TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

Gentlemen,

I have spent more money fixing my hood scoop than any other member. In total, over $5,000.00 doing the development work and redoing everything until I had it perfect. And I enjoyed every moment of that project and every dime that I spent. I love Shelby Automobiles and the reincarnation of several different versions of Shelby Mustangs is a dream come true for me. I don't think that shoddy workmanship was to blame here. The original hood scoops on our cars were made out of a material that had been used successfully on countless automobiles for many years. Bumper covers, trim moldings, filler moldings, and so on. It just didn't work out when placed directly above a hot engine as extremes of heat and cold caused it to warp. Shelby was very proactive and developed 4 different hood scoops in total. They spent a ton of money on warranty repairs. But to do those warranty repairs they had to rely upon body shop personnel that had probably never seen or worked on a Shelby GT before. Almost every one of these warranty repairs was a first attempt. A typical body man does not drill holes into aluminum hoods and rivet painted fiberglass parts to it very often, if ever. The results of all of this was predictably and unavoidably, an inconsistent crapshoot. Short of having every one of the cars shipped back to Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas, which was impossible, dealerships all across the country had to perform these repairs.

So it didn't work out perfectly. But I don't think anybody could say that Shelby Automobiles didn't put some serious effort into this and spend a lot of money trying to satisfy their owners.

So why did I develop a different hood scoop? For the same reason many of you put superchargers on your cars. You were willing to spend your own money for a high quality component to improve your car and/or correct a deficiency. In a perfect world, nothing would ever break. Even when a repair is covered under warranty, it's still a major inconvenience. The hood scoop was bugging me so I decided I would rather fix it myself on my own dime rather than have a dealership attempt a second or third repair under warranty.

I love my Shelby GT. Now that my hood scoop is fixed..... I have nothing to complain about!!

Chip

Amen Brother !

I ordered Chip's scoop this past fall and it is finally getting installed ! I went by the body shop yesterday and the scoop is installed and the car is prepped for painting on the stripes. The body shops "vinyl sign" guy could not get the SHELBY GT lettering correct, so I had our art department get it right (Myriad Pro Bold Italic 163 pt, it is a standard Adobe font). I have a friend who works at Fast Signs and they are making the letters on Monday, so hopefully we will see paint on the car early next week. I will post photos once I get the Shelby back.

Waiting on a Chip Beck functional side scoop rear brake cooling kit !

Take Care,

Andrew

Guess it's my turn in the barrel! Took my '08, SGT0618 in for the new scoop yesterday. Dealer said it would take 2-3 days to do the job.

That's okay, rather have 'em take their time and do it right. Got a call this a.m. that all was going well EXCEPT the blue tape for the scoop was about 2 shades lighter than the original and/or the paint! Dealer called SAI, said they were surprised but would send another asap.

When the scoop arrived at the dealer we took a look at it and I was pleased with the quality. Never thought to check the tape.

Anyway, I'll post the results when it's done. Hope it's just the way I want it.

Don

Picked up my car with the new scoop yesterday. The dealer almost did a great job. 2 problems: (1) tape on top of scoop is off center a little at the windshield end and (2) someone managed to put a scratch, with a deeper gouge at one end, on the scoop flange between 2 rivets. Body shop tried to clean it up but it's too deep. New scoop and stripe are on order.

There is a significant gap between the black recessed piece at the front of the scoop and the hood surface on the driver's side. Approx. 1/16

of an inch. Any realistic solutions for that?

Thanks, Don

Picked up my car with the new scoop yesterday. The dealer almost did a great job. 2 problems: (1) tape on top of scoop is off center a little at the windshield end and (2) someone managed to put a scratch, with a deeper gouge at one end, on the scoop flange between 2 rivets. Body shop tried to clean it up but it's too deep. New scoop and stripe are on order.

There is a significant gap between the black recessed piece at the front of the scoop and the hood surface on the driver's side. Approx. 1/16 of an inch. Any realistic solutions for that?

Thanks, Don

Don,

Yes, see post #448 above. Another first attempt gone bad. New scoop and stripe are on order, let's take another crack at this. :banghead: And now, because that scoop is riveted on, how much additional damage will be done while the shop drills those rivets back out. Some will come out cleanly, and some will spin. It appears that that black plastic block off plate doesn't mate particularly well with the hood when installed in the new Shelby scoop. Whatever hand fitting needs to be done to get that plate to sit on the hood properly will have to be done before your next scoop is riveted down.

