TEAM SHELBY FORUM

There's a New Pony in Grabbers Stable

Grabber

There is a new Pony in the stable tonight. Well it's not brand new, but it sure looks like it and drives like it.

It's a 1996 Mustang GT. Pure stock, and un-molested. 28,531 miles on it. One owner vehicle - 65 year old man. It was his pride and joy. This thing is straighter than and arrow, and cleaner than a whistle. This will be my son David's car after he gets his drivers licence in 2 years. Next year when he gets his learners permit....I will teach him to drive.

Here's what she looks as I just pulled it into the driveway.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08005.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08006.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08007.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08008.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08009.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08010.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08011.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08012.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08018.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08019.jpg

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pic's of David with the car. Boy is he happy. We are going to be spending some time over the next year making this car look like it rolled off the showroom floor. David will show it at some car shows too.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08002.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08003.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08004.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08020.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08021.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08022.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08024.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08025.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08026.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08037.jpg

The guy kept the build sheet.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08047.jpg

...and the window sticker.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08045.jpg

...and the showroom pamplet.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08048.jpg

...and the original selling dealer plates.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08049.jpg

...and the Factory audio systems demonstration casset tape.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08050.jpg

:happy feet: WAY TO GO! :happy feet: :happy feet:

That interior looks brand new! :happy feet:

:happy feet: Congrats David! :happy feet:

OK, now we know he can't drive on the streets yet. But private property you don't need a license.

So Dad, hows about taking David out in the grass lot you got there and letting him learn to do some donuts??? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:shift::shift::shift:

Grabber,

I think you have possibly bought a rarer car than you might now....that might be a GTS. I know in 1995 Ford offered a stripped down version of the GT with no power options, just basic car but with GT engine suspenion, etc.

I do not know if this was offered in 1996, but if it was, I think you not only got a great low mileage car, but also a rarer model. :yahoo:

Congrats to DAVID! Now teach him well how to wash it!!!!!! No excuse to NOT shine like the GT500. :banvictory:

Nevermind...I read your other thread....You KNOW what you have......I should have expected thorough research..... :reading:

I know the feeling with finding a great used car Grabber. I just picked up a 2001 GT from the original owner....34,000 mile car...in very similar shape to yours....it still smelled a little new on the inside. So far, I have been nothing but impressed with it. I even got a compliment with it tonight out at dinner!

A clean car will always generate positive review! :yahoo:

Take care,

John

Shelbydude,

We will find a industrial park to practice the clutch, and go for many rides in the car.

During the next year I will teach my son how to care for this car. How to detail it, every nook and cranny. I will let him do the most all work under my supervision. He will be all hands on. I will show him how to pull the tires and then we will take them down to get new rubber on them. The tires are old and mis matched. We will do a tune up on the car, and detail the engine bay.

There are going to be many rules with this car, or there will be no driving once he gets of age. 3.0 GPA is a must, and has not been a problem for my son.....so he must keep it up or no driving. All the rules will be put down on paper and agreed on.

For now this car is a little project for us. When we are done....it will be just like brand new. In the year 2011 this 1996 Mustang GT will be Davids daily driver. The car will be 15 years old at that time and have maybe 30K mile on it.

You are correct, this is a GTS.

A couple of things to prove it. NO fog lights, and the V6 interior. Pretty cool because Ford didnt make alot of them.

michael morris

Nevermind just read the thread. Of course you knew what you were buying. Still makes it COOL

michael morris

Sudguy,

Yes it is a rare car.

This 1996 Mustang GT with the 4.6L (281 ci) SOHC V8 was purchased with the limited 248A option (or GTS as it was referred to in the 94-95 models). This car is fairly rare with Only 5,479 units sold in 96.

The 248A option was marketed toward driving purists who wanted all the power and performance of a GT without all the heavy accessories the GT’s came standard with. So what you got was a mustang with the GT running gear that weighed less than a standard GT, making it even faster than a fully loaded GT. :happy feet:

Per Car fax...this car had to go thru california emissions and the miles got documented.

The car fax report shows:

The first 4 years...20,771 miles

The next 2 years....1636 miles.

The next 2 years 2070 miles.

The next 2 years...2207 miles.

The next 2-1/2 years 1866 miles.

MustangGTarrival7-14-08058.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08059.jpg

MustangGTarrival7-14-08061.jpg

Nice find. :happy feet:

My son is 8. Do you think it's too soon for us to start looking?

