TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Lower Grill Too Long?

I just received a new lower chromed grill from SPP for my SGT. But, the horizontal fins seem to be just slightly longer than the lower opening. I tried flipping it every way I can think of, but the fins will not fit inside of the vertical black plastic pieces on each side of the lower opening. I can center it so that the fins are slightly behind the vertical pieces on each side. I can't believe that is how it suppose to fit. Is it? Am I doing something wrong here? Usually when so confronted I adjust by hammer or other persuader, but there's not enough room for that here. It looks like it should be a real easy install. Any ideas?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just received a new lower chromed grill from SPP for my SGT. But, the horizontal fins seem to be just slightly longer than the lower opening. I tried flipping it every way I can think of, but the fins will not fit inside of the vertical black plastic pieces on each side of the lower opening. I can center it so that the fins are slightly behind the vertical pieces on each side. I can't believe that is how it suppose to fit. Is it? Am I doing something wrong here? Usually when so confronted I adjust by hammer or other persuader, but there's not enough room for that here. It looks like it should be a real easy install. Any ideas?

My advice is to take the entire front fascia off then test fit it like that. The grill should "pop" into place, but as we all know a little persuading is needed on most car parts.

Humm....doesn't sound right to me!

:headscratch:

It may bent fgrom shipping....straightened them would make it longer. Mine fit perfectly. The tabs had to be flatened to fit the "rear" of the front fascia so that the holes, nuts and bolts could be done.

I'm working on installing my lower PIAA/Bezel today and I might be jumping the gun here, i have one side done and I took my lower grill to see how it lines up and it looks like my lower grill runs a little big and does not slip in...hmmm..I''ll keep you updated tomorrow

I'm working on installing my lower PIAA/Bezel today and I might be jumping the gun here, i have one side done and I took my lower grill to see how it lines up and it looks like my lower grill runs a little big and does not slip in...hmmm..I''ll keep you updated tomorrow

Did you just receive it from the last batch? Mine just arrived Thursday.

I don't know in mm. But across the front, following the curve, it is just slightly less than 22 1/8". That is the longest measurement. All of the horizonal pieces are the same length.

Did you have any luck with your lower grille? I got mine today and am having the same issue of being too long. There is no way it is going to fit. I too got the chrome one out of the last batch that was on backorder. When I inquired last week when the grille would arrive I was told they had some damage from the supplier in the shipping process. I would appreciate any more info that you may have.

Thanks

Leroy

I called SPP on Thursday to ask about my black version and mentioned the size issues and was told no one had reported that. If you're having an issue call SPP immediately so it can be taken care of.

Thanks I will give them a call Monday. I did measure the grille and it measured 22in across so maybe my opening needs some modification. Would anyone be so kind to measure to lower grille molding so I can see where my problem lies?

Thanks

Leroy

Well I tried putting mine in today and it's too long..The outter curves don't line up with the bezels and I really had to get creative and cut and drill out one side to fit correct...I'm trying to attach them to the new bolts from the bezel....The pre drilled hole in the lower grill matches to nothing for use to tie down....

Should I still call it in?

FYI My lower grill is polished.

Well I tried putting mine in today and it's too long..The outter curves don't line up with the bezels and I really had to get creative and cut and drill out one side to fit correct...I'm trying to attach them to the new bolts from the bezel....The pre drilled hole in the lower grill matches to nothing for use to tie down....

Should I still call it in?

FYI My lower grill is polished.

Please!

They recently switch to a new vendor and I suspect there is a tooling issue.

Called today, there are looking into the problem and talking to the vendor. Also said they were going to try and track down other orders. Final state they will get back to me, they were aware due to forum and one phone call prior to mine.

Thanks all!

Of course this may mean mine is delayed more... :doh: but with the weather and all it's not like I was going to install this week!

I'm glad to hear SAI is checking. I'd rather have mine delayed more (even though the weather is great and I'd love to fill up that hole) than have to return it. I have to admit I've wondered a couple times if I should have kept the polished one.

After reading forum called Shelby parts first thing before they send mine out , which is still on back order, thanks to all all this forum it helps to avoid problems said mine will be coorrect before shipping Bruce

Archived