This repair is strictly cosmetic. It obviously has no impact upon the function of the car. If, when the repair is done, there are still gaps or something ill fitting, the repair attempt has failed and you are right back where you were when you started this whole process. Fixing the cosmetics of the Shelby GT hood scoop look like they would be pretty easy. The reality is, it's very difficult.

Chip

Don,

Yes, see post #448 above. Another first attempt gone bad. New scoop and stripe are on order, let's take another crack at this. :banghead: And now, because that scoop is riveted on, how much additional damage will be done while the shop drills those rivets back out. Some will come out cleanly, and some will spin. It appears that that black plastic block off plate doesn't mate particularly well with the hood when installed in the new Shelby scoop. Whatever hand fitting needs to be done to get that plate to sit on the hood properly will have to be done before your next scoop is riveted down.

This repair is strictly cosmetic. It obviously has no impact upon the function of the car. If, when the repair is done, there are still gaps or something ill fitting, the repair attempt has failed and you are right back where you were when you started this whole process. Fixing the cosmetics of the Shelby GT hood scoop look like they would be pretty easy. The reality is, it's very difficult.

Chip

Chip,

Thanks for your response. It's all very frustrating. I've waited until I was resonably sure we had a "good" fix but somebody was just plain careless. On the other hand, it looks a whole lot better than the original! I'm inclined to let it go "as is" and see what can be done down the road.

I know the fit to the hood doesn't affect function in any way but thought maybe airflow under the scoop at higher speeds might tend to work on trying to lift the scoop and, in turn, put added, or undue load on the rivets.

I've got a couple of days to decide.

Thanks again, Don

I had my hood scoop and and stripes replaced twice. First I had mine replaced at Tasca when I lived in CT and they did a horrible job. The stripes didn't line up with the center of the hood, a rivet didn't go in properly, the hood scoop had multiple scratches, worst of all there was sand or dirt under stripes on the hood. This was a week before I moved to IA last summer and of course the stripes started peel by the rivets which was the problem that I wanted fixed initally. I had my stripes and hood scoop replaced at a regular SVT dealer in IA and they did an excellent job, I also had no problems with SAI about having the stripes fixed multiple times.

CSM#08SGT1289

I had my hood scoop and and stripes replaced twice. First I had mine replaced at Tasca when I lived in CT and they did a horrible job. The stripes didn't line up with the center of the hood, a rivet didn't go in properly, the hood scoop had multiple scratches, worst of all there was sand or dirt under stripes on the hood. This was a week before I moved to IA last summer and of course the stripes started peel by the rivets which was the problem that I wanted fixed initally. I had my stripes and hood scoop replaced at a regular SVT dealer in IA and they did an excellent job, I also had no problems with SAI about having the stripes fixed multiple times.

CSM#08SGT1289

You've got the CSM closest to mine that I've seen. :)

Ken

My SGT is currently in and under the knife for the scoop/stripes warranty work at the dealership I bought it from. They outsourced the work to a different body shop than the one attached to the dealership. Service MGR didn't feel confident that their body shop could do this work. There was another SGT that had the front end rearranged by a deer which they also sent to this same shop. (That makes 2 hood scoop/stripe replacements this same body shop was working on).

I'm axious to see what happens. If this doesn't work out, I may end up calling Chip Beck, Or throwing some serious coin at my CS6 hood to cut out some of the underside and add KR/Super Snake Grille Vents to it, and then calling it good.

Trevor

Chip,

Thanks for your response. It's all very frustrating. I've waited until I was resonably sure we had a "good" fix but somebody was just plain careless. On the other hand, it looks a whole lot better than the original! I'm inclined to let it go "as is" and see what can be done down the road.

I know the fit to the hood doesn't affect function in any way but thought maybe airflow under the scoop at higher speeds might tend to work on trying to lift the scoop and, in turn, put added, or undue load on the rivets.

I've got a couple of days to decide.

Thanks again, Don

what dealership are you at?

I brought my car to the body shop of my choice today for an estimate. This is easily the most well known and well regarded shop in town. They've been in business for 30 years and nearly every restored Mustang and modified Mustang in Sacramento has been through their doors.

They're charging the Ford dealer $300 to install the new scoop and stripes.

However, that $300 is actually just going to come off of the top of what I'm actually having them do. They're going to cut a hole underneath the new scoop that's on order, wrap the inside edges with a rubber collar, prep the underside of the new scoop so that it's smooth inside and out (and functional), paint the new scoop to actually match the stripes, install the scoop with stainless button head bolts, and paint the stripes on.

For all of this, after Ford pays their $300, my cash out of pocket will be just about $500. Well worth the investment, IMO. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Ken

Ken, You may want to PM Chip for further discussion. I seem to recall Chip posting that the SAI hood scoop could not handle the heat if you opened the hood.

