken

"Those FRPP heads and cams were my direction.... Check out Blow By Racing for heads as well..... You slap these on with those cams you have and I'm betting you're in the 350 range..........

"

"I'd hope so! I'm already at 337 dude.. The stage 3 heads are rated up to 50 HP.. The heads pictured are the ones built by MMR..

Their heads and intake just look so nice... "

Are you guys both talking crank HP or RWHP or one of each?

"Those FRPP heads and cams were my direction.... Check out Blow By Racing for heads as well..... You slap these on with those cams you have and I'm betting you're in the 350 range..........

"

"I'd hope so! I'm already at 337 dude.. The stage 3 heads are rated up to 50 HP.. The heads pictured are the ones built by MMR..

Their heads and intake just look so nice... "

Are you guys both talking crank HP or RWHP or one of each?

RWHP

The advertised gains for these heads is referring to crank HP however.

Hey Carl I didn't realize you did these heads! Your car will be a great example for me to compare for sure.

I'll definitely post any vid clips you want. Let's meet up soon. I can't wait to see how your new engine turned out!

Ken

Ken Kieth suggested that I trailer my SGT up to his shop so he can tune it so I can put the 500 miles on it. Right now it won't idle when it gets warm. Carl

Ken Kieth suggested that I trailer my SGT up to his shop so he can tune it so I can put the 500 miles on it. Right now it won't idle when it gets warm. Carl

I had the same problem after I had my cams installed. I called Doug at Bamachips and he emailed me a new file right away that took care of it.

It may be worth a phone call to him, if you don't have the time to trailer all the way back up the 80. Give me a call if you need any info or help!

Ken

I had the same problem after I had my cams installed. I called Doug at Bamachips and he emailed me a new file right away that took care of it.

It may be worth a phone call to him, if you don't have the time to trailer all the way back up the 80. Give me a call if you need any info or help!

Ken

Ken, Keith said he would e-mail me a file If it was a big problem to trailer it. We have a nice car trailer and it's only about an hour away and I not going to take the chance that I might hurt the engine with all the $$$$$$ I've spend on this engine. I have a appointment tomorrow at 1:00. I can hardly wait to dive it. Ken thank you very much for the offer to help. Carl

• 2 weeks later...
FRPP claims a total of 60 RWHP for the Hot Rod Cams, Long Tube Headers, and the CNC heads. That would raise our cars to about 335 RWHP or about 380 flywheel HP. Interesting. But still pricey compared to HP to the dollar for a Supercharger.

These MMR stage 2 heads are good for 40 HP alone. The Comp stage 2 cams are good for another 40 HP. Most long tubes net another 20 HP.

So that's 40 more than the stuff from FRPP. $ to $, I think you'd end up in about the same range as most superchargers, if you were to do a few other standard bolt ons.

The problem, of course, is always going to be getting that smog cert in a few years. But where there's a will... ;)

Ken

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the necropost...I have been searching the tech forum for some info on heads and this is one of the better posts I found to reply to. It looks like some people had experience with the listed heads or were on the verge of purchasing at the time of the last post a few years back.

So here is the question; but a bit of background first: I own 08SGT0645, she has under 17,500 miles, I have made no significant mods to the engine thus far. I am currently working overseas as a contractor so I have some money for mods when I get back.

I am going to stay N/A.

Yes I know the arguments for N/A vs blower and bang for buck etc. The reason is that my goal is modest, between 325-375 RWHP and engine longevity without going forged. I am also looking for the good lopey sound at idle. To be honest, I will spend significantly more time listening to the car than finding the top of the HP/TQ curve on the street or track. That being said, I would like to know that some good HP is there when I want to play. The one time she was dyno'ed was a rainy humid day and she hit 278 RWHP so I think what I am working toward is feasible. I plan on driving the car for a few decades so reliability is paramount for me.

My definite engine mods are:

-FRPP 62mm TB

-FRPP composite intake

-Long tube headers; probably keep an x pipe but if price is better for an H pipe then i'm fine with it.

-FRPP KR mufflers

-Steeda UDP

So that takes care of what I know I am getting or already have, the big question now are heads and cams. As stated I want the lopey idle which pushes me toward FRPP Hot Rod cams or a Comp Cams Mutha Thumper. My only reservation about the Comp Cams are the cam phaser lockouts and how they will affect drivability overall. The FRPPs are a simple drop in replacement comparatively.

-In terms of cams here is what I cannot find via the threads; does a cam like a Stage 2/3 from various manufacturers still have the 'lope' I am looking for or is it more of an HP mod?

-Does the loss of the VCT with cam phaser lockouts significantly affect drivability on the street?

With heads, I am facing the same issues. I have looked at numerous companies from FRPP to MMR to Livernois etc. I am leaning toward a Stage 2 or CNC ported type from any of them and right now MMR Stage 2 is in the lead. Certainly they are pretty much the most expensive but as I said before I want reliability and I have read very few write ups about quality issues with them versus others.

-The question becomes; with a lopey cam to get the sound I want, what head matches up best for reliability and to maximize HP? Looking for answers/comments on things like a Stage 2 or 3 or hi flow etc and most importantly.....WHY?

I appreciate the people who are brand loyal and say 'I don't like x brand....' and that is all you get in the post, but there is no info as to why you don't like them, was it fitment, quality, customer service etc. Those are the types of feedback I would appreciate.

And yes, though I didn't mention it earlier, I plan on doing all the mods at one time and when it is all installed I will be getting a new tune to tie it all together.

thanks in advance for any help.

-

Ken, the author of the original post would advise you to steer clear of MMR. If I recall correctly he had nothing but issues with them. You might look into Brenspeed and the Detroit Rockers for Cams.

