TEAM SHELBY FORUM

There's a New Pony in Grabbers Stable

Grabber

David 2013

Its official David has graduated from High School. He could have graduated last year, but he choose to take advantage of a program called “Running Start” which is offered through the Battle Ground School District. This Program has allowed David to attend Clark College for the last 2 years. His College GPA is 3.51. This effort has put him well on way to earning an Associate’s Degree and he will pick up his last 5 credits of math after he returns from his Army National Guard training.

That’s right; David enlisted in the Army National Guard last summer at age 17. He scored in the top 7% on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test (ASVAB). This score allowed him to select just about any job that the Army National Guard has to offer. He selected to be trained as a Human Intelligence Collector (35M).

David has been enrolled in the Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP) since last summer and has been attending week end drills once a month. They have been training him to be a soldier and he has been earning paychecks doing it. His college credits earned him the Rank of E-3 Private First Class.

He ships out June 3rd for Boot camp at the base in Oklahoma at Fort SILL. After Boot camp he will be going to Fort Huachuca in Arizona. There he will start his initial training for Human Intelligence Collector (35M).

Every life makes a difference. David has blessed each one of our lives in ways that apart from him would not be as full as they are today. He is smart, witty, respectful, sincere, patient, and helpful. It has been a joy parenting him over these last 18 years. We are excited to see and be apart of the next stage of David's life. We know it is going to be exciting, fulfilling, and successful.

936321_485327328206782_580907801_n.jpg

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

My son David has been doing once a month week end training at the Army National Guard for the last 10 months. David completed his last one today - Blue phase. Someone took a pic of Him and some of the others that ship out with him on June 3rd to BT in Oklahoma Fort Sill. David is on the far Left.

DavidslastRSPBluePhase.jpg

That is awesome!! To you and your son congrats. He is now going to be part of only 3% of the nation that serves. I have been in for 16 years and continue to enjoy it. The time will fly by.

What's his MOS? Best of luck at Ft. Sill David :salute:

Sherri,

David tested in the top 7% on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test and was able to land a job as a 35M - Human Intelligence Collector. David is currently E-3 Rank due to his qualifications.

Army MOS 35M Human Intelligence Collector

Congrats David!

Congrats to you and Tanabananna as well, Rob! Sherri is right....you have to be very proud. I now know why you take all of those damn pics.....For days like this, when it becomes so simple to look back and see the difference. David looks like a fine young man today.

Be sure and thank him for going to serve our beloved country from BIKEBOY. :salute:

Chris

Just helped Get Davids car ready for 8 months of storage while he is gone at the Army National Guard. Clean, Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, recent oil change, battery tender, car cover in place and tucked away in the back of my shop. Your 96 GT is going to miss you David....and so are we.

009-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

012-2.jpg

010-4.jpg

Sherri,

David tested in the top 7% on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test and was able to land a job as a 35M - Human Intelligence Collector. David is currently E-3 Rank due to his qualifications.

The top scoring answer as provided to us by Donald Rumsfeld.....we blow shit up, thats what we do!

Back to being serious now...Congrats to David, :salute:

• 1 month later...

David is doing very well in BCT. We get a couple letters a week from him with updates. Here is a pic of him with his M16. Note he has his first class insigna on his chest and his last name. He is the 2nd person from the left.

So proud of him. :salute:

DavidandhisM16.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

David is doing so well on all of his training. He is in the top 25% of his platoon. David got phone privileges the last 2 Sundays for 1/2 hour and called us both times to talk tell us about everything. He also writes us every 2-3 days and we write him a lot too. He likes getting mail and pic's from home and hearing what's going on here. We will fly to Fort Sill OK to see him for Family day and Graduation day. We get to take him off base for 8 hours each day to have some fun with him. He is soooooo looking forward to that. He wants to eat Pizza and have some doughnuts. He is craving some sweets. The Army has been taking Pic's of the platoon and posting them on There FB page. We keep finding a few of David. The one of him coming out of the Gas chamber is scarey.

I am so PROUD of my son !! :salute:

David-M16.jpg
DavidMarksmanship2.jpg
DavidMarksmanship.jpg
David-gaschamber.jpg

I received 1 letter Monday from David and 2 yesterday. He told me all about practicing throwing grenades. The practice ones have fireworks in them. Later in the week he got to chuck 2 real hand grenades. He dropped to the ground and then watched them blow up while he was behind a safety window. He said it was very cool.

See the link below for an idea of this drill.

http://www.army.mil/article/40039/

David is doing so well on all of his training. He is in the top 25% of his platoon. David got phone privileges the last 2 Sundays for 1/2 hour and called us both times to talk tell us about everything. He also writes us every 2-3 days and we write him a lot too. He likes getting mail and pic's from home and hearing what's going on here. We will fly to Fort Sill OK to see him for Family day and Graduation day. We get to take him off base for 8 hours each day to have some fun with him. He is soooooo looking forward to that. He wants to eat Pizza and have some doughnuts. He is craving some sweets. The Army has been taking Pic's of the platoon and posting them on There FB page. We keep finding a few of David. The one of him coming out of the Gas chamber is scarey.

I am so PROUD of my son !! :salute:

David-M16.jpg

DavidMarksmanship2.jpg

DavidMarksmanship.jpg

David-gaschamber.jpg

All those men look so very young !

All those men look so very young !

Most are 18 -19 years old. A few are 20 to 22.

David got to call home again tonight for 15 minutes. The did night simulated attacks and camped in the woods. Bed at 1am and up at 4am. He was pretty tired when we spoke. He gets a full 8 hours of sleep tonight and is very much looking forward to it.

Another soldier we have to thank for their service. Freedom is not Free and it continuous to be the 18 - 20 year olds where the rubber meets the road. Just watch a flight deck on a carrier. Billions of dollars and the boots on the ground are 18 to 20 years old. :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

David has Graduated from Basic Combat Training. June 3, 2013 - Aug. 17, 2013

Saturday evening we dropped David off at Fort Sill Army base. He just got his orders to have his gear packed by 6 AM because at 7 AM he heads to the Oklahoma airport for flight to Arizona. Once in Arizona he will start his training to be a human intelligence collector. That training is at least six months long, maybe longer. The last two days have been great. We were able to have David for 10 hours yesterday and today. The two days gave him the much-needed rest and relaxation that he needed after the last 2 1/2 months of basic combat training. I have noticed a big change in David. He has always been a very polite son. But now his manners, and just the way he conducts himself is different. The seven Army values have been instilled in him. Loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity and personal courage. It's hard to explain the difference that I see in my son. He is definitely a man that I am very proud of. :salute:

David2.jpg
David3.jpg
David1.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS DAVID - JOB WELL DONE !!!

Rob - you and Tana have every right to be proud of David and his accomplishment . The values that the Army have instilled in him are honorable ones ! :salute:

Top percentage of class also as I understand - glad you got an opportunity to share some time together and be there for the graduation ! :salute:

Archived