..... Or throwing some serious coin at my CS6 hood to cut out some of the underside and add KR/Super Snake Grille Vents to it, and then calling it good.

Trevor

Trevor, are you having issue with your CS6 hood also? The reason I ask is I'm thinking about having one put on mine along with the SC and I don't want to pay for more problems.... but the CS6 hood is just sooooo sexy!!!!

Ken, You may want to PM Chip for further discussion. I seem to recall Chip posting that the SAI hood scoop could not handle the heat if you opened the hood.

He was most likely referring to the original scoop, as it couldn't handle the heat from the engine without a hole cut in the hood.

This new scoop is a much better build and shouldn't have any trouble with the engine heat. I'll definitely keep an eye on it though and let you know if any problems develop.

Ken

Edited by kahmann

Trevor, are you having issue with your CS6 hood also? The reason I ask is I'm thinking about having one put on mine along with the SC and I don't want to pay for more problems.... but the CS6 hood is just sooooo sexy!!!!

Doug,

The underside of the CS6 Hood sits approx 1" lower everywhere under the hood. It bearly clears the strut tower brace. I have contact points with the outer 2 bolts on the strut towers, the intake tube, the throttle body right where the intake tube connects also. It's just really tight.

Depending on which supercharger you go with, you may have to cut out a little of the underside of the CS6 hood.

With the Whipple, you have to cut out a decent portion of the center area directly above the unit, intake & the pulley.

With the Kenne Bell - it actually sits lower than the Whipple, however, the intake tube on the R side will likely not clear.

With the Paxton - the supercharger housing itself often makes contact with the underside of the CS6 hood directly above the unit itself.

There's a thread in the 'Shelby CS' section where some have cut out the underside of the hood and reglassed/painted it. There's always been the issue of how to get heat/air out from under the hood of the Mustang. I'd thought about having a body shop cut in the KR/Super Snake hood vents on the CS6 hood to fix this. And to cut out some of the underside portion of the hood. Some have made them somewhat functional by drilling holes through some of the holes on the faux hood grille and cutting out the center portion of the underside of the hood allowing some heat/air out. (Not totally effective, but helps)

The CS6 Hood does look sweet on the Shelby GT and GT-H. I get lots of compliments on it and still feel like it was totally worth it.

Just keep in mind that the CS6 hood does have some of it's own issues. We can discuss this further in PM if you wish or on the phone. I've done some solid research on this prior to making the decision to spend the coin on it, and now after having it installed.

Rest assured - if SAI is offering to have the CS6 hood installed on your car with the Shelby GT/SC upgrade, they've already figured out all this and have figured out how/what to do about it.

Carry on!

Edited by TClark1976

I dropped my SGT off at Gold River Auto Body this morning before work. Troy told me that they'd need it till Friday morning.

Again, once their done, I'll have a functional scoop and painted on stripes. I'm pretty excited to get her back this time! Hopefully this is the LAST time I have to monkey with the hood scoop.

Here are some pics I took last night after pulling the insulation blanket off in my garage. I'm going to leave it off permanently. I like this look a lot better than the dusty black blanket.

Ken

DSC05572.jpg

DSC05577.jpg

DSC05579.jpg

I dropped my SGT off at Gold River Auto Body this morning before work. Troy told me that they'd need it till Friday morning.

Again, once their done, I'll have a functional scoop and painted on stripes. I'm pretty excited to get her back this time! Hopefully this is the LAST time I have to monkey with the hood scoop.

Here are some pics I took last night after pulling the insulation blanket off in my garage. I'm going to leave it off permanently. I like this look a lot better than the dusty black blanket.

Ken

DSC05572.jpg

DSC05577.jpg

DSC05579.jpg

Are you doing a complete repaint or only the panels covered by the main stripe?

Are you doing a complete repaint or only the panels covered by the main stripe?

Just the stripes are being painted on. That way the whole hood won't need to be cleared, which will still leave a slight edge to the stripes, which I prefer anyway.

Ken

EDIT: I just called him and asked for a quote to color match the mirrors. I'll post it once I get a call back.

Edited by kahmann

Ken, Be sure to post us some pics when you get it back. I want to open the hood someday too and like how you said you are finishing off the inside cuts to trim them out. I bet it looks great.

Sure thing Chill, I'll definitely get pics up asap. Hopefully I'll have some to post by Friday eve.

Ken

My dealer is in the process of acquiring a replacement hood and stripes. Once these get replaced, will I get to keep the old parts? I'm particularly interested in keeping ALL of the original parts for every mod.