I've had the same ambitions as you with my SGT but planned to go with all Ford parts with the exception being the headers.

From a cam perspective, I can absolutely tell you that my experience with the FRPP Hot Rod Cams has exceeded all my expectations. The combination I have on my 07SGT with ARH LT's, X-Pipe, and KR mufflers is awesome.

I think the FRPP cams are a perfect fit ---- plus it's a Ford Racing product which is important to me....

El Shelby/Stewarbc,

thanks for the replies and info. I have seen you two respond to numerous posts and the information is always well-informed and knowledgeable so thanks for replying. Always much better than the one sentence declarations of something 'sucking' or 'not sucking'.

I will PM Ken about the MMR heads if he does not respond by chance to the thread. I have looked at the Detroit Rocker cams and they are certainly in consideration. I simply have not been able to find much objective information about them and what their owners thought good and bad. I think my biggest drawback to any cams that lockout the phasers is simply that she will be driven more on the street than anything and I am still researching gain vs loss overall between the types of cams.

That is good to hear about the FRPP Cams, LT Headers and KR mufflers....do you have a sound clip? What are you running on the induction side? Is it stock for the throttle body and intake or have you made any upgrades there as well? I have heard some good things about AR headers and will spend some more time researching them too. Lucky for me, time to research is not is short supply at this point.

thanks again,

Steve

Steve, here's a hokey Youtube video....... trouble is, the 07SGT setup sounds soooooooo good in person and clips don't do exhaust justice. (you can go crazy listening to them online).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNJwFS3CPTw

Throttle body - stock

Intake - stock

You will find positive information on ARH headers. ThI think they are a perfect fit for these cars too, however, I also love Kooks as well. So, I have the best of both worlds. ARH on one, Kooks on the other. Now, the Kooks setup has the Pypes Pype Bombs and....oh man, oh man.....it's a loud beast. (but I love it).

I suggest you read these threads:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1009_ford_racing_three_valve_intake_manifold_testing/viewall.html

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78987-what-would-you-add-for-the-most-bang-for-the-buck/?&hl=%20frpp%20%20cams

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78227-going-for-400-hp-on-sgt-naturally-aspirated/page-4?&

Steve, here's a hokey Youtube video....... trouble is, the 07SGT setup sounds soooooooo good in person and clips don't do exhaust justice. (you can go crazy listening to them online).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNJwFS3CPTw

Throttle body - stock

Intake - stock

You will find positive information on ARH headers. ThI think they are a perfect fit for these cars too, however, I also love Kooks as well. So, I have the best of both worlds. ARH on one, Kooks on the other. Now, the Kooks setup has the Pypes Pype Bombs and....oh man, oh man.....it's a loud beast. (but I love it).

I suggest you read these threads:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1009_ford_racing_three_valve_intake_manifold_testing/viewall.html

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78987-what-would-you-add-for-the-most-bang-for-the-buck/?&hl=%20frpp%20%20cams

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78227-going-for-400-hp-on-sgt-naturally-aspirated/page-4?&

Thank you for the video of your SGT. I have seen that video when I was scouring YouTube to listen to cammed SGTs, I recognized the license plate. It does sound good, the hard part is trying to find cars similar to what I was considering.I had noted your mods when I saw the video as being right in that ballpark. Thanks again. The articles were good info also, I actually have the MMFF magazine with that article at home and I could remember reading it bit no specifics. I do like FRPP products and they certainly go with these cars in particular, I have just read a few articles and threads on other forums about quality control issues with them. I take everything with a grain of salt and certainly pay attention to the writers style when they provide feedback. There just seemed to be a few different examples of quality issues with the FRPP heads.

I had also read thru the threads as well and there is good info there. I need to look up the American Racing headers and get some more info on them as well. Quick question, do your LTH have any clearance issues?

Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it.

Steve

Ken doesn't come by to often but I suspect he'll respond to your PM.

Here is the thread on his build:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/50711-mmr-forged-50-stroker-build/?hl=heads

Thanks much for the info. I have read different parts of that thread based on different search strings but actually sat down today and read it from beginning to end. I certainly see the issues that Ken had with MMR, and a lot of it looked like mod work he had them do for him and their failure to send him correct parts. I will definitely take that into consideration, thanks again.

Steve

Steve, yes, that's my 07SGT in the video. Again, not a great video ----

I did not and have not experienced any clearance issues(installation or underneath) with the LT's(Kooks or ARH's). I also have their X-pipe and high flow cats with each too. With that stated, when driving, I always take great care to watch out for bumps or turning into parking lots with inclines just to be sure....

I am very satisfied with each setup.....with the cams, LT's, and tune, I went from ~280whp to ~325whp. However, the other non-HP gain stuff like the sound, lopey idle, was huge.

Steve, yes, that's my 07SGT in the video. Again, not a great video ----

I did not and have not experienced any clearance issues(installation or underneath) with the LT's(Kooks or ARH's). I also have their X-pipe and high flow cats with each too. With that stated, when driving, I always take great care to watch out for bumps or turning into parking lots with inclines just to be sure....

I am very satisfied with each setup.....with the cams, LT's, and tune, I went from ~280whp to ~325whp. However, the other non-HP gain stuff like the sound, lopey idle, was huge.

That is great to hear about the clearance issues (none to speak of), I had heard that some applications hung below the car significantly. I am much more aware NOW of driving around low stuff.....long story short, I was driving with my son and did not see a parking lot 'island' nearby us and drove over it to the tune of lots of crunching sounds. Luckily we were headed to use a lift and I inspected the underneath. No major issues. My son still does not let me live it down.

That is really just what I am looking for in terms of sound and HP gain. Again, for me nothing earth-shattering but I would like a good bump. Thanks for all your advice and help.

Steve

Archived