Thanks.

Just clear it thru your wifey and you will be good to go. :happy feet:

What a lucky boy you have. I noticed that even his clothes match the color of the car. My son is looking for his first car, it's not easy....

All the best....

Rick

Yes.....Black is his favorite color.

Grabber, that car is too nice for your son to use as his daily driver. That should be his garage queen and car show car. You need to find him an extra one!! :lol:

GREAT FIND FAYGO!

David will love working on it. I'll look around home/office & see if I have a little something for both David & you that will make working together on the car a little more easy :D

ps: check those date coded tires, might be time to replace them for safety sake

Thanks Rodney. Yes, the tires are old and need to be replaced.

Congrats to you and David, looks like a new car. I know you were thinking about restoring one with him, which would be fun too, but this is a great way to build his interest in Mustangs. A few shows he will be hooked for life.

Al

Grabber this is pretty funny my son who is 15 1/2 just bought a 1996 Mustang GT in Forest Green. I emailed Ford to get some information about his car and they sent a letter with the some of the options and the build date which was 9/5/95. From the production numbers his car in that color was 1 of 4,687.

Here is the rest of the Mustang by color for 1996.

1996 Mustangs BY COLOR

Color Name Paint Code Units Sold

Laser Red E9 25,204

Black NA 23,726

Crystal White ZR 20,189

Pacific Green PS 18,592

Rio Red E8 14,490

Midnight (Moonlight) Blue KM 7,655

Deep Violet JS 4,769

Deep Forest Green NA 4,687

Opal Frost WJ 4,392

Mystic (Cobra) LF 1,950

Bright Tangerine CM 829

I know you were thinking about restoring one with him, which would be fun too, but this is a great way to build his interest in Mustangs. A few shows he will be hooked for life.

Al

I thought about this over the last month and after looking at some old fixer uppers that had rust damage and other mech. and safety issues I had to ask my self how much money would these fixer uppers take to make them safe for my son and looking decent. I found that it would take double of what I paid for this car, and the car would still not have the latest safety features like air bags and other features that come standard with the 1996 Mustang GT.

This car being a GTS model means that there should not be any problems with all the little accessories going out....since there are not many on the car. Some think I paid too much for the car, but you can't find this car anywhere with 28K miles. I paid $9,700 dollars for it, and after I put a set of new tires on it and do a micro detail job on it.....It will be just like a new car. There is no way I could get this kind of value and safety in a 30 year old fixer upper car.

I drove the car last night on the freeway home......and it is very sweet indeed. My son will be 16 on Sept. 15, 2011, and at that time the car will be 15 years old, so it will have some minor "classic" heritage going for it. Last night my son was in the shop on the top of the stairs just looking down at the car from a high vantage point, and he told me "Dad, I think that Mustangs are the best cars out there". :happy feet:

I thought about this over the last month and after looking at some old fixer uppers that had rust damage and other mech. and safety issues I had to ask my self how much money would these fixer uppers take to make them safe for my son and looking decent. I found that it would take double of what I paid for this car, and the car would still not have the latest safety features like air bags and other features that come standard with the 1996 Mustang GT.

This car being a GTS model means that there should not be any problems with all the little accessories going out....since there are not many on the car. Some think I paid too much for the car, but you can't find this car anywhere with 28K miles. I paid $9,700 dollars for it, and after I put a set of new tires on it and do a micro detail job on it.....It will be just like a new car. There is no way I could get this kind of value and safety in a 30 year old fixer upper car.

I drove the car last night on the freeway home......and it is very sweet indeed. My son will be 16 on Sept. 15, 2011, and at that time the car will be 15 years old, so it will have some minor "classic" heritage going for it. Last night my son was in the shop on the top of the stairs just looking down at the car from a high vantage point, and he told me "Dad, I think that Mustangs are the best cars out there". :happy feet:

Totally agree and think you made a great choice and got a great car.

Al

Congrates to David, this is a very clean car. Alot of my friends at my local Mustange club would love to find a car like this and make it a track car. We also have an eye out looking for a car for my daughter she will be driving in September. I noticed that the car has an extra security system installed and a full tank of gas! Was this car the one you mentioned last week on your cruise with friends and you saw this car for sale? And you and Tanna decided to purchase it for him? Black is the fastest car!

Archived