Ken, I just saw the butcher job the dealer did on your scoop and stripes. Damn! I would have gone absolutely ape s@#! I guess I was one of the lucky ones. My dealer did a great job even though they hadn't done one before. They did tell me up front that if they messed it up I could take it to my shop of choice. I'd bet after this time you won't have any stripe or scoop problems.

rush_junky - Regarding keeping the parts. It varies. Some here have reported they got to keep them. I asked to keep mine but was told they had to be returned to SAI or the dealer had to pay for the parts.

Chuck

My dealer is in the process of acquiring a replacement hood and stripes. Once these get replaced, will I get to keep the old parts? I'm particularly interested in keeping ALL of the original parts for every mod.

Gentlemen,

When parts are replaced under warranty the customer does not get to keep the old parts. I know it happens sometimes but the old parts must be kept by the dealer until a factory rep scraps them or has them returned to the maker for analysis.

Chip

Gentlemen,

When parts are replaced under warranty the customer does not get to keep the old parts. I know it happens sometimes but the old parts must be kept by the dealer until a factory rep scraps them or has them returned to the maker for analysis.

Chip

Ah...OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed....

Thanks Chuck and Chip !

Well I picked the car up this afternoon. And yet again, I'm beside myself with disappointment.

The scoop is absolutely perfect. It's functional, the rivets have been replaced with allen head, stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts. It looks awesome.

The stripes, however, are the absolute opposite. The gap is wrong. At the top, it's 1 1/16" and at the bottom it's 15/16". The stripes are off-center. They basically followed the same line that the 1st shop used, which is off by about 1/2". This isn't me being picky. It looks retarded from a distance and close up.

They also forgot the blue stripe down the scoop, just like the 1st shop. The guy that did all the work claimed not to be part of the conversation about it, but he was. I was talking to him and the other guy, who disappeared the day after I first spoke to them about the work.

I'll post pics up in a few. In the meantime, I've stopped payment on the check I cut and called Downtown Ford to have them put a hold on the PO they cut, until I can get this resolved.

At this point, I'm going to ask that they re-spray the entire hood in Vista Blue and just apply the vinyl from Ford. I'll have to find yet another shop down the road to paint all the stripes on. These guys aren't it though.

Anyway, again, the hood scoop is perfect and looks awesome. I just can't believe I'm left with the same debacle with the stripes, even after having them painted on by the most highly recommended shop in town. With the holiday weekend, they wouldn't be able to start on it again till Tuesday. I'm supposed to embark on the 10 hour journey north to Grabber's get together on Thursday. Worst case, I'll leave Friday, but I have a feeling that this won't be done in time.

Ken

I just took these tonight in my garage, so the lighting isn't the best, but you'll get the idea.

You ought to be able to see that the stripes are off-center. It's tough to capture how bad the edges of the stripes are. The entire hood needs to be clear coated to take care of that.

As for the scoop, again, I'm very pleased. I love being able to see daylight through it. It's sitting perfectly flush, the bolts look awesome, and I couldn't be happier. As for the rubber seal they were going to put around the inside edge of the new hole, they had to order one since it's so thick. Obviously, you'll notice the lack of blue down the center of the scoop. I really hope that these guys will resolve this for me next week. They did such a nice job with the scoop and have been in business for so long, I only hope that they're capable of painting 2 stripes correctly. We'll see.

Ken

DSC05781.jpg

DSC05775.jpg

DSC05776.jpg

DSC05777.jpg

DSC05783.jpg

DSC05789.jpg

Ken,

The scoop looks fantastic!! Congratulations!! Bummer about the stripes, I hope they do right by you. Keep us posted. You would think painting on stripes and centering them would not be that difficult. Obviously it is. Again, the scoop looks great.

Chuck

That sucks. So close yet so far. :banghead: I'm getting ready to swap my stripes and scoop in a week or so. I planned on opening up the scoop as well. My worries are the bolts and nuts causing corrosion problems down the road. Did they isolate them from the hood somehow? Also, are you putting the blanket back on? If not, did you consider painting under the hood as well?

I say there is no excuse for painting the stripes crooked like that. Once the center was masked, all he had to do is step back and he could have seen that it was off. :finger:

Well after seeing my car today, 08SGT1234 says that my scoop and stripes are the worst he has seen so far. :o

I am in a quandry as what to do. I asked TASCA if they could do the fix but have not heard back from them... :lurk:

I am thinking about taking matters into my own hands like Chip Beck and installing his functional scoop. :shrug: